Preliminary WJFK Sports Talk Lineup

Through months of rumors, radio listeners have wondered whether the D.C. sports talk market is big enough to support two full-time stations. We're about to find out.

With WJFK 106.7 set to flip to sports talk on July 20, multiple industry sources have confirmed this preliminary lineup:

6-10: The Junkies

10-2: Mike Wise and Bill Rohland

2-6: LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes

As previously reported, CBS Radio's WJFK agreed to a multi-year deal to broadcast Wizards games and is continuing to talk with other local college and pro teams about broadcast rights. On nights when the station doesn't have game coverage, there will almost certainly be additional local programming, and the station has already talked to a few interesting names about filling that time slot. Expect updates on both of these fronts before the end of the month, and expect a formal announcement about the format switch next week. (DCRTV, which has been all over the switch for an extremely long time, posted this, for example.)

WJFK officials declined to comment on their lineup or any format changes. I reached Arrington on the phone, and he declined to comment about any specific schedule with the station, but he had this to say about his near future:

"If you thought I had a lot to say as a Washington Redskin, you have no idea. I have a lot to say. I have a whole lot to say. The wave is comin', bro."

From a sports talk perspective, the immediate impulse is to compare this prospective lineup against the existing schedule on ESPN 980. The morning drive competition remains the same: nationally syndicated Mike and Mike on 980, and the Junkies (or Sports Junkies, or whatever) on WJFK. From a D.C. sports fan's perspective, that's got to be considered a knockout for the latter.

From 10-12, it will be Wise and Rohland against Colin Cowherd; obviously Wise is both my friend and my co-worker, but if you're a D.C. sports fan and you listen to The Herd instead of Wise, you might as well cover your bedroom walls with Romo and Crosby posters. (Rohland, in case you're unfamiliar with him, is the play-by-play voice of George Mason basketball, which I used to cover. He's a lifelong Northern Virginia resident who has previously co-hosted guy-talk radio on Baltimore's Live 105.7 and sports-talk, with Chad Dukes, on Baltimore's 1300).

From 12-2, things finally get interesting with Wise/Rohland against the as-now solo Kevin Sheehan on 980. From 2-4, Arrington and Dukes (another Northern Virginia guy, from Lake Braddock/George Mason), would square off against John Thompson and Doc Walker, and from 4-6, against 980's franchise players, the Sports Reporters. And, of course, the bald orange elephant in the room remains Tony Kornheiser, who will wind up on some sort of air eventually.

Wise's program will be produced by Chris Johnson, who previously produced John Thompson's Show and held management positions at 980. Liz Drabick, another hire from 980, will do updates for WJFK, sources said. The station has also hired a Redskins beat reporter with national radio experience, but don't be surprised if some of these shows go a tad lighter on the Redskins talk than 980 has traditionally done.

Many of you will ask what this means for Mike O'Meara, Oscar Santana (the Big O) and others at WJFK; sorry to say I don't exactly know yet.

Now, please analyze this lineup in the comments below.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 8, 2009; 5:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kastles Coach Guarantees a Win Tonight
Next: Morning Bog: Malcolm Delaney Saw LeBron Get Dunked On

Comments

Now if only they could acquire the Caps broadcast rights so that you can actually hear them... and bring another NFL team to town so we can kick Snyder's ass to the curb.

Posted by: apva2 | July 8, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Mike Wise have a day job already?

Hard to judge the new lineup without actually hearing how the talent meshes, whether they can sustain four hours a day, etc. But if they have a more typical sports-radio format that you hear in other cities--i.e. let's actually seriously talk about the local teams besides the Redskins in a serious way, actually have guys who regularly watch the Caps game every night or the Nats game most nights and can talk about the teams in a somewhat intelligent way--I'm on board.

Posted by: TheFingerman | July 8, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of Mike Wise. The junkies were last good when they were the sports junkies. But you're right, I would much rather listen to that than Mike & Mike or Cowherd.

Expected to get Czaben's morning show though. Been missing that since red zebra bought 980.

With JFK getting the wizards, I hope caps go back to 980, probably would be less conflicts and I can get 94.3 after sundown unlike 1500.

Posted by: boywaja | July 8, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank the Lord for an alternative to Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin -- as annoying a duo as ever did be, with listeners who tune in only because there is no other sports talk show on at the time.

Now if Tom Laverro and Chris Knoche will just jump ship and go to JFK, all will be good.

And if Tony K comes back to radio, let us all pray he goes go 980.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | July 8, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge fan of the big o and dukes show. I'm very upset that the show is going to be cancelled. However, keeping chad dukes on jfk is genius. He's a very talented DJ who is very knowledgable about sports. I'm very glad he got the afternoon drive. Long Live Chad Dukes!!!

Posted by: FanFromFallsChurch | July 8, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe CBS thinks this is a good idea. Did Michael Hughes suffer a sudden case of brain damage? The Mighty JFK is being poisoned, kicked in the ***** and dragged behind a bus. I mourn. The DC area has lost it's luster. Radio is fading into the twilight of life. My heart is heavy. If you feel the same way join us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=124344017836&ref=mf

Posted by: ThomasS1 | July 8, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure this is a really smart move either considering 106.7 was already all talk now just becoming specifically sports talk. The Junkies will remain a strong draw but really aren't competing vs. 980 in so much as they are competing against the superior Elliot in the Morning (oh yeah I said it).

Having Chad Dukes accompany Lavar is also a strange matchup considering how out of place Lavar seems on Comcast whenever he was on. I think he'll be loud but not the type of guy humor Big O and Dukes thrived with. And replacing Mike O'Meara with them also is weird.

Not to mention the time of the programs you're basically bumping Dukes back a couple hours losing part of his audience. I think putting Dukes/Lavar in the 10-2 spot would be better but I guess Lavar won't be able to wake up that early.

Hopefully they add TK in there somewhere, preferably getting rid of Lavar and shortening the other programs.

Posted by: JDP_ | July 8, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

And WJFK joins the ranks of cookie cutter, crappy, corporate radio. I stopped listening to radio because they all stunk and had the same content. Then I moved here and discovered WJFK and Big O and Dukes on nights. I started listening to radio again with the JFK lineup. Now, its another sports radio station to throw around cliche terms like "tremendous upside" and over analyze games. Oh yeah and they will broadcast the games of a basketball team no one cares about. Good move CBS. Hey advertisers: here is one 26 year old, white, college educated male who buys a lot of crap that won't be listening to this station anymore.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | July 8, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This is the stupidest idea ever. Still hope it's not true.

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | July 8, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

For all the pluses and minuses of the lineups, I do like the fact that everything is local...at least for now. There is no reason to have a national or syndicated show in this town. We have enough teams to carry the discussion.

Posted by: ChimpanzeeRage | July 8, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I am a huge D.C. sports fan and have lived here for 20 years. I think this idea is terrible. WJFK was something unique and special (especially the synergy between the three shows). I've been listening to WJFK since Day 1 of the Don & Mike Show when they moved from WAVA. This is corporate radio at its worst.

The true loss in all of this is the Mike O'Meara Show. Mike devoted 18+- years of his life to that radio station, and it now appears he has been unceremoniously dismissed without the courtesy of the goodbye show. Once this format switches, I will NEVER listen to WJFK again and urge others to do the same. Unfortunately, whomever made this decision will have probably moved on before he/she can be shown the folly of their decision once the station plummets to the ground.

R.I.P WJFK -- you were the first of your kind in radio and, sadly, it appears that you are also the last.

Posted by: mchoya | July 8, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

It'll be nice to have an alternative to Pollin/Czabyn. Those guys are clowns. Loverro/Wise/Buckhantz/Knocke do a good job, but to listen to endless, uninformed and baseless ranting gets old.

However, I'm a little skeptical about LaVar. I'll wait and see on that one. I think it's strange timing to have a show from 2-6, with most people tuning in for the final hour on their ride home.

I liked Wise as a guest on the Sports Reporters. We'll see if he can carry a show.

The best show this town had was the few short months when Doc Walker and Kevin Sheehan were teaming up. I feel like Sheehan does the best job hands down, as far as being informed and having a support for his statements. Doc provides the entertainment factor.

Hopefully both stations don't go the way of TK. He's the absolute worst. Arrogant, uninformed and self-absorbed. He's been downhill ever since the Redskins Bandwagon articles during the 91 Super Bowl run.

Will the Junkies switch to more of a sports format or stick with their pop culture/entertainment/sports bit?

Posted by: TheMichael | July 8, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Meh. No big deal. The Junkies are solid. Big O and Dukes talked about the same crap every single day. Dukes was the star of the show. Oscar was the sidekick who wasn't much.

The Mike O'Meara show was horrible IMO. Mike is talented but isn't the lead type of guy like Don was. Rob Spewak was painful to listen to. Just not funny at all.

Overall, WJFK has never been able to fill that mid-day slot. I'm looking forward to hearing Wise on the radio. I'm just hoping Lavar isn't as painful to listen to as BMitch and Doc Walker. Those two could be the worst radio guys ever. I doubt Lavar will be much better. My guess is the Junkies stay the course, Wise does okay and Lavar & Dukes are horrible.

Outside of the Junkies, WJFK has been terrible for a couple of years.

Posted by: JDR1970 | July 8, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

MCHoya - you're dead on. Not only will I not listen to CBS stations if they don't find a home for Mike O'Meara, who has kow-towed to management for 18 years, unlike Don G, who prided himself on being enigmatic to anyone above him... I will boycott their advertisers as well, and let them know about it. I doubt it will make a difference, but what the suits at CBS are doing is inexcusable, and letting it pass without notice is even worse.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | July 8, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Sports radio in DC is the worst...compared to Philly or NY it's absolutely pathetic. The "Junkies" are just plain awful. And let's be honest John Thompson is terrible, Kornheiser is an arrogant unfunny bore and Lavar Arrington is probably going to be an inarticulate apologist for his former teammates as they go through the motions in another 8-8 season. What a joke.

Posted by: dbunkr | July 8, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

WJFK Sports Talk: River or Life?

River. No doubt.

Posted by: OhHeyKurtRey | July 8, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please let Mr. Tony land at JFK.

LaVarr was a horrible guest on 980 and I expect even worse on JFK.

Doc and Sheehan were good radio. Doc with the Coach is ok too. Sheehan and Nigel would be epic (but not as epic as Mr. Tony and Nigel).

We need more wheat probing and drunken/deported Nigel stories.

Knoche is great reacting to Czaban and Polley, but I'd love to see him with a daily show. Not likely given his UM gigs though.

How soon will Danny file bankruptcy for 980? Not soon enough.

Posted by: rdpinva | July 8, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

There are two definative sports stations on the East Coast
WFAN in NY
WEEI in Boston

Both allow the local fan to call in an vent. In effect, they provide the couch for us to express our deepest feelings and the hosts are the shrinks. It works.

Contrast this to 980 where all we hear is how smart the hosts are and very few fans get on the air to vent. I hope WJFK allows us fans to call in.

Oh, and cover more local teams -- maybe a high school sports show on Saturday????

Posted by: joecct77 | July 8, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"WJFK Sports Talk: River or Life?

River. No doubt."

Couldn't have said it better myself:
THROW IT IN THE RIVER!

Posted by: JDP_ | July 8, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"There are two definative sports stations on the East Coast
WFAN in NY
WEEI in Boston"

No mention of WIP in Philadelphia? WIP is one of the very few sports talk stations that is equal to those two vaunted stations.

I hope this turns out good for JFK. The Junkies are very talented radio guys, and were at their best IMO when they were the "Sports Junkies". There is no excuse for the dearth of decent sports talk radio in a town with an NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB franchise (not to mention WNBA, great local NCAA teams, MLS, and others). If the programming is of a better quality than the dreadful barely listenable 980 they should have a winner on their hands.

Posted by: Philbiker | July 8, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Great. Now there will be two sports radio stations, but still no hockey coverage. I was hoping Al Koken would land a gig there. I listened to the "junkies" during the playoff and it didn't take long to realize they knew NOTHING about hockey. At least Mike O'Meara knew the sport.
This town's got one winning team with the best player in the world on it, yet we can't even get any decent radio coverage. Thank goodness for XM radio and the NHL network.

Posted by: bagace | July 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The lineup, in all honesty, looks absolutely terrible. I guess I'll give them a shot, but no one on that lineup seems compelling enough to listen to.

Posted by: amorris525 | July 8, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

This is the most ill conceived move in the history of radio. What genius said 'hey lets get rid of a unique format that has been gaining in the ratings and substitute it for yet another sports talk station in an region that has plenty of sports talk. It is unforgivable that WJFK would switch formats and not even give Mike O'Meara the opportunity to have a farewell show. My family and its Arbitron ratings meters will never dial up a CBS radio station again if this is true. Goodbye WJFK and Hello XM Radio!! CBS Radio Execs you've never made a more boneheaded move. Don't do it!

Posted by: stuckintheeast | July 8, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Sports radio in general feels like a waste of airtime. Of course, that is just my opinion.

I enjoy watching/listening to/being at THE GAME. Filling the other 20 hours in a given day with the praise or complaints of either know-it-all hosts or know-it-all/borderline psychotic listeners hollering at said hosts or other listeners about what went right or wrong is not my idea of a "must-listen" station.

I can go to the internet for that, and avoid the annoying voices, bad cell phones, and repetitive ads.

I will miss the funny. This is a sad day indeed.

Posted by: Goat_74 | July 8, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"There are two definative sports stations on the East Coast: WFAN in NY, WEEI in Boston"

I am a native of DC. It is nice to see some other sports station the metro area. I have lived in NYC, and now live in San Francisco. We have KNBR in the bay area. I have to say it is one of the most excellent sports stations I have listened too in a long time. And I get to hear Jon Miller call SF Giants Baseball games. Use to love to listen to him on WBAL call the O's games. I just hope that Dan Synder beefs up WTEM, or he will have to sell the stations.

Posted by: yeayea911 | July 8, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

the current line up was great. wjfk goes sports, whfs is back, wtf.

this is one way to get rid of some P1's.

Posted by: pkjr703 | July 9, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

For the life of me, I don't see how a LaVarr Arrington and Chad Dukes show is going to work. Who is going to fill the "straight man" role on that show? I mean, call him a "sidekick" or whatever but you need that Big O element of the show to act as a foil for the "Wacky" Dukes antics. I predict that the non-stop schtick will get old fast.

"The Three Stooges" worked for a reason. That show wouldn't have worked if there were three Curlys.

It won't matter, I'm not going to listen to the station anyway out of protest. It's all Satellite for me now, I guess.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 9, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

why would they make the afternoon drive time from 2-6? seems to me that 3 or 4-7 makes more sense, particularly if they have wiz games which typically start at 7:30. i would keep the junks, move wise/rohland to 10-1, have some filler (the return of riggo?) from 1-4 and then afternoon drive from 4-7.

sorry to see mike go. i'm a big fan but his show just didnt work. how's this for an idea, mr. tony and mike o'm doing a show. tony is the lead banana and mike does what he does best, which is be the side kick. maybe on 94.7...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 9, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

When I moved to D.C. I could not find a decent radio channel that didn't cause me to want to jab my ear with an ice pick. nothing original, nothing interesting, just the same crap that is everywhere else. Then I found WJFK. It covered topics I would cover with my friends, things that covered me and my life, it was personal, I began to feel like I began to know my knew area from listening to the shows on WJFK. Now switching to sports, which I love, but not being from DC, like many people in the area, I don't think I can listen to lots of local homers, and nothing about my own teams. Sadly, its back to podcasts I think. I hope Dukes does well, I will give him a shot, cause he earned it, but I'm just not sure it will work.

Posted by: jniznak | July 9, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

How completely underwhelming. So CBS Radio just destroyed a Washington institution for that?!? The Mike O'Meara Show and Big O and Dukes were the best thing on radio, to be replaced by Mike Wise and Lavar Arrington. Color me unimpressed, and tuning out.

Posted by: cwb3 | July 9, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

10-2: Mike Wise and Bill Rohland

-THANK GOD! No more listening to Collin Cowherd!!!!!!! That guy is so annoying, I don't get how anyone could possibly like him.

How does Lavar get a 4 hour show??? They should've gotten Al Koken a show, so he could talk Caps all day.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 9, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Anything has to be better than Snyder's propaganda machine on 980. Let's give 106.7 a shot!

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

You knew it was coming, JFK was the Alamo for that format of radio. I don't know about this linup, Junkies going to sports junkies is probably smart, they are unbearably dumb when it comes to anything outside sports, but this now means 4 hours of yelling about golf. I do like Wise getting a show, he has a good sense of humor. Dukes and LaVar, sounds like Oil mixing with water to me.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 9, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The genius of the 2-6 slot which has been maligned above is a full hour lead in to the Wiz and team to be named later on WJFK. If I'm Uncle Stan, I am very interested in this. Slide Phil Wood into a spring, summer, and fall baseball pregame show -- tossed to Charlie and Dave as necessary for pre-game interviews -- and that will increase the interest in/understanding of the team and MLB. Will benefit the Wiz as well -- paging Michael Lee for that slot. WFAN in NYC has done this for years and it is a pleasure to listen to intelligent insight into that night's game.

As an aside, good to see Tracee Hamilton writing Nats columns in the Dead Tree. Even as craptastic as the Nats are, I still want to read more features/columns like the Lannan piece today. Go Blogmom!

Posted by: WebberDC | July 9, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

webber,
an hour lead in to the wiz? try one and a half hours since most wiz home games start at 7:30. and who needs an HOUR lead in to every game? half hour would do. from the 6-7 hour lots of folks are still commuting in their cars and i doubt most of them would want to listen to just wiz/caps/nats talk during that time.

however, i would like to hear phil wood get a permanant slot. he's got a face made for radio and certainly is the expert on local baseball...not to mention music.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 9, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

This sucks.

I thought it was just a matter of time before someone picked up Czaban's "The first team" in the morning, put some combination of Riggo/Koken/Mike Wise?/Loverro? on mid day and put Kornheiser on the drive home. That station would have been great.

The biggest thing I wanted out of a new sports talk station was another option besides Cowherd and Mike and Mike.

The Sports Junkies were already there and they suck. I will get to avoid Cowherd now but this is not what I was hoping for.

Now Koken/Riggins/Czabe's morning show, have no chance at finding a home in the DC market because DC definitely can't support 3 sportstalk stations.

Posted by: JeffV7 | July 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

PUT KORNHEISER ON!

that is all

Posted by: hockeypunk | July 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Plus does anyone trust Lavar for 20 hrs of radio a week?

Posted by: JeffV7 | July 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Dan, did you bother to check the credibility of your "multiple industry sources" by asking them when Manny Acta will be fired? No? Didn't think so. Reporter fail.

Posted by: section417 | July 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps a bit more Nats coverage, a little less of the Skins would be nice. Tony K. would be a good add.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 9, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Lavar sucks!!! The "Franchise" that never was. He is only great in his own mine. Who cares what he has to say?? They could do a lot better than lavar.......

Also the Nationals would be good for next year.... hey they can't suck forever.... right???

Posted by: punchdaclock | July 9, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Completely underwhelmed by that lineup. No creativity or real thought given at all. The Junkies have pretty much jumped the shark. Wise is as superficial as it gets and is a transplant with no sense of DC sports before he got here. Plus, he's just really annoying on the air. Arrington was an underachiever as a player and we don't need any more blowhard ex-Redskins on the air around here. The others are radio journeymen. THIS is the best they can put together? A recipe for mediocrity (or worse), just like WTEM.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 9, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about this from a business standpoint, there is some sense in the change of format. "The Danny" has nuked 980 with an "All Redskins All THE TIME" format.

For everone interesting topic or interesting or funny thing Mike and Mike do they do 1,000 awful things. Having a morning alternative is good for the listeners, and the local business that will take up the ad time.

Coward is a dull, boring, moderately mentally changelled dullered. Again, going local during his shows hours makes good sense.

John Thompson, God love him, is an inarticulate goof. His show has stunk from day one. Having an alternative is great. I don't need to hear John "Joe the Fan" come off as being a total idiot everytime football is mentioned. And on the Danny Station, football is always being mentioned.

I do like the Sports Reporters, so anything sports-wise going up against it is going to have to be good.

The new JFK line-up has holes.I would find a place to put Phil Woods, the best baseball man around here, maybe on the east cost. The area needs more hockey, so getting Koken a gig would be a great idea. The Caps have earned the right to be covered on a regular basis and discussed by individuals with hockey smarts.

The Junkies, when they were the Sports Junkies, were a good show. Putting them back in their comfort zone makes perfect sense.

Between the two stations, with a few modifications, DC may have some sprots programing worth listening to. Just be prepared to dial jump.

CBS is looking for a way to leverage "The Danny's" greed, marketing and overall airwaves stupidity. By targeting local shows, using local business as their bread and butter ad revenue sources, JFK will have a lower overheard, greater local appeal and give the area something more divese. CBS will make money, and that is why they own stations.

Could be worse. Someone could have given a time slot to the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Posted by: tzj20874 | July 9, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The only reason I support this is because it gives 980 some competition. The lineup is weaker than expected though, but I'll give it a shot. I would enjoy some more Nats and Caps analysis, the 1 hour lead in pre-game show before game broadcasts would be great. Sports radio should be MUCH better in this town, there is no excuse for how bad it is now.

Posted by: jacktrickard | July 9, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm also underwhelmed by the proposed lineup. I enjoy many print journalists on the radio. I think much of Pollin and Czaban's success is due to rotating such journalists as guests on their show. WJFK should try something like ESPN's Sunday Morning "Sports Reporters", by getting a non-annoying John Saunders-type host, and a regular rotation of *real* sports reporters.

Posted by: eric22 | July 9, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

thanks god i don't have to listen to big-O and dukes talk about video games and MMA anymore. I mean seriously, those guys are friggin dorks.

kornheiser mornings, czabe at noon, and junkies on the ride home woulda been taters.

overall 980 and WJFK are very disappointing.

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 9, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

980 has made alot of mistakes recently. Sheehan is not going to cut it from 12-2 by himself. They should have left Doc with Kevin and 2-4 Coach, B-Mitch, & AL.

The sports reporters is ok sometimes but I hate when they get into non sports topics. They are kind of CHEESY in my opinion. I will listen to LaVar FRY the Redskins over the reporters.

Posted by: kevenjones | July 9, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chopin224 | July 9, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I am willing to give the lineup a chance. I have already programmed my radio to get that station in the car, and will be listening often (been listening to 106.7 since it was music back in my high schools days, a pretty long time).

With that, it finally past time for ESPN980 to have a competitor. For one, the station does not have much local programming, and never has (this goes long before Red Zebra owned the station). The hired talents, until recently, have not really focused on the other area teams much outside the Redskins, and in the case of teams like the Capitals, DC United, Mystics, and some area college programs (except MD and G-Town)no discussion or coverage at all. Hopefully there will be more, and there will also not be a conflict of interest on viewpoints where if you are consistent in saying that what the Redskins are doing is wrong on air you will not be terminated for it.

As far as game coverage is concerned, i would have preferred them to obtain the Caps or Nats first, but the main thing is they do have the Bullets, and with the competitor wanting to be 24/7 Skins, at some point this station will get more listeners if they play their cards right.

Some suggestions for additions to JFK to make them credible and a legitimate threat to ESPN980 livelihood:

George Michael
Al Koken
Brian Mitchell
Pam Ward
Kevin Kiley (if he is still in the area)
Frank Hanarahan
John Feinstein
Thomas Boswell
Russ Thaler
Rob Dibble

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | July 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

You want to listen to talk about Nasscar, its all they do when you watch Nasscar. Racing's not like other sports where you need a play by play man for every thing that happens.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 9, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Too bad about Mike O'Meara. His show is good, but its hard to get anywhere near as good as the Don and Mike show. I hope this switch will affect the Junkies, their schtick is getting a bit tired lately.

Posted by: jro1 | July 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow, finally a sports channel and line up that is not owned by Daniel Snyder. I hope Lavar has been practicing because when he was on TV, he looked like a deer in the headlights and never said anything interesting. True, now the Junkies can stop worrying about how to get chicks to their appearances and rant more about Golf. Announcing that you have the air rights to the wizards is no big prize... nobody went to their games... do you really think anyone is gonna listen? Overall, I think this switch will be the demise of the station and after this year, you will see another format switch or CBS selling off the Dan Snyder because he would be dumb enough to by it:)

Posted by: rvanags | July 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Kiley and the Coach!

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: Franklin92 | July 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sad Sad day in radio, Im a huge local sports fan and I fully support all local teams but WJFK had something special, the Big O and Dukes show is hands down the best thing on the radio I know Chad will hold his weight however will Lavar she show will crumble
RIP WJFK

Posted by: wdevers | July 9, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Love the new lineup. Couldn't ask for more. Mike Wise will be great on radio and his focus on the positive aspects of the local teams will be a great alternative to the 980 focus on the negatives. And with LaVar, it will be nice to have a former Redskin who doesn't use his podium to settle a score with his former team.

Last but not least, while I consider myself a longtime Tony Kornheiser fan, I do not understand the fascination others have with his radio gig. His old radio show rarely kept me entertained. Especially when he delved into areas in which he really had no idea what he was talking about. It's not that I disagree with his politics--which I do--it's that he was just so ill-informed on those subjects it was hard to listen to him trying to act like he knew what he was talking about. I listen to and watch plenty of political shows with hosts on the other side of the political spectrum, provided they are informed on the issues. Tony K gave the impression that he simply read headlines to stay on top of the news, not the actual content of news articles. Not intelligent commentary, not by a long shot.

Anyhow, congrats to LaVar and Wise. Am looking forward to listening to their respective shows.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 9, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

It is sad O'Meara will be gone. Hopefully he will land on his feet somewhere. Hopefully siri/xm. Thompson can be summed up in one word. Racist. He should have been kicked of long ago. If a whte show host acted like he acts they would have been dismissed long ago.

Posted by: dganderson13 | July 9, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

You all know that Doc Walker cannot string a sentence together. You all know that, correct? Just asking.

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

That's the stupidest thing I've read on this blog in a long, long time. Doc Walker is clearly a bright and intelligent guy, and one of the better radio personalities in this town.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"What about a talk/information show at least one hour a week about Nascar? It is the second most watched sports on TV and there are many Nascar fans in this area. No need for a daily show, just one hour a week perhaps on the weekend."

WJFK already has a racing show on the weekends.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

With respect to Nascar, I am not talking about play-by-play, although on MRN, they DO play by play They have a person at each turn and they turn the "play-by-play over toe each other as the leaders go from one turn to another. they do a great job. However, talk radio is about people asking questions and voicing opinions. How many times to we need to hear callers complain that the Redskins should have drafted O-linemen? That said, what is wrong with a caller complaining that Nascar should let the teams choose the rear end ratios as well as the gears in the transmissions, or complain about restrictor plate races, or declare how much they dislike Kyle Busch? These are the types of calls that take place on regular sports talk shows.
By the way John Thompson is not a racist.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 9, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Duh! I just read that WJFK already has a racing show. I need to get out more!

Posted by: chopin224 | July 9, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Barno, relax. Doc was part of the Posse and the 1st one off the bus, etc. He got in on 4% of the snaps and did his stumble blocking thing. Still wears the colors and what not. But on the radio, the fella is down right inarticulate. Makes a man pine for SuzyK.

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | July 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I would love to hear more detail reporting on the Capitals . I really can't find any reporting worth listening to about the Caps . I would love to see a talk show with a full hour devoted to the Caps .The Washington Capitals is the best thing Dc has going on now.I find it hard to believe after the season the Caps just had no one has thought about a talk show for the caps . A talk show from 4-7 based on the Caps durning the season would enite a bigger fan listening base .Listening to Al KoKen before a caps game breaking down the visiting team against our caps would be worth listening to.... My Line up

Al Koken - Caps
Brain Mitchell & Doc Walker - Redskins

Now you can use Lavar for the Nationals because loser's like to hang togather . Lavar is not that good .

John Tompson - wizards

We need more reporting on our local college teams . We need more reporting on our local high school teams also.

Posted by: terryreece | July 9, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Bring back "Kiley and the Coach." That was the best DC sportstalk show EVER.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Please don't give Kornheiser a slot. He is an arrogant elitist and a mass of contradictions. Here is a guy who makes a great deal of money and had the gall to ask listeners to chip in and buy him new golf equipment. What a jerk!

Posted by: chopin224 | July 9, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for satellite radio. I get all the sports I want without any of the local talentless taint. Viva NHL Home Ice.

Posted by: 415M | July 9, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

LaVar? Seriously? What is he going to have to say that's interesting beyond a week of Redskin bashing?

He was almost unwatchable when he did Redskins Postgame Live on CSN.

Posted by: D87DG | July 9, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Looking at WJFK's lineup: No baseball knowledge; no hockey knowledge; no pro basketball knowledge. Why in God's name would they just replicate WTEM? There IS a niche in this town for intelligent sportstalk on things other than the Redskins and Maryland basketball. Why these idiotic suits don't recognize that is beyond me.......

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

THE D O C is the best local commentator in DC and he does east coast reporting outside of DC area to verify his success as a broadcaster. No need to hear from the geeks on the message boards.

As for the change, anything that challenges the Danny is good to me. As a Raven's fan I'd like to hear more about a regional team that's well run, goes to the playoffs and treats it's fans like they matter instead of all the redskins dribble. listening in on that 3 ring circus can only keep my attention for so long. Let the local va and md fans hear about a team and game experience that BLOWS AWAY the SKINS experience driven by belt buckle boy!

Posted by: jdb70 | July 9, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdb70 | July 9, 2009 1:11 PM

Jdb70 said it perfectly. Doc does national and regionally televised commentary on Raycom and FSN. He can be found all over the place in the business. He's an intelligent analyst, but it sounds like his commentary is probably too smart for some folks out there. If he's talking over your head TheDubb, that's your problem not his.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 9, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bagace | July 8, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Because nobody really likes hockey that much in this town. You start doing a lot of hockey talk and the majority of people are going to change the station!! This is a Redskin town and all the Caps fans should just get over it enjoy your team and Ovie!

Posted by: wstclair | July 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

keep kornheiser on the sidelines, Pollin can join him.

Get jerry coleman's show or entice him back to DC. his baltimore show on 1370 is the most intelligent in the market. multiple writers, great guests.

Posted by: jwzephyr | July 9, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Where's Brian Mitchell in this WJFK mix? Hopefully we can get some objective views on the Redskins. Hopefully now the on-air personalities can talk freely and honestly about the Redskins without fear of getting fired.

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | July 9, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and where's Al Koken?

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | July 9, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't use Doc Walker's "Experience" as a commentator for Raycom as evidence of how good he is. Have you ever heard him call a game? It's outright painful.

There's a reason he's on the Noon games for Raycom, regularly calling the epic matchup between Duke and UVA.

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 9, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Santana and O'Meara would do a solid Caps show.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 9, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | July 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

then wstclair, i suggest you keep your dial locked on am 980 cause thats the attitude they have and thats why they have 6K listeners. then when they try and do talk hockey when the caps are dominating the sports scene, they sound like morons. no doubt any sports talk in this town has to focus more on the skins than any other team, but not 75% particularly in april/may/june when the skins are pretty dormant and the caps (and maybe the wiz) are in the playoffs and generating excitement.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 9, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Wstclair, why such hostility towards Caps Fans? Many of us are also life-long Redskins fans too, but - news flash - it's a different sport. Besides, they're done in January, just when hockey season is beginning to heat up. You've got Danny's station for 'Skins coverage 80% of the time, the remaining 20% for Wizards and Maryland Basketball. JFK should have fit Koken into their lineup.

With the Caps selling out all their playoff games last season, all their season tickets gone for next season, even the POTUS showing support, I think this town can handle more than one sports team, especially one as exciting as the Caps.

Posted by: bagace | July 9, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll now switch my ire from Doc to Czaban. I used to think Czaban was clever. Now, when I listen to him on XM, I get annoyed. Too many stupid sound effects, too many time outs for ads from Scott Lynn, too many gimmicks like the calls from truckers. The biggest one, for me, is the repetition of game scores and which MLB'ers hit home runs. They know darn well we don't go to bed without watching Sports Center and then start our days watching it again. We already know the scores and homer rolls! At least, more so than Doc of course, Czaban is speaking clearly. I will give him this. His show is many times better than those two Mike + Mike clowns on ESPN Radio. More painful than listening to Doc provide color for RayCom.

Posted by: TheDubb | July 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Arg... like so many said, SAD SAD day and RIP WJFK...

My only hope is that Don & Mike will reform and KICK JFK's BUTT. Not like it will take a whole lot to win that war.

Btw, real skins fans are Lavar haters. Poor Chad to be saddled with the ignorant big-mouth psycho.

Posted by: PDSway | July 9, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

wstclair sounds like Andy Pollin. Message to Wstclair: things ARE changing in the DC sports market. The Redskins are still top banana but by much less than they used to be. That is due to constant mediocrity and near universal hatred of Snyder. I'm a lifelong Redskins fan. But facts are facts. Meanwhile, baseball has arrived and the Caps have the biggest superstar and the hottest sports team in town. And DC has always been a b-ball town. The Wiz will be much better this season. Not to mention that there are many alternatives around these days, like satellite radio, streaming radio on p.c.'s etc. Any local station that thinks this is 1983 and believes that they can get by covering the Redskins and nothing else is in for a rude awakening.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 9, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Lavar use to do his call in to the John Thompson show and that was the worst call in ever. I don't get the sense he has much of a personality and sure can't see how he'll mix with Chad Dukes. I'll miss the Mike Omeara Show, hope he lands on satellite.

Also, Doc Walker is BORING

Posted by: JohnnyIdaho1978 | July 9, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Can they get Oscar to cover DC United Soccer games for the Station?
Drab and Sven Lloyd can cover the DC Diva and Mystic games.

Posted by: G20FdaCowboys | July 9, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | July 9, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone who comments on these blogs have an IQ above a toaster??? A) Brian Mitchell is in Philly doing Philly radio. B) he did not get fired bc he "spoke freely about the Redskins" he got fired because he was not good at what he did. He was not a good analyst, created far too many controversies, and was disliked by the vast majority of listeners. That's why he got fired. C) Steve Czaban has not curtailed any of his Redskins criticisms over the past year and yet he still has a job at 980. How does that fit with your idiotic conspiracy theory?

Posted by: Barno1 | July 9, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I like to keep hope alive and believe there is a future for local sports radio in the DC area. I'll try to reserve judgment, but this looks like more of the same. The racing shows that come on early on the weekends are pretty good and cover a lot. That is one thing that doesn't need anything locally dedicated to it although hosts shouldn't be afraid to talk about it. NFL, MLB, and NBA easily deserve regular local coverage. NHL at least deserves regular seasonal coverage and soccer should receive broad regular coverage. College basketball and football deserve regular attention as well. I don't see anyone on that lineup who can do more than two of those intelligently and that is leaving out high school, most collegiate athletics, minor league, Olympic sports or anything else local sports radio in every small and large market in this country does.

Posted by: sitruc | July 10, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Hear that? that's the sucking sound of all the other stations sucking up former WJFK listeners.....

Posted by: rhaskell | July 10, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

This stinks. JFK was the only station worth listening to in this town. With the "Sports" being put back in the "Sports Junkies" hopefully they'll let Lurch talk about baseball some more as well as other topics and that it doesn't just become 4 hrs of EB ranting about the Skins year round; right now that's just limited to the fall.

Pretty smart switching formats to sports talk in the worst sports market in the country.

Posted by: dugly2ugly | July 10, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

WJFK needs Al Koken. He is one of the few host in this area that knows about more than one sport. Maybe Dukes (NFL), LaVar (NFL) and Al (NFL, NLH, NBA, MLB, etc.).

Also, anything is better than Andy Pollin. I've never understood a "Sports Reporter" who seems to hate sports (other than the Skins, who sign his checks).

Posted by: brihobbs | July 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Right now the DC radio dial can be lumped into groups: iPod Shuffle, syndicated politics, sports (read: Redskins), and WJFK. It was the last of a dying breed, people allowed to talk about whatever they wanted to talk about, not constricted by some pre-conceived format. Year ago there were two such stations in the country. The one on the West Coast shut down, and now the last one here in DC is going. I suppose we should be happy that it was around as long as it was, but to just pull the rug out from under loyal fans, and to even deny their trademark (and syndicated) star a farewell show by doing the switch during his vacation? Classless. Pure and simple.

And who's the first person that they ally themselves with? To try and distinguish their channel from Snyder's Redskins Radio? A Redskin. Seriously, this isn't going to be about sports, this is going to be another all-Redskins all-the-time station. If anything they might distinguish themselves by bashing the Skins all the time instead of praising them, but it's the same thing in the end. Isn't there enough of that in this town?

I hope Mike lands somewhere, I mean, he's still got his other stations that feed his show. I hope Oscar Santana lands somewhere (seriously, that sucks, to be the half of the show canned). Maybe the same somewhere as Mike. I've always enjoyed their interplay when they're in a studio at the same time.

Or maybe Mike will retire, which would also be a shame, but he's deserved it at this point.

But seriously. I am never listening to a CBS owned radio station again. Anyone have the full list so I can make sure my radio dial is completely purged when this move is finalized?

And I hope DCRTV is happy, since he's been cheer leading this for a year now. Always did have it in for big bad Mike O'Meara.

Posted by: thurdl01 | July 10, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Its a shame. We'll see how it works out keeping some of the WJFK line up intact. Any word if Drab will be producing the afternoon show? It will be great to keep as many people as possible in the mix. And Drab does know sports pretty damn well himself.

Posted by: varaujo | July 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I Never liked the Big O and Dukes at all. Mike was never the same without Don. Sad.

980 is really going to struggle with Sheehan. The guy is really, really pompous. He needs to either be fired or paired with someone in there. Why the station wouldn't consider moving Knocke, or even Loverro in there is besides me.

Arrington will be a disaster. He'll lose interest in the show early and it'll get repetitive. Guys with that kind of cash in the bank won't work at the show day in, day out. The skins only play 16 games!

Posted by: ccollins3 | July 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ccollins3 | July 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Agree on Sheehan, disagree on Arrington. Sheehan has been incredibly pompous ever since he stopped being teamed with Riggo--who he always deferred to.

Arrington will be great. Fans will appreciate a former redskins great who doesn't use his microphone to trash the team he once played for.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 10, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This is terrible news. My radio always stays tuned to 106.7, but not anymore. WJFK had such a great thing going with three live and local shows that go well together, and that actually promote each other, because they legitimately like each other! That's something you can't find anywhere else in the country. I'll continue listening to the Junkies in the morning regardless, but I don't think I'll be tuning in to Wise/Rohland or Dukes/Arrington.

Real curious to see how or if the Junks will address this Monday morning. Also wonder if their homegrown PD Chris Kinard is out.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 11, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Junkies in the AM
Riggo and Tony K @10-2
Wise and whoever @2-6
Nuff said. . .

Posted by: mightybaker | July 13, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Feinstein is a great thought EJHarrisJR... I'm def digging that. Put him with Wise @2-6... that's $$$ radio...

Posted by: mightybaker | July 13, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

WHY FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like to thank (Mike, Robb, Buzz, Ba, Oscar and Drab for making "My personal Groundhog day" a little better....good luck to all of you.....

Posted by: Midlandmayhem | July 13, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

EPIC FAIL Michael Hughes.

Big O and Dukes was the best show on your pathetic station and you go and break them up. Grats on losing thousands of listeners. I hope 10800 Main Street burns to the ground.

Posted by: madcoder | July 14, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Way to go WJFK, you just lost a listener. I never turned my radio station off of 106.7 before but I am now deleting it in my car radio. Big O and Dukes was the best show you had and you wasted the chance to have them become your flagship show for the next 20 years. Good luck Chad and I hope you fail Arrington and the rest of WJFK.

Posted by: philqb2 | July 14, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, who was the cranium that bowed to the cash money and allowed this to happen? This is such a mistake, the Dc area looses a UNIQUE and great lineup for mediocore sports garbage that anyone can listen to over the AM airwaves. CBS and WJFK executives are corrupt and deserve to be castrated. Enjoy your cursed money clowns!

Posted by: dinsain1 | July 14, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

HA! So long JFK, another in a long line of stations that killed the goose that laid the golden egg... Howard Stern.

The corporate idiots that patted themselves on the back when the money was pouring in, and claimed that they knew how to make successful radio obviously didn't know anything. Everyone in radio, including Don and Mike sat back with their fat contracts saying that Howard was nothing to their stations, and made light of his move to Sirius. Now it's fun to see them all scramble and try anything to make money. Advertising is down, line-ups keep changing, and it all isn't working.

They had what they needed to make the money they were accustomed to, they were just too arrogant to realize it. So long JFK, enjoy your fire-sale.

Posted by: SirDinadan | July 15, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I CANT stand Mike and Mike in the morning. what a horrible mistake by 980 to go to them. I just hope the Junkies go back to being the sports junkies and give us all what we need. Local sports coverage in the morning. 980 will be another Dan Failure.

Posted by: tony28 | July 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

This is a complete disaster. Arrington is a complete disaster. He can barely speak! It hurt me to watch him on CSN covering the Redskins. He is stupid, and he simply cannot formulate a sentence, much less put together any sort of useful sport analysis! FFS! This is horrible... I might keep listening to the Junkies, but I wont even think about tuning in to the rest of the shows.

Posted by: coryvstheworld | July 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least the 10 people that listen to sports talk radio on a regular basis will get what they want. Should be cheap to produce, so maybe they'll make a profit.

Posted by: Sneeje | July 15, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Here's my first contribution to the all-sports format, some good old-fashioned sports talkery:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rupe33 | July 15, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Just Great. Way to JFK and Michael Hughes. Yet another reason to listen to satellite radio you idiots. The junkies are what you keep? They should be the first to go....they blow and so do you. DC is now officially devoid of any decent radio in the entire area.

Posted by: flyfsn | July 15, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse