Gibbs on Skins: "Greatest Sports Franchise in the World"

So hot on the heels of CBS Radio landing the Redskins cheerleaders at the 106.7 The Fan launch party last week and scoring the Westwood One NFL package, The Mike Wise Show debuted today with Joe Gibbs as its first guest. Another shot at the Snyder-owned rival sports talker, in preparation for a year of snarky sniping at the 500-pound dude dressed up in Native American garb?

Well, maybe so, but when Gibbs uses the football questions to praise Daniel Snyder, Vinny Cerrato, Redskins fans, Burgundy wine and the gold standard, it doesn't really come across that way. Quite the reverse, actually. So for today, your options could be, Listen to Snyder employees on 980 bash the bloody heck out of the people who pay their bills, or listen to Gibbs on 106.7 talk about how "I think [the Redskins are] the greatest sports franchise in the world."

This is all very confusing to me. I guess that's what happens when you have two sports talk stations in town. I'm preparing for a life of confusion, or at least six months or so, before one of them goes all-boy band.

Here's most of the quote in question, concerning Gibbs's decision to come out of retirement, which started with him noting how the franchise had been in some disrepair for about a decade.

"I kind of wanted to be a part of trying to redirect things and get the Redskins back to winning again," he said. "I think it's the greatest sports franchise in the world. It was a thrill for me to be a part of it....Do you take a chance when you do that? Absolutely, but then I would have missed all of those great things and those experiences over that four-year period with all the relationships that I developed with the players, the coaching staff, the front office, Dan and the fans. And I felt like it's something I wanted to do.

"I wanted, too, for myself, to see could I be successful coaching in modern day football. I'd been away from it for 11 years. Certainly you never want to be afraid of taking a chance, and I felt like hey, that was something I wanted to do....The grandkids loved it. And Jackson got mad at me, our oldest grandkid, when I stepped down. 'What are you doing coach?' I said, 'Jackson, I want to come down and be with you and coach you on 8-man football,' and he said, 'We don't need you here, we need you up there.' "

More Gibbs.

On Vinny Cerrato: "He was a very, very valuable person in that organization, and he was for me. We worked together on acquiring talent, and I think Vinny had one of the best programs in place."

On Jim Zorn: "People want immediate victories. They want to win right now, and sometimes that's not realistic, as we know. Coach Zorn won eight games the first year, that's what I did, and I think sometimes it takes a while to kind of build the right program that you want and get things going in the right direction. I think that's been a huge change in modern-day sports; everyone wants to win right now....I think he'll be so much more settled this year coming. I was."

On being the biggest Redskin fan in the world: "I'm the biggest Redskin fan in the world."

On Jason Campbell's offseason: "The quarterbacks that we've been fortunate enough to be with the years that I coached, they went through some tough times, believe me, all of them did....Theismann, at one point we benched Joe....Mark Rypien got benched mainly for turning the ball over....Doug Williams came in really as a backup, he'd been through a lot of things in Tampa, went to the USFL, got bounced around, got criticized for a lot of things....

"So my point with quarterbacks, and what I kind of tell them is this, I said, 'Look, if you can't handle pressure situations, if you can't handle all the attention you're gonna get...Particularly playing in Washington, D.C, it's a huge deal, you're gonna be put through a lot, and if you're the kind of guy that's got a temperament that those kind of things are gonna bother you, then chances are you're not the kind of quarterback that's gonna take a big-time NFL team down the field late in the game in a hailstorm to win.' It's just not gonna happen.

"At times you're gonna get booed and kicked around, but if you have the right kind of temperament, at the end you're gonna win out as a quarterback, and if not, you probably weren't made to play quarterback in the NFL."

On Michael Vick: "I think that's gonna be a tough one....He's gonna have to get in the right situation in the NFL. I think he deserves a chance to play again and I think somebody will take a run at him and I think he could be a great producer in the NFL. Obviously we've seen him do that before, but I think it's gonna take the right team right place, and I think he deserves another chance. I think that's part of life. I think he's paid a huge price for the mistakes he's made, and to me, I think he's gonna find the right place and the right team, but I think he's gonna need the right place and the right team and the right coach."

On NASCAR, Joey Lagano, his new book and religion in sports: Sorry, zippy chance I'm transcribing that stuff.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 20, 2009; 12:18 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Real World at D.C. United Game
Next: Morning Bog: DeAngelo's Magnificent Beard

Comments

"Greatest sports franchise in the world"?

Look, God bless Joe, but that's a really dumb statement. That's homerism to the highest degree.

I would suggest that there's NO standard under which the Redskins are the greatest sports franchise in the world -- or in America, or in the NFL -- except in the heart of Coach Joe.

If that's all he's got to say, don't waste air time and/or column inches and/or web site space on him.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | July 20, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

the redskins are the greatest sports franchise in the world.

Posted by: mopp04 | July 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Lavar reads the bog from what they're talking about now

Posted by: JDP_ | July 20, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

" I'm preparing for a life of confusion, or at least six months or so, before one of them goes all-boy band."

---

106.7 will be "El Zol Dos" by next May.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 20, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

By Dan Steinberg

Ahhh very good you redeemed yourself in my eyes

Posted by: CBinDC | July 20, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ahahahahahahahahaahaahah........first of all what did you expect, WJFK can't bash the skins too much because they still in a indirect fashion pay the new stations bills. There is a reason they didn't flip in May. Because they are incapable of really talking other sports in depth. In fact if anyone ever listened to the sports reporters (and no Lavar, I'm not a WTEM employee) they would hear honest and forthright criticism of Mr. Snyder and the Redskins. Also WTEM, while imperfect in it's coverage of other sports, clearly has better people who can delve into some other sports some of the time.That said, Lavar is listenable when it comes to talking football, but all football all the time dose not sell in any market. The WJFK ratings will be about the same as wTEM's, people in the DC area don't really listen to sports on AM and FM, the ratings have proven this over the years. Finally, Lavar, bad move admitting you rooted for the Pens. I'm sure looking forward to Lavar and Chad Dukes breaking down the 4th lines of the Caps and Pens when the Skins are 0-4. That will be a snooze fest for sure. While I'm here, WJFK (which I'm listening to right now) needs to stop trying to bash Mr. Snyder on one hand and then sucking up to the Skins on the other. Lavar's show at least, smells of a personal vendetta towards Mr. Snyder.
Bottom line, I will listen to Lavar's show when the sports reporters are not on the air. 980 needs to beef up it's 10Am to 4Pm slots, but that doesn't mean WJFK is that much better then 980 in those times.

Posted by: Standardman76 | July 20, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Standardman76 | July 20, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Guess what, Sheehan announced that Gibbs will be on his show tomorrow, so it looks like Danny got him after all. As for Coach Joe, he'll always have a place in my heart. But it is a smaller place post-comeback than before comeback. That has nothing to do with his performance as a coach during the comeback. It has to do with him getting in bed with a complete dirtbag like Snyder. What is the old saying about lying down with mangy dogs will give one fleas?

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Correction: the Redskins WERE the greatest sports franchise in the world...not just because they were winning, but also because the RFK experience was untouchable....

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 20, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 20, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Gunga2009, if you're going to try and bash the greatest Redskins coach of all time and one of the best of all history, I suggest you don't waste air time and/or column inches and/or web site space on it.

"homerism" as you've used it equals being proud of and a fan of your home team franchise. Try rooting for something local, go ahead, you might like it.

Posted by: trolly_time | July 20, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Did you get paid by the Junkies to use "zippy chance" on your blog. That's "silly".

Posted by: tbanderson1980 | July 20, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Trolly_time: Be a fan; love your team; we all do it. That's a LONG way from saying that my favorite team is the greatest sports franchise in the world.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | July 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Gunga why is it ? If that's how you feel about your home team, then so be it!!! It's called being a fanatic, some people are...........

Posted by: jiza32 | July 21, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse