Nyjer Morgan's Gentleman's Name

(By Luis M. Alvarez - AP)

Most Nats fans already know this, but I didn't, so I'm going to write it. Here is the transcript of the interview with Rocco DeMaro in which Nyjer Morgan, who is preordained to read the words "fan favorite" at every stop in his baseball career, revealed his gentleman's name.

Q: Nyjer, before we let you go, you need like a catchphrase, like a nickname. I've started calling you Ny-Mo, just to shorten it up. Did you have something they called you coming up through the system, in your minor-league days?

A: Just Nyj-Mo. But no. And my gentleman's name is Tony Plush. And my DJ name is DJ Nij-Nnn-Nnn-Nnn-Nice.

For the record, the latter was my best attempt, though I can't completely vouch for that spelling. Please listen for yourself right here.

Also, as the nickname spread, it sort of morphed a bit. Like, here was a story from the Beaver County Times:

Tony Blush" as an alter ego. It's just a little thing, yet it spoke to what Nyjer Morgan is. One name isn't enough for him. One persona isn't enough for him. He is real and yet he is unreal.

The only thing holding him back in the D.C. fan favorite category is the fact that Morgan, a former hockey player, went to skate with the Penguins this spring. The WaTi has more, but this passage from the Post-Gazette about a Pens victory celebration at the Pirates park, all of three weeks ago, makes for fairly grisly reading:

"The whole thing gave me the willies," Morgan said. "Honestly, I got really emotional. That's our team, from our city, and I grew up with hockey as my first love. When you're a kid playing hockey, that's your dream, to see the Cup, to touch the Cup, and there it was right in front of me."

Morgan, who converted from hockey to baseball at age 20, was the most animated of the Pirates' players during the ceremony, at one point igniting one of several "Let's Go Pens" chants from the crowd. He also caught Guerin's ceremonial first pitch, then fairly bounced to the mound to embrace him.

Other things about Morgan: he calls himself "an aggressive type of cat," he named his car Charlene because "she rides real clean," and he has earned long features about his dedication to wearing stirrups, with Uni Watch's Paul Lukas saying Morgan has "the best lower-leg look in baseball."

"I've done it ever since I was in college," Morgan told the Tribune-Review. "Plus, it's the right look, in my eyes."

See how different his lower legs look from Willie Harris's, pictured above. Only one man can have the best lower-leg look in baseball.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 6, 2009; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals Spelling Fail
Next: Wizards to WJFK

Comments

Dan -

A quick heads up on another Natinals fail yesterday. With 2 outs and 2 strikes in the bottom of the 9th inning yesterday vs the braves, the nats pitcher threw what the nats fireworks staff thought was strike three. The batter actually fouled the ball off but the person in charge thought the game was over and shot them off. Everyone in our section was kind of laughing. The game ended one or two pitches later, but no fireworks were shot off - im guessing he used them all up on the foul ball.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

capsfan, that was covered a few posts ago. Commenter fail.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

capsfan, see previous post.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the links. I do like the stirrups look. Former Nat Robert [RF] Fick wore them as well, as you may recall.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

um, not to pile on with fails but the Charlene and stirrups hotlinks both lead to the same story (on stirrups).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That Hertzel piece was a nice find (extra points for the Cool Papa Bell reference). Thanks for that one.

The Pens victory link seems to be a dead end. You're just sprinkling these little fails in to make us feel better about the Nats ones, right?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, those links are fixed.

And no, they weren't intentional, but yes, I should certainly be open for such criticism, especially with what I've been doing.

Look, a whole lot of people think these are unfair. Maybe so. Obviously, there aren't thousands of people putting together Nats scoreboard graphics; it's a couple of human beings, operating very quickly. I get that. And maybe this is rude.

But it's sort of the gimmick, at this point. The gimmick changes as soon as the W-L record does. I'm obviously not coming up with these alone; people send them to me. The gimmick is fun, to a certain segment of fan. They're still people who are at the games, rooting for the team to win. Try to divorce the gimmick from the franchise.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 6, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh I think the people actually getting their panties in a twist over the "fail" series is an extreme minority. If we can't laugh at the foibles of our storied franchise, we'd be locked into certain gut-wrenching depression as our only available emotion.

Posted by: RyanKelly | July 6, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for fixing the links, Dan. I was joking about them being intentional (emoticon fail).

I don't doubt that the Nats fail posts are funny to some. I also don't doubt that among those who find them funny are Nats fans who are at the games, rooting for the team. I'm not one to question another fan's level of commitment. However, I did find this "Try to divorce the gimmick from the franchise." to be a tad condescending.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

one thing I heard Nyjer say on his MASN interview in the dugout sort of left me with a cartoon bubble question mark over my head.

He was all nice and funny and laughy, but when he was asked which players on his new team were more welcoming to him, he rambled a bit then said something like, "nah, really though, they've all been real humble with me."

Humble with him?

Posted by: NatsNut | July 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Look, a whole lot of people think these are unfair. Maybe so."

Nats Fail posts unfair? No. Jumped the shark? Yeah, about six weeks ago.

Posted by: section417 | July 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer will really get to touch the Cup this coming Spring and catch the "First Pitch" from the great O.

Posted by: adhardwick | July 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah section417, I sometimes think so. Then again, on Twitter at least, I got more than three times as many people to click on the Tursday post than I did on the Keane post or the Nyjer post. Granted, none of them are gonna be Pulitzer finalists, most likely, but people still seem curious.

Ah, whatever. It's July 6 in D.C. No one's on the Internet anyhow. I should be off drinking lattes.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

woops - didnt see the post down there. After the fireworks went off I was sure the braves would hit a 3 run home run. Thankfully it didnt happen.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, you're a click wh0re!! LOL!

Posted by: NatsNut | July 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse