Nationals Concert Fail

UPDATE: The piano was fixed. Elton returned. Please disregard the rest of this entry.

Look, the Nationals are not responsible for every pedal-pounding thing that happens in their ballpark. Pianos can, and probably do, malfunction at every musical venue in the world. The Nats FAIL campaign is trite, hackneyed, repetitive and boring. I'm a useless parasite spreading foul disease over a team that needs civic cuddling, not more filth. And even as I typee type this entry, the actual Nats hit back to back to back home runs. I get it, I get it, I get it.

But when the Nationals trumpet "the first time Nationals Park will be used as a major concert venue," and then, almost immediately, FAIL happens, it's sort of impossible to ignore. I mean, you just knew that a piano pedal would stick and a major international pop star would storm off stage during the first major show at Nats Park, and it's still unbelievable. Let's go to some live Twitter updates from concert goers.

* At Nationals Park, Elton John's piano = FAIL.

* Elton John's piano breaks at DC Face2Face show. Billy Joel covers up for what he calls "a true rock n roll f*** up"

* In true Natinals fashion, Elton John's piano was [messed] up and he walked off stage.

* nats concert fail: Elton johns piano is broken. Concert had to be stopped mid 3rd song.

* Elton John's piano broke so he ran off stage. Auspicious start. Don't worry, Billy Joel led a sing-a-long.

* Oops! Elton John's piano breaks & he storms off stage. Billy Joel keeps playing #Nationals park tonight. Hope Sir Elton goes back on. #fail

* Elton John's piano broke and he left the stage two songs in, now it's an awesome Billy Joel only concert, even better!

* Poor Elton John's piano isnt working. just means more Billy!

* Can't beleive sir Elton John stormed offstage like a schoolgirl. Billy Joel is carrying the show. Go Billy!

* Elton John should man up and play the piano w a stuck pedal!

* F'ing hilarious!Elton John's piano pedal was sticking on the first song, n he stormed offstage. The diva is not happy, might b a short show

* Elton John's piano is broken so I am Noe just attending the Billy Joel concert.

* I can't believe the Elton John Piano F-Up isn't a trending topic! Billy Joel underneath fixing stuck pedal!

(Noted, as always: I believe the Nationals will succeed wildly in the near future, and I will jump on the bandwagon with all four limbs when that happens. Growing pains, is all.)

(And look, I really, really, really do understand that this was not a Nationals fail, and I know many of you will be irritated by this, but it just fits in with the conceit too darn well. Some crazy sports radio host went on a nutty on-air rampage on his own channel this week, ranting that "We don't have any talent. We are the Washington Nationals." ESPN.com hosted a debate this week on whether the Nationals deserve national scorn. This is what we do now. I'm sorry to everyone offended. Hell, as a D.C. resident and baseball fan, I'm offended. I'm sorry to myself.)

(Previously: Nationals Uniform Fail, Nationals Bobblehead Fail, Nationals Bat Fail, Nationals Tarp Fail, Nationals Sausage Fail, Nationals Kosher Fail, Nationals Fireworks Fail, Nationals Timekeeping Fail, Nationals Television Fail, Nationals Gift Fail, Nationals Spelling Fail.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 11, 2009; 9:02 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Earl Weaver's Philosophy and Dmitri's Belly
Next: Nationals Frighten Houston

Comments

I'll be the first to post a comment of protest. As you mentioned, the Nationals are currently up by a load and they had NOTHING to do with this fail. No one on the team or organization did, and for you to even link them is just feeding into all the nationals scorn that people are heaping on the Nationals. If this were at the Verizon Center, would you call this a Wizzard's Fail? Yeah, the Nationals were helping to promote the concert, but that's because it was in their park and they are kind of required to do that. Heck, if you are calling this a National's fail, then I expect to hear a HUGE apology to the Nationals from the guys in charge of making sure that all the instruments are working 100%.

*breath* Okay, my rant is over. Although, seriously, this one was a bit over the line in the series.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 11, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

wah, wah, wah. poor you, steinberg.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 11, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't think I missed the Herman Melville reference up in the, um, fifth sentence there.

Man, poor Natinals. It's like David Spade. So not funny eventually you're laughing.

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 11, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"typee" - Steinberg spelling fail

Posted by: lowcountry | July 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Why was Elton John so pissed? Everyone knows Billy Joel is the Piano Man.

Posted by: nunof1 | July 11, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Who knew that tweets from anonymous, and in some cases profane, Elton John and Billy Joel fanboys and girls were newsworthy? Sad enough that a Post employee reads them but sadder still to feel compelled post them to a blog on a Saturday night. I suppose it's also sad that I even bothered to read the post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 11, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Compelled "to" post them, rather. Whatever. I'm out.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 11, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

People in this city have no sense of humor, I swear...anyone who follows the Nats should know that it's important to laugh when they suck. You know, to keep from crying. It's the DC way.

Hilarious stuff as always, Steinz!

Posted by: CapsChick1 | July 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

This was funny when it had to do with the Nats.

This has nothing to do with the Nats.

This isn't funny.

The fact that you say it has nothing to do with the Nats doesn't make it so. Seriously.

The fact that you're getting paid for this seriously makes me want to cry.

Posted by: edeleon | July 12, 2009 4:37 AM | Report abuse

Well, if it makes anyone feel any better, I sure don't get paid for posting items late on a Saturday night. So this was more a volunteer effort.

I mean, you _really_ don't think there's anyone out there who would get a slight chuckle out of hearing that a piano broke during a concert at Nats Park? If you heard that and you were standing next to a friend and Nats fan who hadn't heard, you _really_ wouldn't say, "Oh man, guess what just happened?"

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 12, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Let me also be the first to go back and thank you for the update. Also I went back to my post and realized that there were some spelling mistakes so I get a huge "Edit Fail".

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 12, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Things went well for the Pope last year, right? I don't recall reading anything about him storming off mid Mass.

Posted by: BBride | July 12, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't let the haters get to you SteinBog you're the man!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | July 12, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Brave of Billy to get down on the ground and try to fix the pedal on the piano.

With Lady Elton poking around Billy could have gotten the thrill of a lifetime from the diva!

Not a wise move to bend over in front of lady Elton.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | July 12, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Come on Dan, you've stretched this to the point of ridiculousness. "If you heard that and you were standing next to a friend and Nats fan who hadn't heard, you _really_ wouldn't say, 'Oh man, guess what just happened?'" Uh, no.

Posted by: reader013 | July 12, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

What a Steinberg fail at an attempt to add to your whole "Nats fail campaign". The Nats had nothing to do with this event, only in the fact Billy & Elton happened to use the same park they play at, and you still have to try and take a jab at them.

We get it they are bad and it's been a long and trying season, but even when they do things positive or something happens out of their control, you still seem to throw fuel to the Nats Fail fire.

The "Natinals" jersey? That was on Majestic. It happens all the time.

Yeah, I've got a sense of humor and some of your stuff is pretty decent, but most of this isn't funny. And when the Nats do get good, please don't jump on the bandwagon.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 12, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious stuff as always, Steinz!

Posted by: CapsChick1 | July 11, 2009 11:08 PM |

AMEN

Posted by: Barno1 | July 12, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The sound was awful. I sat on the highest section on 3rd base and could not understand a single word spoken or sung. I will never attend a muscial event at Nats stadium evidently the concrete shape of the stands caused the sound to distort because that was not an issue on the ground I discovered as I left.

Posted by: foghorn90 | July 12, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Accoustically, a baseball stadium isn't the best venue for a concert, foghorn90. A midsize general purpose stadium the size of current MLS stadiums are better suited for concerts. Too bad DC doesn't have a mid-sized, outdoor venue that can be used for multiple sports and concerts...

Posted by: sitruc | July 12, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The "Natinals" jersey? That was on Majestic. It happens all the time.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 12, 2009 10:57 AM

Want some cheese with that whine?

Posted by: MNMNT | July 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Also, it's not the first time the stadium has been used as a music venue. This is a POST fail!
Last September, us and about 16,000 other people had a great time at Opera in the Outfiled. The Washington National Opera televised its opening night of 'Traviata' on the big screen, folks lolled on blankets in the infield, we ran around in the grass with our shoes off, bought wine on the concourse and had hot dogs and a wonderful time! Can't wait for this year!

Posted by: sbuck | July 12, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Opera in the Outfield, of course. Duh.

Posted by: sbuck | July 12, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

First thing I thought of when I was at the concert and saw what was happening was exactly what Steinberg says... Concert Fail.

Concert was at their field called Nationals Stadium so anyone who doesnt think that this goes with the rest of the ``fail'' campaigns and gets all salty about it is an idiot. Its a running joke, embrace the futility and get over it.

Posted by: WheresRickySanders | July 13, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Dan, this wasn't the Nats' fault. If Paul McCartney's show at FedEx is a fiasco, I doubt you'll blame Dan Snyder.

Indignity upon indignity...as Nick Lowe once sang, "I don't think it's funny no more."

Posted by: VPaterno | July 13, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the Nationals are employing people to comment on WaPo blogs/articles. It is the only explanation for the amount of people who so vehemently defend this franchise

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 13, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Stop saying 'fail' you tool. Talk about the most overused, internet buzz word. Who edits this rag? It's your team, stop knocking them down.

Posted by: kenwood6009 | July 13, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 13, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, you _really_ don't think there's anyone out there who would get a slight chuckle out of hearing that a piano broke during a concert at Nats Park?

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 12, 2009 7:02 AM"

I think anyone with a sense of humor would have gotten a chuckle out of that piano malfunction...not because it happened at Nationals Park, but just because it _happened_ and it was funny!

If you think that "rock n roll f*** up" was somehow related to the concert's location, then you obviously haven't been to very many concerts in your life. Stuff happens, regardless of the venue.

I saw Billy Joel at the Capital Centre in 1980, and the microphone died during "Piano Man." He and his band continued playing while a stage hand attempted to fix the microphone. When the microphone was finally fixed, Billy changed the words to the song just a bit: "And the piano sounds like a carnival, and the microphone don't work for s***!" It was hilarious! And I certainly didn't blame the microphone problem on either the Capitals or Bullets, both of whom had losing records that year while calling Cap Centre their home.

Posted by: Shelley1131 | July 13, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse