Previewing Tony Romo and the Congressional Boos

There are certain standards in golf, and certain standards at Congressional Country Club. You don't wear your baseball hat backwards. You don't wear cargo shorts. You don't yell at golfers mid-swing, and you sure as heck don't boo.

Wednesday morning will put those standards to a severe test, when Tiger Woods, Tony Romo, John Boehner and one other as-yet unnamed fellow tee off together from No. 10 at 6:30. Think less "Get in the hole!," and more "Fall in that ditch, Romo!"

"Oh, I'm gonna definitely boo him," said one extremely well-respected member of Congressional, who, being a Washingtonian, asked that her name not be used. "This is Redskins territory. It's like the Yankees; you hate the Yankees, and you hate the Cowboys. I might have to wear a Redskins shirt."

"It's a matter of principle," added another Congressional member, who ALSO requested anonymity. "He's basically asking for it, showing his face here."

Gary Williams, as seen above, recommended that fans boo, so that Romo can feel at home, or as he usually feels in D.C., anyhow. And Paul Goydos gave D.C. fans a waiver on the normal rules of etiquette.

"Do I think they should interfere with the round of golf? No," said Goydos, himself a Rams fan. "Do I think they should give him some [stuff] if they get the opportunity? That's part of life. He gets paid very well. I don't know that you should be hassling Tiger because he's got Romo out there. But a Cowboy coming into Redskin or Eagle or Giant territory has to expect that a little bit. For me to tell them it's inappropriate is not fair. Those people are nuts."

"That's to be expected, right?" agreed Kevin Stadler.

The other interesting fact, noted by the Washington Times, is that Jason Campbell, Bruce Boudreau, Antwaan Randle El and Mike Weir will be teeing off in the group just behind Tiger and friends, at around 6:40 a.m. So theoretically, if one of those Redskins gents has extra Wheaties tomorrow morning and is feeling frisky, he could send a stray ball into the next group and in Romo's general direction. Just a possibility.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 30, 2009; 10:37 PM ET
Categories:  Golf , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RePo'd Carts, and Lannan on the Bandwagon
Next: Redskins, Tiger Woods and Jessica Simpson

Comments

I say we just burn down the golf corse and call it a day.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 1, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

AFLAC!?

---

For him to come here to D.C., certainly I didn't realize it was gonna be THIS big a deal.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 1, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

They're not booing, they're saying Booooehner!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I was saying Boo-urns

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I sat behind the cowboys bench in the 07 game and gave Romo the heckling of a lifetime. My personal favorite will always be: "Hey Romo, how does Nick Lachey taste?"

He did not like that one.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't this be a Terry Tate situation but only have London Fletcher emerge from the tree line and take Romo out just as he's about to putt.

Posted by: bkhoward | July 1, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Hey Romo, how does Nick Lachey taste?"

Barno1...I love you man. You are my freaking hero.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | July 1, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

He did not like that one.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

*Priceless* : ) thanks for a good laugh

Posted by: ttn703 | July 1, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno 1,
Good one man, I'm sure Romo was thinking dam he got me good especially when Jessica comes into the bedroom wearing her Daisy Duke outfit! I'm sure Romo's thinking it sucks to be me, I'm a multi millionaire and I get to have sex with Daisy Duke but Barno 1 is right so I'm not going to. Maybe I'll go back to having sex with Carrie Underwood because she's not hot either!

Posted by: Caps73 | July 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse