Cowboys Fans Descend on Congressional

This is when I knew it was gonna be bad. We were on the 12th fairway, Tiger and Tony's third hole, when I saw a father and daughter in matching Romo jerseys perched around the green. That would be Joe Ramirez from Mechanicsburg PA, along with his five-year old daughter Dallas. Yeah, Dallas.

"Better than naming her Washington," he said.

And this, sports fans, is why you don't invite the Cowboys quarterback to play with the tournament host in Bethesda, even if they are both friends with Hank Haney. Honestly, for a good part of the day, it felt like being at FedEx Field on a certain late fall Monday evening, with a certain black and gold fan base emerging from dark vans like cockroaches, the kind of cockroaches that wear those gloating little smirks and whisper bad things about your treasured civic institutions under their breath.

The numbers today were exponentially smaller, but the Cowboys stuff was everywhere in that mob of people following Tiger and Tony. Just everywhere. Fathers, sons, daughters, old friends, new friends, hats and shirts and jerseys and visors. Everywhere. It rankled the soul, made your Gatorade Tiger Focus stick in your craw. It should be a mark that never leaves Tiger's resume, no matter how many times he says he loves D.C.

That would be Michael Sarner of Fairfax, one of the less outlandishly dressed of the Cowboys mob.

"How many playoff games has he won?" asked his friend, Mark Lindsey, and sure, there was some of that. But for most of the day, especially the early morning hours, it was all love from the crowd.

"People were nice," Romo said. "People inherently are good, I think, and it was a good reception out here. There's a lot more Cowboys fans than I thought, but even the Washington fans, it's just all in good fun, the way the day went. You know what to expect a little bit, but honestly, people were very respectful."

There were some who wanted to mouth off. There was Jim Davis from Gaithersburg, in a Skins polo and Skins hat, on the 15th green. "This isn't section 400 at the stadium, so I guess we're a little more polite," he said. "If someone else was doing it, I would join in."

"I haven't had the chance," said Jim Duke from Potomac, on the 16th fairway. "Given the opportunity, I'll do my part."

The two Zahady brothers, ages 7 and 9 3/4 and both wearing Romo, were heckled on a shuttle bus, with passengers saying no Cowboys fans were allowed. "I had to flex my muscles, put on the protective dad gear," joked their father, Phil.

There was Phil Yonker from Rockville, wearing a Dallas Sucks t-shirt; "Why wouldn't you wear something to represent D.C.?" he asked. "Are you kidding me?"

There was Teddy Socha from Rockville, outfitted in a Sean Taylor jersey. "Tony Romo's playing in D.C. and I'm a Redskins fan," he explained simply.

And there were the more vocal ones; Del Lynch, in an Art Monk hat, shouted out to "Hit it like it's December" from a few feet behind Romo on the 7th tee, and Chris Wellde from Ellicott City let a "Let's Go Redskins!" rip from the 9th. "Deservedly so, coming into Redskins territory," Wellde said. "Tony, you gonna miss T.O.?" at least one fan shouted out. And when a starter on that 7th tee asked for a nice Washington Redskins welcome for the visiting quarterback, there was a chorus of boos, just like there was during the Opening Shot festivities an hour later.

But still, everywhere you looked that dang star.

"Tiger and Tony together, you can't beat it," said Chauncey Strong, 39, of Alexandria. "To have the quarterback of the Cowboys with Tiger, my God. You can't beat it at all."

Antonio Infante asked course officials whether his jersey was inappropriate; not because of the colors, but because it was a football jersey on a golf course. They said he was fine, so he wore Romo, too.

"My quarterback's out here," he said.

Cowboys fans shouted out congratulations after Romo hit the fairway, roared when he out-drove Tiger, and wished their quarterback good luck in the upcoming season.

"America's team," noted Brett Zenewicz, wearing his "Romo wuz not built in a day" shirt. "There's nobody with the Redskins."

Indeed, the crowd following Antwaan Randle El and Jason Campbell was considerably smaller, though that might have been more about Mike Weir and Tiger Woods and less about Tony Romo, one would hope. And the crowd following Tiger also included Red Sox t-shirts, Yankees hats, Penguins hats, University of Kentucky hats, pink Cowboys hats, New York Giants hats, Broncos hats, Dolphins hats, and a guy in a LeBron James jersey. So let's just hope No. 9 jerseys don't become a staple for the rest of this week.

"I saw a lot of em out here today," Campbell observed. "I was trying to figure out, did they fly 'em here? I know they probably don't live here. They chartered a plane."

"No big thing to me," Randle El said. "What matters is what happens on the field."

(Note: I'm pretty sure that none of these folks pictured here appears more than once.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 1, 2009; 2:28 PM ET
Categories:  Golf , NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins, Tiger Woods and Jessica Simpson
Next: Gary Williams on Cheaters and Cheating

Comments

I see from the pictures that Cowgirls fans don't understand the concept of a "dress code." Must be foreign to them.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | July 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

To all the Redskins fans in attendance who did not boo, who did not heckle, and who stood by idly as Tony Romo played golf on our home turf: You should be ashamed of yourselves! You call yourselves Redskins fans?!? You should have given him hell!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

First the Red Sox fans took over Washington, now it's Cowboys fans. Ugh. Hey, Mr. Woods, I'n surprised you didn't bring any Pittsburgh Penguins into town for the pro-am.

Posted by: VPaterno | July 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

By Dan Steinberg | July 1, 2009; 2:28 PM ET

Jim, the world needs leaders. Not followers. This "if somebody else was doing it, I would join in" crap is why a hated Dallas Cowboys starting quarterback went through our Congressional Country Club unscathed. I wish I could have taken the day off to be there and heckle him myself, but for those of you that were there and did nothing but watch in silence, you have dishonored your city, your team, and yourself.

For shame!

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't we all chip in and pay for the DTC to show up with their bull horn? I really, really regret not going to this now. Never again.

Posted by: HogsHaven | July 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Tiger, Jessica, Romo, and Dallas ALL SUCK!!!

Posted by: carlos2121 | July 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hogs, I'm with you. If I had known only the silent, polite, p*ssy follower-type Redskins fans would show up--I'd have called in sick and been there with my heckling shoes in tow. This is a disgrace.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The dude in the middle of that bottom left picture is a tool. I've met him.

Posted by: rgpie | July 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods is an jackass. His bringing Romo here amounts to giving Redskins fans the finger.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Damn..we could have handed out 1000 of these things. Can you imagine him teeing off w/ the gallery lined with these?

Posted by: HogsHaven | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Love it! Wish I'd gone.

Posted by: nafspac | July 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Its one thing for all those gross Pittsburgh fans to be in the area. At least they're faithful, I'd say 90% of these Dallas fans have never been to Texas. It's disgusting really.

Posted by: Petey82 | July 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm just shocked that so many people actually own Romo jerseys. Who knew a guy most famous for having a famous girlfriend and throwing interceptions in December and January would have so many apparently devoted fans?

Posted by: TheFingerman | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The fact that they all walked away intact is proof of what's gone wrong with sports in recent years. Golf is for morons, anyway...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | July 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Are you contractually obligated to hate every DC sports team other than the Capitals, or is this just your thing. Shut up about the Steelers game. For the love of God. It's so pathetic reading the same old tired thoughts re-hashed in different posts. We get it. You think D.C. sports fans are terrible. Guess what? Myself and other skins fans have jobs. It's Wednesday. Also, this is Golf. Who cares?

Posted by: Andymr | July 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Seeing all those cowboys jerseys . . . I just puked in my mouth a little.

Posted by: whughes1 | July 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

What's the difference between an Iraqi militant and a Cowboys fan?

An Iraqi militant wouldn't force his kid to put on a Romo jersey, before using them as a human shield.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | July 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Makes ya wanna puke.

Posted by: affirmativeactionpresident | July 1, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"lets go ro-mo!"

"YOU'RE FROM FAIR-FAX!"

i still love tiger...but not as much.

Posted by: d_skillz | July 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I find watching the 1982 NFC Championship makes me feel better. What are the odds Orakpo replays the Manley-White collision on Romo next year? He could land on Jessica Simpson, and still get a concussion.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | July 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andymr | July 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Andy,

Do yourself a favor and get a clue before you embarrass yourself any further. There is not a reporter in this town who is more pro-DC sports, more pro-DC fans, than Steinberg and the Sports Bog.

Have you ever even read this blog before today?

Posted by: Barno1 | July 1, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"I got chills -- so close to greatness," one fan said, after a particularly nice approach shot. By a quarterback."

Jeezus H. Keerist. I get chills knowing these people are considered mentally and emotionally competent to VOTE.

Western Civ, we hardly knew ye.

Posted by: ericenderle | July 1, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

this is the least viewable bog post i've ever read. These pictures are atrocious...

washing/gouging out my eyes...

Posted by: trolly_time | July 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,

I agree there isn't a more pro-capitals, pro-capitals fan reporter in the country. It's the other teams he continuously barages with snarky back handed posts. My problem is Dan especially looks for ways to beat up the Redskins, whether its on this blog or on comcast sportsnet. I'm really just sick of him trying to trudge up the steelers game once a month for the rest of eternity...

p.s. I read this and the skins blog everyday. Don't speak of what you don't know.

Posted by: Andymr | July 2, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm the first guy referenced. I had a great time. My daughter was miserable, but that's another story. I found the skins fans to be more than hospitable. We found common ground in the fact that the course wasn't swarmed by Eagles fans. I didn't notice anyone being disruptive during Tony's backswing and I can't believe that the online community would be this vile. I suppose anonymity helps bring out your id.

Regardless of the clowns posting on this blog, I'd like to say thank you to the greater DC community for a wonderful afternoon.

Posted by: jdramirez | July 2, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse