Morning Bog: Vick-to-Skins Rumors Started
Well, it was definitely less than 12 hours from Michael Vick's reinstatement before the Vick-to-Ashburn rumors got ramped up to dangerous levels late last night. Hey, at least it'd be a short drive from Norfolk for the PETA folks. Let's recap:
1) Tanner Cooley tweets the following: "Wondering why Michael Vick is in Lansdowne and even more, why was he at Buffalo Wing Factory in Ashburn earlier today??"
2) Pro Football Talk posts a Vick to Skins? item, with this as the money graf: "We're beginning to pick up some subtle indications from a couple of sources with connections to the team that the Redskins should not be ruled out as potential suitors for Mr. Vick." Ok, so that's a weak chicken broth of a money graf, but it's better than "Not Interested!"
3) 106.7 The Fan's new Skins beat reporter, Chris Russell, chimes in on Twitter with this: "Good Show on Vick to Skins tonight. It is real. It will happen in next few days says me. Rep. spotted in Ashburn tonight. Skins won't resist!"
4) WUSA posts Skins-on-Vick stuff from the Park, "I would welcome him," veteran locker room leader Renaldo Winn says.
5) Rich Tandler attempts to calm the furor on Real Redskins, writing that "I suppose there is a chance that Vick will wind up in Washington, but there's also a chance that a meteorite will land in the reflecting pool today, too."
Only two more days of boring summer blogging left, Redskins officials! Keep 'em interesting! I don't want to read those "Redskins won't pursue Vick, an NFL source says" stories until Thursday afternoon at the earliest! More morning links, with help from Max Wasserman:
* Seeing a two-grand-slam game, like the one Josh Willingham delivered last night, is rarer than seeing a perfect game. And two of the previous double-slammers included Orioles Jim Gentile and Chris Hoiles. (Big League Stew, Federal Baseball)
* Rob Dibble celebrated by shouting out "SMACKUM YACKUM!" while the Brewers announcers kept it pretty chill. (A reader in London said they sounded "if they were clergymen at a funeral home - their excitement level was certainly nowhere near befitting an OMG-this-has-only-happened-13-times-in-history accomplishment." (@Kevin_Reiss, MLB.com)
* Two days before that bit of history, Roto Arcade's Brad Evans wrote about how the Hammer is unfairly overlooked by fantasy owners this year, as he is only owned in 32 percent of leagues despite his good numbers. Of course, Willington's fantasy owners are beaming this morning. (Roto Arcade)
* In Jim Riggleman's first nine games, the Nats scored 23 runs. In his next three, they scored 30.
* Looking back at--and forgetting about--the 2005 NHL entry draft. Hell, I (Max) never even heard of Sasha Pokulok and I was at Cornell at the time. (Peerless Prognosticator)
* In ESPN's NFL Power Rankings, the Redskins have dropped one spot since May--from 19 to 20. Therefore, Power Rankings are completely worthless wastes of time. Q.E.D. (ESPN)
* With Jon Jansen departed, Casey Rabach and friends need a new RV to park in the lot at Redskins Park. They're offering autographs and tickets. (The Skins Blog)
* The Cooleys mock Jason Witten and Tony Romo. (Cooley Zone)
* More on this later, but some wrestler named The Miz went into Verizon Center last night and--with four Skins sitting in the second row--insulted the Redskins, Wizards and Obama. And apparently, he got the biggest feedback when he insulted the Redskins. That pretty much sums up the night. (Bleacher Report)
* Etan Thomas got traded again. He'll now be bustin' rhymes in his home state of Oklahoma. (The Oklahoman)
* A SLAM writer says the Wizards "will not only make the playoffs in 2010, but will genuinely contend for the title. (SLAM Online)
* Maryland isn't last in the ACC Preseason Media Poll. They're fifth in the Atlantic Division, ahead of Boston College. (Testudo Times)
* Missed this last week, but one of the participants (victims) on the new Discovery Channel show "The Colony" played water polo at GW. (GW Sports)
* Mike Wise on blogs: "My original problem with blogs was the same problem I had with tattoos: if everybody has one, how much of an iconoclast are you really?" (Mister Irrelevant)
* I'm chatting at 11. Submit questions now.
Best D.C. Sports Tweets Over the Past 24 Hours
* It's that time of year!...This is what I live for! I have a HUGE chip on my shoulder and it's time.......... (DeAngelo Hall)
* Luv how some of the wrestler were talking junk when I had big mike sellers beside me Stephon.Hyer, J. Campbell were there but don't think The wrestlers were afraid of them.... Not the fighting type lol (Rocky McIntosh)
* don't call me shels nomore its bruce leroy and im serious lol (Trent Shelton)
July 28, 2009; 7:39 AM ET
Categories: Caps , Media , Nats , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Shaq Denied Entrance to White House
Next: Redskins, Vick Jerseys and WWE
Posted by: rachel216 | July 28, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: BigNasty | July 28, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Gunga2009 | July 28, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: trolly_time | July 28, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: BrokenClipboard | July 28, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fushezzi | July 28, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: BigNasty | July 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jgperras | July 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: jbfromfc | July 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: cpayne624 | July 28, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.