Jessica Simpson Sings National Anthem

Here's Jessica Simpson singing the National Anthem before yesterday's ceremonial opening shot. Radar says Simpson "gave Roseanne a run for her money," but I didn't think it was that bad. Of course, Svrluga and I couldn't see a lick of this live, because everyone was standing at attention, and also because the tee box was overloaded with people trying to get a glimpse.

(Video via MyFoxDC)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 2, 2009; 9:04 AM ET
Categories:  Golf
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gary Williams on Cheaters and Cheating
Next: Morning Bog: Caps Win July 1

Comments

"[E]veryone was standing at attention." You have a sick mind, Mr. Steinberg.

Posted by: gkronenberg | July 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

We should have her compete for the Right Guard position too.

Posted by: HogsHaven | July 2, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

At least no one shouted the O.

No one can oversing a song like Jessica Simpson.

Kind of like how Tony Romo overthrows balls to Cowboys receivers in key games.

Posted by: TheFingerman | July 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Sheesh, with the Roseanne comparison I expected it to be horrible, but it wasn't all that bad. Oversung, sure. I wish people like Jessica would realize that the national anthem isn't about THEM, it's about our country. Oh well.

Posted by: nafspac | July 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I turned the audio off and was glad I did looking those expressions.

And I think Givhan would say horizontal stripes are a no-no for her.

Posted by: capsfan77 | July 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow, she makes some dumb faces while singing.

Posted by: RyanKelly | July 2, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I was there and I didn't think is was that bad. I couldn't see her facial expressions though because I was way too far away.

What I thought was hilarious though was the fact that her father Joe Simpson--a notorious stage dad--played in the pro-am. And I bet he was pissed that he was the pro in his group was Streelman and he teed off in the late afternoon. He was probably saying, "I'm on TMZ every other week for god sake!"

Posted by: MaxWass | July 2, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

You guys are actually commenting on her SINGING? Three words, Lovely-Lady-Lumps. Now I know why Tony has that goofy look on his face all the time. Fumble the snap? Throw an INT? Aw shucks, so what, look what I come home to!

Posted by: NuttworldOrder1 | July 2, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

God, what a country! I did not realize that Hooters had take over sponsorship. But, Borat would agree: Very nice!

That's what we're fighting for, boys!

Posted by: llllllllllll1163887541111dd | July 2, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Why was Kirstie Allie singing at this? She has really put on the weight, so wearing horizontal stripes wasn't a good idea. I played the video and Kirstie's not much of a singer, but she was funny on Cheers when she was thinner.

Posted by: uncle_arthur | July 2, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

She sang that like somebody who greatly overestimates their own ability. She looked worse in video than she did in the pictures. Why did that dress have an open back?

Posted by: sitruc | July 4, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse