Morning Bog: Real World at D.C. United Game
So Saturday's D.C. United game was invaded by Real World D.C. And all the Barra Brava members I love most dearly started fighting online about whether or not it was appropriate to cooperate with MTV. Point: "tonight it hurt seeing Barra people hanging out trying to get face time with MTV, playign kiss up, trying to cater to real world, INSTEAD of actually watching and supporting the club out on the pitch!" Counterpoint: "They walked around with some cameras, introduced themselves and talked to people and some people who are in the Barra apparently talked to them and were friendly - is that SERIOUSLY that big of a deal?"
But here's the bottom line, aptly delivered by West_Ham_Barra42: "I mean how many barra members are consistently shown on ESPN, ESPN2, FSN, etc... with their shirts off and drunk? Now that is media exposure worthy of the Real World." (And I also liked this tweet: "real world dc crew just rolled by me at dcunited match. reading chants off a sheet. I booed them." Meanwhile, the crew members made a fan delete a photo involving the Freedom's mascot, Glory. So, Nats game next? (Big Soccer, Reliable Source)
* Also, 106.7 The Fan debuted this morning. I tuned in for the start of The Mike Wise Show.
"Welcome," Mike Wise said, as U2 played in the background. "Welcome. Greater Washington, held hostage. Day one. Bill Rohland, welcome to my show."
Yup, that's pretty much how I would have guessed The Mike Wise Show would have started on 106.7 The Fan, and I would have been right. Wise went on to thank Steve Czaban, Andy Pollin, Doc Walker, John Thompson, Don & Mike, Big O & Dukes, and various WJFK execs. Missing: The Washington Post. Oh well. First sports topic?
"For some reason, no one wants to say Tom Watson flat-out choked. Why not?"
First guest: Joe Gibbs. Not bad. Some more morning links, with help from Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio.
* In case you missed it, John McEnroe's World Team Tennis coach was fined and suspended after the in-game confrontation with the Kastles last week. (AP)
* The Nats' local TV ratings are up 20 percent, the fifth-biggest increase, by percentage, in the bigs. They're still, um, bad. The ratings, I mean. (Nielsen blog)
* As are the Nats. (NBC Washington)
* You want to know why the Nats got swept by the Cubs? This ticket from yesterday's game might help.
* Julian Tavarez got dumped by a 600-pound J Lo. (Nationals Enquirer)
* Some of the Redskins extra super fans behind Extreme Skins are back, with a new site. (BGObsession)
* People have been wondering since last week why in the world the Chicago Blackhawks would fire GM Dale Tallon, who took them from doormat to contender in four years. Apparently, the rumor is that Tallon was fired for nearly completing a deal with the Caps: Nikolai Khabibulin for Michael Nylander. Yeah, that wouldn't have been good for the Hawks. (Japers' Rink)
* The name of the Terrapins newest football recruit is--and this is completely true--Tyrek Cheeseboro. (Testudo Times)
* Jay Mariotti on Beckham: "As Hollywood celebrities go, he's a B-list afterthought who doesn't even interest the local paparazzi anymore. As L.A. sports personalities go, he's a gnat in Kobe Bryant's air space and a piece of fuzz in Manny Ramirez's dreadlocks." (FanHouse)
July 20, 2009; 10:48 AM ET
Categories: Caps , Nats , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Nats Fan Ribbing Lerners?
Next: Gibbs on Skins: "Greatest Sports Franchise in the World"
Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: ZachMorris | July 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: thurdl01 | July 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 20, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thurdl01 | July 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JDP_ | July 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: VTDuffman | July 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: MNMNT | July 20, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bowiemd1 | July 20, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.