Morning Bog: Malcolm Delaney Saw LeBron Get Dunked On

Here's a local connection to the neverendingly pleasing story of LeBron getting dunked on: Baltimore's own Malcolm Delaney, from Virginia Tech, was at the camp and was a witness. Here's from his Twitter feed:

YES LEBRON GOT DUNKED ON... FACE @ FACE WIT @ HANDS N IT WAS NASTY.. I had front row seats cuz I was playin.. Lmao..

You can say that again. More links, courtesy Max Wasserman.

* Ryan Miller, the famous cameraman whose tapes of Jordan Crawford climbing LeBron were confiscated by Nike, does an interview. "[The dunk] was good," he said. "I haven't looked online to read too much about it. It was as good as it could've been hyped up to be." (Deadspin)

* Nike PR says they didn't take away the tapes because of the dunk--and all those kids in sweatshops actually get three weeks paid vacation and dental. Also, this never would have happened with MJ. (The Dagger)

* YES! BRING! POPS! BACK! (Max is a GW fan - ed.) (Bullets Forever)

* Doug Williams on Steve McNair and the fraternity of black quarterbacks. (Gary Shelton)

* Do the Nationals even want to trade anyone? I mean, why would they? Things are going so well. And they'd have to take all new team pictures and getting the portrait photographer on short notice is such a hassle. (Federal Baseball)

* Re-starting the Manny Acta watch. (NBC Washington)

* Reliever B.J. Ryan, who played for the Orioles back when Washingtonians still rooted for them, has been released by the Blue Jays after walking 17 in 20.1 innings this year. (Big League Stew)

* Nominating Fred Smoot for the Next Food Network Star. The Food Network should take him, because his presence could bring in about 1.3 million viewers--or nearly half the people that watch Top Chef. (Redskins Blog)

* Chris Cooley goes to the rodeo and roots for the bulls. That's how much he hates cowboys. (Cooley Zone)

* In his first cap for the U.S. Men's National Team in three years, DCU's Santino Quaranta scores the game-winning goal against Honduras at RFK. It's a feel-good story. (Behind the Badge)

* A Wash Times columnist says that the Nats' Baseball 101 event "ranks right down there with the deals that brought Lastings Milledge and Elijah Dukes here. Or even worse, with the one that landed Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez." Actually, it's a perfectly fine idea, and has been a huge success with the Caps. (Dick Heller)

* Dmitri Young says he still has a lot of ball left to play. (Wash Times)

* Despite a guarantee of victory from their coach, the Kastles lose again to fall to 0-4. Welcome to D.C. (We Love DC)

* And Anna Kournikova reveals that she's not Jewish. (Green & Glover)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 9, 2009; 10:49 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Tennis , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Preliminary WJFK Sports Talk Lineup
Next: The Pistons, a GW Castoff, and a 1-27 Season

Comments

That Heller piece is a waste of space. At first, I was upset that 1/3 of the article was obscured by a pop up ad without an exit X, but after I read the 2/3 that I could see, I thanked the pop up ad.

Posted by: mike8 | July 9, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Agree re. the Heller piece, and the annoying ad (Adblock Plus has betrayed me).

As I noted over on NJ, had Mr. Heller done a bit of legwork, he'd have discovered that a number of teams have hosted the Baseball 101 programs, and that they have done so for at least two years. Not sure why it's any more worthy of contempt than fantasy camps for middle-aged fanboys, or youth camp events. Oh yeah, because it's for women. I've never attended a Baseball 101 event (and I'd probably skip the manicures portion of the evening), but I do know a number of knowledgeable fans who have attended.

For Mr. Heller's future reference, *this* is a good Baseball 101 piece:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I went to 101 last year and it wasn't the first one they hosted.

I don't mind the team targeting women, but targeting them to "teach" them about baseball is pretty condescending, especially since everyone there seemed incredibly knowledgable about the sport (lotta season ticket holders).

My main reason for going was to just interact with coaches and see some behind-the-scene stuff.

"Baseball 101" is an awful way to market the event. And making it all pink and fingernail polishy-y is just stupid. It should give women a little more credit and call it something like "Behind the Scenes at Nationals Park."

Posted by: NatsNut | July 9, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

When I first read the first bullet point. I thought it said

"...the famous cameraman whose tapes of Joan Crawford climbing LeBron were confiscated..."

Posted by: alex35332 | July 9, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

and yet still, danny boy, cavs > wiz. forever. enjoy.

Posted by: popopo | July 9, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations on that NBA Championship, popopo. No? Eastern Conference? Well congratulations on winning some games. At least they consistently beat the lowly Wizards, right?

Posted by: sitruc | July 9, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I remember that Gilbert dunked on LeBron in the 2006 playoffs, and he never dunks on anybody. To me, it's inexplicable that LeBron was chosen first team all-NBA defense. He gets some steals and spectacular blind-side blocks, but he's not really that good of an on-ball defender.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | July 12, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse