Austin Kearns Gets Emotional

Whatever else you want to say about Austin Kearns, don't try to say he doesn't care. This is a pretty hard interview to turn away from. And if Debbi Taylor had closed with "How much did that game-winning hit mean to you, after what you've gone through over the last few weeks?" instead of something about Jeff Suppan, it might have gotten a little damp down at Nats Ark.

You could also probably argue that the 18 hours from 10:30 pm Saturday through 4:30 pm Sunday will eventually mark one of the three or four best moments of the year for this team. I'm feeling downright chipper about the rest of this month, even though my prediction that the team would go 6-6 in Riggleman's first 12 games has gone down in flames. (4-7 and counting.)

(And please ignore the voice telling you the game was decided in 11 innings. I think.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 26, 2009; 5:49 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Could Shaq Get Into the White House?
Next: Morning Bog: Batista at the Nats Game

Comments

This is a good reminder that players are people. Kearns has been called every name in the book by some of you 'stards. By all means, he's had a terrible season, but he's a good kid who's trying damn hard. Now, please, continue with the DFA chant.

Posted by: hooverama | July 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

It's his first hit in 2 months...bringing his average over up to, gulp, .196...I'd be emotional too.

Posted by: HogsHaven | July 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I was sure -- SURE! -- that Kearns was gonna get a pie in the face during the interview. I remain disappointed that he did not.

Posted by: Hokienautic | July 26, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to you Austin Kearns!We all know what you've gone through...and this must have been a great day for you and your winning hit in the 10th! Tou're now batting .201 and hope this will be the start of your upward climb and improving offensive contribution to a team that has great potential in its start to a playoff team sooner than later...as we loyal Nat fans will pull for you to be a part of it.
Keep up your continuing best efforts!

Posted by: fbacolod29 | July 26, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's Debbi Taylor interviewing Mahatma Ghandi....."So Mr. Ghandi, did the 2 month hunger strike give you an 'Edge' in helping to bring British colonialism to an end in India?"

Posted by: dstout3423 | July 26, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I think she handled it well. Anybody could tell it was an emotional moment for him. And that came across without even having to state the obvious. She decided to keep it professional, and she should be respected for choosing that course.

Posted by: JoeTink | July 27, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Debbie with her usual clueless interview asking none of the right questions for the situation. Duh, maybe "So Austin, how does it feel after such a tough season?" I know she's married to someone else in the organization but, please, how much more of her - and Bob, the Gee Whiz Aw Shucks I'm an Okie Kid - are we going to have to live through. If he calls the team "The Boys" one more time... Bob, this ain't Tulsa or even St. Louis for "gosh" sakes.

Posted by: truke | July 27, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey truke, it seems like you have some anger issues. Some people including me, think that Bob and Rob are the best part of watching a Nats game. As far as Debbie, nobody really excels at that sideline stuff. The position does not call for it. I agree with others here, that Austin as on the verge of bigger emotions and she handled it very well.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 27, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Nope, no anger issues. Just the combination of having a journalism degree, being a local, and fifty years in and around baseball. Means I know a thing or two about DC, good journalism and baseball and, even if I didn't, I have a right to my opinion as you do to yours without being accused of "anger issues." I just prefer some intelligence and wit in the telecasts I watch.

Posted by: truke | July 27, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I forgot to add that, although he often gets his facts confused - including yesterday's rather bizarre misquote of FDR after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and saying that Roy Hobbs had been in the ML prior to being shot - I, too, enjoy Dibble. Never said otherwise. Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow all.

Posted by: truke | July 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse