Morning Bog: A Near Nats Fireworks Fail
Had the Nats gone on to lose yesterday afternoon, the Fireworks Fail would have been so agonizingly perfect that the rest of the Fail Campaign would have to have been called off, because you can't mess with perfection like that. It's like talking during a perfect game. A premature fireworkulation, followed by a walk to Chipper Jones, followed by a game-winning home run; that's the stuff of legend. They'd have talked about that for as long as this franchise exists.
But they won, and so it goes from Historical Fail to humorous side-note on the path to a two-game winning streak, complete with humorous quotes from both teams.
"I turned around to [manager] Manny [Acta], I said 'You got one more pitch, bro,' " Jones said.
"We've got to win a little more," catcher Josh Bard said, "for [the fireworks operators] to get some practice."
(Image via Nationals Enquirer)
Some more links, courtesy of Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio
* Skins fans ask Tiger to put Clinton Portis in his four-some next time he comes to D.C. Tiger's response: "Sounds good." (Hogs Haven)
* Video of Tiger interviewing himself after winning at Congressional. He was more chatty to himself than he was to the Skins fans. (YouTube)
* The Caps, Wiz and Nats are all "looking at having conversations with WJFK about what they may have to offer the local pro teams," according to Jim Williams. "It is very likely that WJFK will be able to score one of the three teams to anchor their play-by-play programming." (Examiner)
* The Caps get a B+ for their performance in the free-agent frenzy. Positives: Signing Mike Knuble. Negatives: Michael Nylander's still there. (Puck Daddy)
* Adam Dunn is one of the ultimate all-star game snubs. Meanwhile, Cristian Guzman, who is now the Nats' No. 6 hitter, is up for the final roster spot? (FanHouse)
* A Q and A with a Nats ballgirl. She's asking the Q's. (Beltway Blonde's Blog)
* Analyzing the Wiz summer league roster. (Ridiculous Upside)
* Personal biography demands that I note the following: tourists on the Mall this weekend were able to pose for photos with an Abraham Lincoln statue carved out of a 1,000-pound block of Cheddar cheese. (We Love DC, Green Bay Press Gazette)
* My first college editor takes over Jeff Pearlman's blog. (JeffPearlman.com)
* Three members of the Washington Kastles were involved in Wimbledon finals this weekend. The two without their own clothing line--Leander Paes and Rennae Stubbs--lost their finals. Paes and his partner were upset in the mixed doubles final while Stubbs fell to her Kastles teammate Serena in the women's doubles final. The two still have a combined 15 grand slam doubles
titles--and one Olympic bronze medal. (Wimbledon XD, Wimbledon WD)
* Speaking of the Kastles, I can't remember if I noted this, but they traded for Olga Puchkova, who once told the Charlottesville paper that she had been engaged to Alex Ovechkin. (Puck Daddy)
Best D.C. Sports Tweets From the Weekend
Jim Bowden: Congrats to Ryan Zimmerman, "Hey now, you're an All Star..put your game on!!!!!" Drafted, signed and developed by Nats!!! 1st of many trips.
Jim Bowden: When Milledge finally moves to Left Field where he belongs, he and McCutcheon will give Pirates fans alot of fun at the top o lineup.
Jim Bowden: Giants working on deals for Nick Johnson, Aubrey Huff or Adam LaRoche....with that rotation.....they have a great shot for the wildcard!
Jim Bowden: Moonshadows in Malibu Beach by the tiki Bar is still one of my favorite West Coast spots to watch Sunday Night Baseball w Jon, Joe and Steve
Jim Bowden: Josh Hamilton starting over Torri Hunter? Puhlease! We need to change the process..congrats to my son Chase who met President Obama today!
Barry Svrluga: Tiger on DC: "The only thing I haven't done here is go to a Skins game yet."
July 5, 2009; 7:35 AM ET
Categories: Caps , Golf , Media , Nats , Redskins , Tennis , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Gary Williams Explains His Fist Pump
Next: Keane Are Nats Fans
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | July 6, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rachel216 | July 6, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: poguesmahone | July 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ihatewalks | July 6, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.