Morning Bog: Rise of the McGee
Some morning links, courtesy Max Wasserman and Jake DiGregorio. Also, I'm chatting at 11. Submit questions here.
* JaVale McGee is apparently a big fan of Transformers, and he has this fairly remarkable "Rise of the McGee" video to show for it. If this video isn't the one that opens Wizards games this coming season, something's wrong with the world. (Via Truth About It)
* Like Alex Ovechkin before him, Chris Cooley taped an E:60 segment with Rachel Nichols. She tracked down Cooley in Wyoming, where they pretended to fish and Rachel "casted like a seven year old girl with an arm full of barbies." (The Cooley Zone)
* Ex-USA Today'er Larry Weisman explains what his new job with the Redskins will entail, including "the club's -- literally -- insistence that they want me to be objective, not to be a cheerleader or a fan, but to be objective about the things that I cover." (The Redskins Blog)
* Chase Daniel is an avid tweeter, wonders why Five Guys gives you so many fries. (The Redskins Blog)
* H.B. Blades, London Fletcher, Santana Moss, Brian Orakpo, Mike Sellers, and a whole lot of other famous people are doing a card show in Chantilly. (CSA)
* Obama includes Ovechkin on his list of great Russians, telling a Moscow audience that "as a resident of Washington, D.C., I continue to benefit from the contributions of Russians -- specifically, from Alexander Ovechkin." (Washington Times)
* Ovechkin has been named an ambassador for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. This means that the next time sports bloggers interview #8, they will ask about Sochi's best cheeses. (Russia Today, via On Frozen Blog)
* New Cap Mike Knuble says he's a guy that can go "out in front of the net and score goals, get goals off my skate, my stick, my rear end, whatever." (Grand Rapids Press)
* Tonight, D.C. United takes on the Harrisburg City Islanders in a U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal at the Maryland SoccerPlex. In interviews about the game with Devon McTavish and Tom Soehn, the words "hard fought" were mentioned at least six times. No confirmation on whether the interviewer was Joe Gibbs. (Behind The Badge)
* Someone wrote something snarky about Keith Olbermann at The Sporting Blog, and he responded in kind, noting that "I hadn't heard previously of Dan Steinberg." Ouch. (The Sporting Blog, The Baseball Nerd)
* The Bowie Baysox add yet another must-attend bobblehead promotion: It's Scott Van Pelt night, July 26! "This represents the high water mark of life; not of my career, of my life," he said, in the press release. (Cheap Seats Daily, photo here)
* Lastings Milledge: ""The Pirates know I have a really high ceiling, but all of that is really irrelevant unless you put the work in." (Post-Gazette)
Best D.C. Sports Tweets of the Past 24 Hours
Freddy Adu: ahhhh washington dc. Home sweet home. pumped for this game now that i got the first one out of the way. Whole fam will be there. cant wait
Jim Bowden: Might as well move to Staples/Nokia ctr....Michael's Memorial/ESPN VIP Party/Dan Band/Beyonce Concert all this week...+Dodgers game :)
July 7, 2009; 7:25 AM ET
Categories: Caps , D.C. United , Media , Nats , Redskins , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Signature Calls: Buckhantz Talks "Dagger!"
Next: Obama Calls Ovechkin "Outstanding"
Posted by: alex35332 | July 7, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Moco1 | July 7, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.