Nats End First Half With Intentional Balk

Twice last week, I wrote that one of the reasons you have to keep watching this baseball team is because of the chance "that you'll see something the universe has never seen before." I'm not sure if an intentional walkbalk qualifies, but it's something I had never seen, anyhow. And I wasn't the only one.

"I've never seen it before in my life," Manny Acta said yesterday, calling it "kind of a bizarre thing."

The pitcher, Tyler Clippard, just sort of fell off the mound while holding onto the ball. It happened with men on second and third in the bottom of the eighth, and it turned out to be the last run ever scored against the Acta-led Nats, in the last inning ever pitched by the Acta-led Nats. Such a strange way to go out.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 13, 2009; 10:12 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. is America's Coaching Graveyard (Cont.)
Next: Morning Bog: Take Photo of Cooley, Get Punched

Comments

I confess I gave up on the game before that. oh well.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Interesting you got the stills from Fox Sports Houston. So Cuban Pete's MASN honchos aren't giving you permission to use their stuff?

Posted by: VPaterno | July 13, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Just got my Nats fan email about the whole thing with Acta....

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Just got my Nats fan email about the whole thing with Acta....

Posted by: alex35332 | July 13, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

My fiance didn't get it when I kept referring to it as the world's first Intentional Balk, until I finally pointed out that the catcher wasn't behind home plate.

Maybe Clippard is one of those guys who believes the IBB should be outlawed.

Posted by: deacondrake | July 13, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I was commenting on the game in another section. Back to back innings with bases loaded and nothing from it... I couldn't say anything else after the balk.

Posted by: sitruc | July 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 13, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse