Morning Bog: Real World at D.C. United Game

So Saturday's D.C. United game was invaded by Real World D.C. And all the Barra Brava members I love most dearly started fighting online about whether or not it was appropriate to cooperate with MTV. Point: "tonight it hurt seeing Barra people hanging out trying to get face time with MTV, playign kiss up, trying to cater to real world, INSTEAD of actually watching and supporting the club out on the pitch!" Counterpoint: "They walked around with some cameras, introduced themselves and talked to people and some people who are in the Barra apparently talked to them and were friendly - is that SERIOUSLY that big of a deal?"

But here's the bottom line, aptly delivered by West_Ham_Barra42: "I mean how many barra members are consistently shown on ESPN, ESPN2, FSN, etc... with their shirts off and drunk? Now that is media exposure worthy of the Real World." (And I also liked this tweet: "real world dc crew just rolled by me at dcunited match. reading chants off a sheet. I booed them." Meanwhile, the crew members made a fan delete a photo involving the Freedom's mascot, Glory. So, Nats game next? (Big Soccer, Reliable Source)

* Also, 106.7 The Fan debuted this morning. I tuned in for the start of The Mike Wise Show.

"Welcome," Mike Wise said, as U2 played in the background. "Welcome. Greater Washington, held hostage. Day one. Bill Rohland, welcome to my show."

Yup, that's pretty much how I would have guessed The Mike Wise Show would have started on 106.7 The Fan, and I would have been right. Wise went on to thank Steve Czaban, Andy Pollin, Doc Walker, John Thompson, Don & Mike, Big O & Dukes, and various WJFK execs. Missing: The Washington Post. Oh well. First sports topic?

"For some reason, no one wants to say Tom Watson flat-out choked. Why not?"

First guest: Joe Gibbs. Not bad. Some more morning links, with help from Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio.

* In case you missed it, John McEnroe's World Team Tennis coach was fined and suspended after the in-game confrontation with the Kastles last week. (AP)

* The Nats' local TV ratings are up 20 percent, the fifth-biggest increase, by percentage, in the bigs. They're still, um, bad. The ratings, I mean. (Nielsen blog)

* As are the Nats. (NBC Washington)

* You want to know why the Nats got swept by the Cubs? This ticket from yesterday's game might help.

* Julian Tavarez got dumped by a 600-pound J Lo. (Nationals Enquirer)

* Some of the Redskins extra super fans behind Extreme Skins are back, with a new site. (BGObsession)

* People have been wondering since last week why in the world the Chicago Blackhawks would fire GM Dale Tallon, who took them from doormat to contender in four years. Apparently, the rumor is that Tallon was fired for nearly completing a deal with the Caps: Nikolai Khabibulin for Michael Nylander. Yeah, that wouldn't have been good for the Hawks. (Japers' Rink)

* The name of the Terrapins newest football recruit is--and this is completely true--Tyrek Cheeseboro. (Testudo Times)

* The Madden NFL '10 Ratings for all the Redskins players. It's good to see that EA is aboard the Mike Sellers bandwagon. (ESPN via Hogs Haven)

* Jay Mariotti on Beckham: "As Hollywood celebrities go, he's a B-list afterthought who doesn't even interest the local paparazzi anymore. As L.A. sports personalities go, he's a gnat in Kobe Bryant's air space and a piece of fuzz in Manny Ramirez's dreadlocks." (FanHouse)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 20, 2009; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Terps , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Fan Ribbing Lerners?
Next: Gibbs on Skins: "Greatest Sports Franchise in the World"

Comments

That ticket kinda looks like its a "Fail"

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I attribute the Nats increase in TV ratings entirely to Rob Dibble. What else is making the broadcasts more attractive this year?

If I lived in San Francisco I would watch every time Tim Lincecum pitched too.

Posted by: ZachMorris | July 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Can a ticket that was probably printed and sold before the season actually began be a "fail"? I suppose so, if you are grasping at straws.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 20, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

To be fair to a club that doesn't necessarily deserve it, pictured is a season ticket, meaning it was printed months ago when Milledge was seen as a major cog in the franchise going forward. I don't think it quite counts as a fail.

Posted by: thurdl01 | July 20, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Becky nearly got in a fight with a fan at halftime last night.

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

And for the record, I never used the word fail. Obviously the ticket was printed in advance. I mean, that's completely obvious to everyone who's not on hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Still, it was a miserable day for the franchise on the field, and the (pre-printed) ticket featured a guy who's one of the symbols of this season of misery. When that happens for a Washington DC sports franchise, I will post a photo of the ticket 100 times out of 100. If you really hate that, you should stop reading this blog.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 20, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, it's a pleasure doing business with you.

If you really hate that, you should stop reading this blog.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 20, 2009 12:11 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

You didn't use the word, but alex35332 did, and it was to him (her?) that I was responding. I've actually been enjoying the fails even while trying to like this team. Been a big fan ever since following Torino Olympic Curling with ya. Keep up the good work, even if it is to occasionally blacken the eye of my favorite team.

Posted by: thurdl01 | July 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise's show got old really quickly. I'm hoping Lavar is entertaining but just hoping the show fails and they bring back Big O and Dukes

Posted by: JDP_ | July 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Day one of my 106.7 Boycott...

I like Wise and his columns. I am not suprised to hear his show stinks, however.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, it's a pleasure doing business with you.

Posted by: natsfan1a1

boooooooooooohooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhwaah wwaaaaaaaaaah

wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Posted by: MNMNT | July 20, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The Wise show was a little clumsy - but I'll give him a break since it's new. The new station would be best served with Junkies - Kornheiser 10-noon - Wise 12-2 - Kornheiser re-air - LaVar 4-6.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

So the Nats ratings went from a 0.5 to a 0.6? Let's celebrate!

Posted by: bowiemd1 | July 20, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse