Morning Bog: Earl Weaver's Philosophy and Dmitri's Belly

(AP file photo)

Some morning links, with help from Max Wasserman.

* Sports Illustrated included Earl Weaver in its latest Where Are They Now issue. That means a new interview, in which Weaver apparently says he's never heard of Moneyball and describes his baseball philosophy like this: "Team speed?" he says. "Get some big (bleep) who can hit the (bleepin) ball out of the park!" (MASN Sports)

* And speaking of big, here is a massive gallery of current Dmitri Young photos. At worst, he's got to be fourth on the Redskins' depth chart at right tackle. (Nats 320)

* Joe Theismann says Jason Campbell looks "much more confident, much more comfortable." (Pro Football Talk via Krem's Sports Blog)

* JaVale McGee is uploading his music onto the Internet. (Truth About It)

* Speaking of the Wiz and hip hop, local artist Pro'Verb--who recorded that track defending DeShawn Stevenson against Jay-Z--is one of the opening acts at Rock the Bells this weekend. (Lyriciss-DMV)

* Terps basketball recruit Terrell Stoglin is no JaVale McGee. (Testudo Times)

* Nearly every college football preview sees the Terps as last in the ACC Atlantic. Ralph Friedgen has them right where he wants them. (Testudo Times)

* A-11 Look-ahead: Old Dominion's 2009-10 men's basketball schedule makes it seem like the Monarchs want to join the Atlantic 10. They play Richmond and Dayton on the road and Charlotte and Duquesne at home. (Old Dominion Athletics)

* A full analysis of the Capitals draft. Second round pick Dmitri Orlov was a steal. (Hockey's Future)

* Joel Hanrahan: "I had certainly reached a point where I needed a change in Washington." (Pirates Report)

* Please don't look at this at work, but The Onion tackles the Nats. It involves lots of profanity. (The Onion)

* DC is America's 38th best sports town. Baltimore ranks 61st. This list is weird. (Men's Health)

* Jordan Crawford talks about the LeBron dunk. (The Dagger)

* So do D.C. area hoopsters. Here's yesterday's Twitter dialogue between DaJuan Summers and Malcolm Delaney, who actually saw the dunk in person.

Summers: "yo was that dunk that bad?? because they are talking about it on espn?"

Delaney: its was bad but i think its a bigger deal because they confiscated the tapes

Summers: "Yea basically LOL its funny tho."

* The Kastles get their first win, with help from Serena Williams. (Wicked Local Topsfield)

* Here's Coach Murphy Jensen's reaction on Twitter: "kastles win!!!!!!!! serena is a Goddess!!!!!!!!!! come on!!!!!! tennis is cool!"

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 10, 2009; 8:13 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Orioles , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rob Dibble on the Nats: "It's Pathetic"
Next: Nationals Concert Fail

Comments

Carrying forward:

I knew you'd come through on this one as soon as I heard it. But no pics? On second thought, never mind. Good thing he had the g-string clause in there.

Also, I'm not sure that I've ever heard such a pregnant pause on Carpenter's part.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 8:04 AM |
Okay, here you go (you'll have to scroll down a bit). Don't say I never did anything for you. Sigh. The things I do for this team:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 8:17 AM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I know my drawers certainly reached the point where they needed a change every time Joel Hanrahan took the mound in Washington.

Posted by: section417 | July 10, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

-does this idea stem from the sausage cannonz?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I guess hockey doesn't count when it comes to sports, but NASCAR does?

(And how does Anchorage rank so high on attending sporting events? And are there really that many nascar fans in San Jose?)

Posted by: RedBirdie | July 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

hey steinberg - since mere mention of dmitri is more than our nasty nats beat writer/s seem capable of doing, i'd love to read more about how the nats 4th highest paid player this year (after dunn, zimm and, gulp, kearns) is busying himself this summer. after all, we sure know what he's NOT doing!

Posted by: DCPowerGator | July 10, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"DC is America's 38th best sports town. Baltimore ranks 61st. This list is weird."

Baltimore has 2 sports to DC's 4, 5 if you count Soccer

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 10, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I made a comment about those lists earlier. It needed approval. I'm guessing because I mentioned that DC was also the #3 city in need of vi@gr@. I was just saying that the lists are horrible and they don't explain the rationale because there is none.

Posted by: sitruc | July 10, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mja712 | July 11, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

That Men's Health list is a joke. NASCAR is an event. It's not a sport. Hockey isn't even listed. I've never read Men's Health before and now I know why.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 12, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 13, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse