Morning Bog: Flip on LeBron

I'm on a plane heading to Las Vegas for a few days of Wizards Summer League excitement. What I'll do there, aside from throwing away most of my life savings while betting on WNBA games, I'm not exactly sure. In the meantime, a few quotes, Wiz and otherwise.

Flip Saunders, on facing the Cavs today: "Is LeBron playing? We might have a guy who could dunk on him, I don't know."

Jeff Pearlman, blogging: "According to a baseball source, the ballplayer [who tried to pick up a media intern in Houston] was a member of the Washington Nationals. Furthermore, because of the incident, the Nationals are now considering a permanent, all-encompassing ban of interns from the team's clubhouse."

Flip Saunders, on finding minutes for everybody: "I don't manage minutes. They do. Whoever can play, plays. If you can't play, you don't play. And the bottom line is the players have to understand that the idea of a team is understanding that."

Some pop star lackey from the Jonas Bros./Jordin Sparks show, to a Verizon Center security guy: "Don't touch me. Please. Do not. Touch me."

Rob Dibble, on Twitter: Sorry that I can't watch the HR Derby this year I will be at The Playboy Mansion getting ready for the second half....There's Pandas at The DC Zoo, we only have them for a short time, a rental. Let's keep them and send the people from AiG to China instead

Jessie Sapp, via Twitter: [Some dudes] shot the park up right before I was about to play...it looked like a old skool western out there....WOW

Ken Rosenthal, on the firing: "At worst, my initial story was premature, though I still believe it was accurate. Regardless, the Nats should have reacted differently, out of fairness to a man who represented their organization with class and decency. Once my story broke, the Nats had two reasonable choices: Fire Acta immediately. Or commit to him for the rest of the season, knowing the identity of the manager would not make one difference in their horrid team."

Rocky McIntosh, via Twitter: Miami I love yabut next yr for the break I'm going international go running with the bulls, wear a speedo in Spain w/big sunglasses on Feeding frenzy with sharks, go find the tooth fairy has anybody found her yet finally get a fake prosthetic arm and let one of those big,muddy, water catfish lock on I can pull it out without it ripping my arm off lol

Nick Young, on his '09 hair style of choice: I'm going to settle on one. I don't know, I might get the Tweeter to let everybody know like Shaq. I don't know yet."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 14, 2009; 7:01 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hello, and Goodbye, to James Lang
Next: Afternoon Bog: Riggleman's HS Pic, and The Fan

Comments

Was last night the first time a vegetarian won the home run derby?

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 14, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

In the end Vegetarians always lose. Lose their hair, lose the pleasure of delicious Chipotle steak burrito bowls and lose their desire to use deoderant.

Posted by: fushezzi | July 14, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

ken rosenthal sounds like a tool. correction ken, at worst, your story was totally wrong. way to go out on a limb to suggest that the team w/ the worst record in baseball is thinking about firing their manager. and then they should just do it because you wrote they were thinking about it?
right or wrong, the worst thing this team could do is make personnel decisions based upon what ken rosenthal writes about. guy's just trying to cover himself. he'd have been better off just tweeting "nanny nanny boo boo i told you so...".

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 14, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan, you really captured a lot of my feelings as well. Rosenthal is trying to regain credibility after the Nats didn't fire Manny when he said that they would and he seems to be doing it going after the very people that he wronged. Even if the Nats were about to fire Manny, what right does he have to be breaking the news to Manny? That's exactly what he would have done by printing the firing before management told Manny. That's kind of scumbag-ish. Does he really need to be the one to break the news? If so, hold it until right after they told the guy. Geez. He's certainly lost my respect (not sure if I had any before for him).

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The sports page was a disaster today. Most people I know don't care a bit about the Nationals, their stingy owners or crappy players. Keep us updated on the skins and wizards and much more on dc united and the tour de france. If I encounter another baseball focused sports page again I'll have to reconsider my subscription.

Posted by: ananda001 | July 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Prince Fielder is actually a vegan

Posted by: 1dixon | July 14, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ohhh great. First Prince Fielder doesn't eat meat and now he doesn't believe in God. Who cheers for this guy?!

Posted by: fushezzi | July 14, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I think I hate Rob Dibble now.

Posted by: sitruc | July 14, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Pai Gow Steinberg, lots and lots of Pai Gow. Do it...

Posted by: ChinatownExpress | July 14, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

It's all about you, Ken Rosenthal. What a f*cking knob

Posted by: Kev29 | July 14, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think I also hate Rob Dibble now!

Posted by: ghdirect | July 14, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse