Nats Fan Ribbing Lerners?

There are a few things that could be going in this reader-submitted photo taken at Saturday night's Nats game.

1) This man is making a political statement concerning his deepest feeling about the Lerner family and its spending habits.

2) This man is attempting to honor the Lerner family by associating them with D.C.'s most famous zero-jersey superstar.

3) This man's name is Wilbur Lerner.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 18, 2009; 7:29 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Lose to Wolves, 89-82
Next: Morning Bog: Real World at D.C. United Game

Comments

So, what's the over/under for when the "Fire Riggleman" drumbeat begins?

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Also on when the first "Steinberg 0" jersey appears at Nats Park?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope it was an anti-Lerner statement; they are worthless. Dan, how about the beginning of a movement to bring back the real DC baseball history - the original Nationals, Senators, and Grays AND to get a real flags i.e. ones that you can actually read that celebrate the Nationals pennants in 1924, 1925, 1933 and the glorious championship season of '24. Every time I hear about a Montreal record a little piece of my heart breaks.... It seems to me that all Lerner learned during his youth at Griffith Stadium was to be a miserly SOB like "The Old Fox" himself.

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 19, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about it this weekend. I used to play basketball, not for my schools but in a non-school related program. And for two years the team I was on never won a game. Two solid years of getting our @$$ handed to us every weekend. I realized I would rather re-live those moments of my childhood through abusive drinking than to go to a nat's game alone as I was thinking of doing.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 20, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I think the more pressing question is: who tucks a jersey into jacked up denim jeans?

Posted by: DangerNat | July 20, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

mjwies11,

Sorry, but the pennants and championship banner you speak of belong to the Minnesota Twins as they are the original Washington Senators. DC baseball history is really confusing when you speak of all the teams that played here.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 20, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Adam Dunn was a good pick-up. The Nats are going to have to go out and get 2 more players of that caliber.

We also need to forget about having a hitter at shortstop. Get a guy who cant hit his weight, but will quarterback the defense and make other players around him want to flash the leather and stay focused.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 20, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

thisismydcsportsopinion,

I am well aware of the convoluted history - but money trumps all. And it still does nothing to diminish my point about the lame 1924 etc. Championship banners over the scoreboard that cannot be read. These are the little things that show the Lerner's disinterest in providing the best product possible, their lack of respect for DC baseball and its baseball fans, and is another example of how miserly and cheap they seem to be.

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 20, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

mjwies11,

The thing that really bothers me is that these Nationals take their "official" nickname from a brief period of time during the early 1900s when the Washington Senators (today the Minnesota Twins) were renamed the Nationals as they were floundering so much and that this current club, at times, refuses to acknowledge that they were really founded in Montreal in 1969 though we're gradually seeing some shades of the past when talking about records and even the current away jersey looks similar to the Expos. Maybe we've upset the baseball gods with this faux pas and are paying for it with the continuing trend of dismal teams.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 20, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 20, 2009 9:32 AM

Give me a break with the Montreal stuff. Washington did not steal the Expos away - the franchise would have been contracted if they did not leave. They were owned by the league and doomed. They're hardly the Browns or Colts, who were unfairly removed from adoring fans.

MLB and its franchises have control over records and they'll probably stay in a mess between Washington, Montreal, Minnesota and Texas. But we all know that this team carries on a sometimes proud, usually dismal tradition of DC baseball. You see that everywhere but the record books.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 20, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Kev29 for taking my words out of context and coming to a conclusion all your own.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It so hard to stay quiet when someone has no idea of what they are talking about and they just snark their way through life.
The Nationals name was the official name and the Senators was a nickname or second name until 1955 when the PR people wanted to clear up the name/nickname confusion.
So they went with Senators because you can draw a Senator as an image there is really no sort of image of a National which is why they were also the called Senators in the first place.

BTW They have always been the NATS.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh yes, another anonymous shot at my character.

This whole naming conundrum goes to show how confusing the past and present is when our own fan base is squabbling and trying to make sense of it all.

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 20, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

BOOOOOHOO waaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaawh wwwwwwwwwwwwwwah

Posted by: MNMNT | July 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

There's no crying in baseball! Or complaining about the past! Let it go already. Sheesh.

Posted by: ImWithStupid | July 20, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I won't let it go when the Hall of Fame lists the Twins with the 1924 championship and we have NONE. History belongs with the city where it was created NOT to the city where the team moves to!

Reserving my comments on the Lerners until August 18th