Leonsis Responds to Obama's Ovie Talk

President Obama's praise of Alex Ovechkin managed to become an actual news story today, with mentions on Politico, The Hill, NHL.com, MSNBC, Le Monde, and pretty much every other news source that covers the world.

Ted Leonsis was traveling today, but I e-mailed him a rough transcript of what went down, and asked if he had any thoughts.

"I offer to personally come to the White House, pick up our President, brief him on the way, take him to a game, sit in the stands with him, have a beer and a hot dog, and have some fun at a game," Leonsis wrote back. "Then he can meet Alex Ovechkin, and his popularity scores will be even higher for his next trip to Russia. But alas, that will have to wait till October. In the meantime, since he loves basketball, we also invite the Obama family to a Washington Mystics game."

Now that is well-played.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 7, 2009; 5:29 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Mystics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rizzo: "We Are Not Trading Adam Dunn"
Next: How the Nats Lost Last Night

Comments

Newsflash: When Obama poops there needs to be 19 media members to smell it. It's no surprise that this became 'news'

Posted by: truthaboutit | July 7, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't want our Wonderful and Gracious Dear Leader at a Caps game.

Besides, truth of the matter is that our Wonderful and Gracious Dear Leader couldn't pick A.O. out of a police lineup.

Besides, our Wonderful and Gracious Dear Leader is way too busy turning over the Federal Treasury to the various Democratic "interest" groups and coddling various Left Wing Dictators to come watch a hockey game.

Posted by: CapsNut | July 7, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

All politics and my opinion of President Obama aside (and for the record, I think the guy is Jimmy Carter 2.0, evidently the country didn't learn the first time), I can see why Ted would want him to comes to a Caps game, and why he should ... and why I'd never want him to.

Why wouldn't I want him to? Mostly because I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making puck drop with the security lines. I come to the Verizon Center from north of Baltimore, and it's all I can do to get home from work, feed my cats, ditch the monkey suit for a jersey and jeans, and zoom for DC and still make puck drop, if I don't want to eat arena food for dinner (and usually I don't). The security lines would kill that, and I have enough of being searched at work, I'm not enamored of it again at VC.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 7, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually, come to think of it? I know one thing Ted could do for us as Caps fans that Pollin might just go for, and that I would deeply, deeply appreciate. Provide a lighter food option for concessions. Even if it's something as simple as pita and hummus instead of nachos.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 7, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Very well played; gotta love Teddy L.

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 8, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

do you think it's possible to keep everyone's political views out of the caps blog? it's tiring. go complain in the politics chats. like him or not, the president of the united states mentioned the name of a member of the WASHINGTON CAPITALS in a speach. as fans, we should be very pleased that our team and our players are at least getting some recognition outside hockey circles.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 8, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

First of all, Obama looks foolish mentioning Ovechkin given that he doesn't know a hockey puck from a filet mignon. It was such an obvious political ploy that it makes Obama look foolish and Ovechkin look used. Second, I like Leonsis as an owner, but his celebrity butt kissing is out of control. The Caps are a very good team. They don't NEED Obama to come to a game. He'll just be disruptive and annoying. Win a damn Cup and the Caps will get plenty of publicity.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow, shocking. Ted Leonsis wants Obama at a Caps game. I mean, I never saw this coming! (end sarcasm)

Other people at the top of their field he wanted associated with his sports franchises: Jaromir Jagr and Michael Jordan. And when fans verbally disagree with him he has grabbed them by the throat and attacked them, resulting in a fine and suspension by the NHL.

Now there is a classy owner!

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"we should be very pleased that our team and our players are at least getting some recognition outside hockey circles."

But it is clear that our Wonderful and Gracious Dear Leader does not, as one other poster put so eloquently, "know a hockey puck from a filet mignon."

We've attacked anybody who dares to talk about hockey without knowing the sport, why should our Wonderful and Gracious Dear Leader be any different?

Posted by: CapsNut | July 9, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse