Redskins Explain New Tailgating and Parking System

Here's the release:

A new FedEx Field parking lot will be opened for thousands of Washington Redskins fans with the onset of the 2009 season, the team announced today. Additionally, new post-game traffic patterns and parking policies will be implemented to improve traffic flow in parking lots and on stadium roads.

"We expect to have more tailgaters than ever," said Mitch Gershman , the Redskins Chief Operating Officer. "Those who want to meet with their friends will have more space, and those who want to simply park will find it easier to do so."

Opening of the new Gray lot off of Landover Road will now allow all fans with season parking the ability to park in lots on FedEx Field property, within sight and walking distance of the stadium. Nearly 3,000 new parking spaces were added to the stadium property.

The new lot was opened and traffic patterns revised after extensive review by an outside consulting firm, as well as benchmarking with other major stadiums around the country.

The most significant new procedure will have parking attendants directing fans who wish to tailgate in more than one space to the back of lots, where they will be allowed to occupy two spaces until required for additional vehicles. Fans who wish to only park, or tailgate within their single parking spot, will be directed to the front of lots, filling the lot from front to back. Tailgating is permitted in all lots, except Platinum. Platinum lot parkers who choose to tailgate will be provided passes for Purple lots.

"Everyone who wants to tailgate should be able to tailgate. We absolutely believe that," Gershman said. "This is designed to improve the experience for fans who want to tailgate."

"Our outside consultant analyzed the flow on roads and in the parking lots at FedEx Field, with cameras recording the traffic patterns. What we found was that when tailgaters spread into multiple spaces, it caused congestion in the lots, and resulted in inconvenience to everyone - the fans tailgating and the fans who were just looking to park in their assigned lots," Gershman said.

The team will no longer maintain game-day, cash parking lots since there are numerous private operators in the stadium vicinity providing the service.

During post-game congestion periods, cars exiting lots will be directed to dedicated traffic lanes, a procedure that has been in effect for pre-game traffic for several years. The team is also in discussions with Prince George 's County officials on the possibility of making traffic one-way leading to the Beltway during peak post-game congestion around the stadium, amongst other changes that can improve the game day experience.

The team also announced that it has enhanced its in-stadium text alert system. Introduced last year for the first full season, the text system allows fans to use their cell phones or PDAs to conveniently alert stadium officials to any concerns or unruly behavior in their sections. The team has added more stadium ushers, and will dedicate more senior-level staff to manage and monitor the system, and direct the appropriate response to any situation.

"Like other stadiums, we found that fans consider this system a true enhancement to their game-day experience," Gershman said. "It helps us get maintenance, security, or medical staff moving faster and more efficiently if the need arises."

The Redskins will also introduce electronic scanning of tickets, ending the practice of "ripping" tickets as fans enter the stadium and allowing greater flexibility in tracking seat use.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 22, 2009; 1:35 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barry Likes "The United," Doesn't Like "Redskins"
Next: Manny Acta, Positivity and Patience

Comments

This is a bunch of BS and it will not improve the game day experience at all. This is the Redskins PR Department scrambling to stop the ground swell and the rumors floating around out there. They opened the Grey lot because the Blue Lot is gone not because they wanted to add more spaces.

Posted by: G20FdaCowboys | June 22, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It is ridiculous that they claim they eliminated the cash parking lots because of the "numerous private operators in the stadium vicinity providing the service." When has Dan Snyder *EVER* left a single dollar in someone else's hands? The problem is they were paying too much money for the Metro buses they needed to use to shuttle people in from their own cash lots for the lots to be profitable (SEE: Metro Stations, 2008 cancellation of shuttle bus service from). The moment they ceased being a revenue generator, the Danny had no problem depriving his fans of that service.

Nice how they offer no guidance on where those cash lots are or how one is to get from them to the stadium. This is going to lead to absolute chaos during the first game next season, when all the people expecting to find cash parking and shuttles to the stadium end up not knowing where to park and/or having to walk miles to the stadium.

Dan, can you look into this? I'd love to hear where cash lot patrons are expected to park and how they get to the stadium from there.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 22, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

looks good on paper.....but not a realistic approach. Nearly all tailgaters are not "literally" taking multiple spaces for their tailgate - they are not parking diagonally across two spaces...what they are doing (or will claim they are doing) is "congregating" in the second space, not "tailgating" as there will be no car/tailgate occupying in the 2nd space. This will lead to even more confusion, disagreement, fights, etc.

The game-day experience is just horrible and getting worse every year. "Tailgating" at home with friends and enjoying the game on the big-screen HD is SO much better.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | June 22, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I used to be a Skins season-tix holder. I can say unabashedly that the tailgating ALWAYS presented a problem for people parking.

It's a great thing to do/be a part of if you are planning on arriving 4 hours early and have a block party.

But if you plan to arrive an hour or so before gametime and simply attend the game (like I used to), then you know how it is -having to drive past open spot after open spot b/c some tailgaters have their BBQs and chairs set up and glare menacingly at you if you stop and expect them to move.

Posted by: p1funk | June 22, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 22, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure you're at the right stadium? This is simply not the case at Fed Ex, not with my countless experiences there. Fans are always willing to move their chairs etc for you to park, as long as you don't have a Cowboys flag hanging out your window.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 22, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I always park with two tires on the wrong side of the parking space, then set up the grill in the open space next to my car, discouraging people from even asking for the space. But p1funk is wrong that tailgaters won't move when it gets within an hour of kickoff, I want to see every play, so I've got my car packed and moved into a single space 45 to 60 minutes before gametime.

The new rules sound good to me, give me the extra space to set up my gear and keep the late-comers from driving through the tailgate area.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 22, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

If I am reading this correctly, if you have multiple people (and multiple cars) in your tailgate, and you don't show up at the same exact time as your fellow tailgaters, you will not be allowed to park next to them. Also, you will not be able to choose where you park, but will be subject to the whims of the parking attendants and Michael Wiggins, the power hungry toadie and czar of the parking lot.

Posted by: dclance | June 22, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And WHERE is this mystical grey lot?

Posted by: dclance | June 22, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Some parking lot attendant telling me where I can park will really suck. We always get there early to get our same spot each game-- we never take up more than one space and do not obstruct others. We choose our space based on access to the grass, woods, friends, etc. It's starting to really wear on me Dannyboy! We pay alot of money to come to the games and for parking-- give us a break!!!

Posted by: budgriff1 | June 22, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

my family has had season tickets since grifith stadium. i wasnt around then, but have been going to games since the very early 80's. that being said, going to Fed X just isnt that fun anymore. Its a giant dump and the game experience is crap. pumping music at every single stop in play annoys me, almost 75% of our fans are so hammered they can barely stand up and I have seen way too many fights the last few times out.

F U Danny Boy. I've just about had enough.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | June 22, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

And WHERE is this mystical grey lot?

Posted by: dclance | June 22, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

RFK stadium, just like when the nats use it.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 22, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I actually like the new setup and I tailgate as early as possible for every game. The traffic flow is miserable. So miserable I'd often just finish whatever booze I had left while waiting 1-2 hours for traffic to clear some. I don't see what the problem is besides a few people will have to readjust tailgating with their BFF's. Jesus. Get over it

Posted by: fushezzi | June 22, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

This makes sense at first but when you think about it, it is going to cause more problems. People that have larger tailgates used to take up one extra spot for their tailgates and then they cleaned up before kickoff so that late arrivers could park in the leftover spots. Now people will be expanding their tailgates out into the driving lanes more and it will cause more problems for people trying to drive through the lots. It is also punishing the early arriving big parties because they have to park all the way in the back of the lots.
This is crap. Dan Snyder is doing everything possible to get me to hate him even more and get rid of my season tickets.

Posted by: MeatSweats | June 22, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

PowerBoater69 writes: "I always park with two tires on the wrong side of the parking space...discouraging people from even asking for the space."

This is a perfect example of the self-important jerk who contributes to the miserable experience at FedEx. I guess that people arriving later could search rows and rows of a parking lot looking for the random empty space, but most sane people will just take the first available space they see, no matter where it is. Now you will know where the spots are and people like the author can setup their tailgate with all the space they need.

Posted by: skipper7 | June 22, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 22, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

How would you know I'm wrong?? It's donkeys like you who are taking up 2 spots forcing people to find other ones.

BTW -when you double park, did you pay for that second spot??

Posted by: p1funk | June 22, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | June 22, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, barno I'm sure. It's that monstrosity in the middle of an empty field in Landover...

Posted by: p1funk | June 22, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Well you shouldn't care about someone's menacing glare, if politely ask them if they could move their stuff so you can park there practically anyone would do it.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 22, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

It never ceases to amaze me just how sacrosanct some people's tailgate parties are.

Call me old fashioned but I go to a football game; professional, college, high school; I go to watch- GASP!- a football game.

I don't go to get stuffed and plastered in the parking lot hours before the game and again after the game is over.

And one thing that does destroy the "gameday experience" for me quicker than anything else are the jerks who are seven sheets to the wind before the coin flip. Anything that drives those people away is an improvement IMO.

Posted by: CapsNut | June 22, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

CapsNut: When the team has been as mediocre as it has been for so long, the fans have to do something to make going to games enjoyable.

When 7 cars catch on fire, it's time to keep things in check.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | June 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"When 7 cars catch on fire, it's time to keep things in check."

Or Pittsburgh fans out of the lot...

Posted by: CapsNut | June 22, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | June 22, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps. I guess it's asking wayyyy too much to simply expect people to honor the rules/expectations to begin with.

Of course if they did, there would be no need for this new policy, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | June 23, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Just think of the revenue PG County could make by issuing tickets for PI and Drinking in Public in the lots of Fedex and then running sobreity checkpoints after the game.

My company used to have luxury suite at Fedex but Danny Boy refused to renew the contract after we hung a sign out demanding new ownership. We do have season tickets but we donate them to service members and their families at Walter Reed and Bethesda.

Danny Boy is spoiled little rich boy who doesn't have a clue after his daddy's friends abandoned him and no longer provide his sorry butt with business. advice.

The Fedex experience sucks with all the drunks and jerks. You should be able to bring your kids to a NFL game but you can't at Fedex. At least Eagle fans are better behaved around kids than Deadskin fans.

Posted by: sheepherder | June 23, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

This is why I am and will continue to be a Ravens fan. They would never even dare to suggest such BS at M&T Bank Stadium. I suggest a few of you make that trip up the parkway...

Posted by: KyminDC | June 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Good policy change by the Skins. And to the complaining tailgaters, I say have a little cheese with that whine and you'll be fine.

Posted by: poguesmahone | June 23, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse