Redskins, Tiger Woods and Jessica Simpson

There were a lot of famous people in a very small stretch of real estate during this morning's opening ceremony at the Tiger Tourney. Of the people you care about, I'll list Tiger Woods, Bruce Boudreau, Jason Campbell, Antwaan Randle El, Rock Cartwright, Shaun Suisham, Leon Harris, Jessica Simpson, and I believe Mrs. Tiger.

"I'd like to acknowledge what may be the biggest act of bravery I've seen this week," said Harris, the emcee, while introducing Romo to a few cheers and many more boos. Then he introduced "our leader of Redskins Nation," which turned out to be Campbell, who got a roar, louder than any for Tiger Woods, by my ears. So at least that happened.

Tiger took the mic eventually, and referred to his thrilling duel from the tips with Romo, whom he gave two strokes and from whom he took a few ducats.

"I had the pleasure of playing Tony Romo today," Tiger said after the round. "Added to my spending fund, which was nice."

Romo had used up his two strokes by the turn, and while one of their playing partners suggested that they renegotiate (no, not Congressman John Boehner, who was wearing shorts and a bronze-medal tan; the other guy), they just kept on blasting away. Romo did manage at least one ironic fist pump while shouting "Come on!" which made Tiger smirk.

"We have a couple mutual friends so we had a little side bet going there," Romo said after the round. "He won the bet."

(Boehner, by the way, swings right-handed but putts left-handed, with his body facing the hole. It's bizarre.)

(Some wise soul managed to write "Go Redskins" in Romo's yardage book, which was one of the better moments of the day. The best, though, was the guy in the Art Monk hat standing directly behind Romo on the 7th tee. "Hit it like it's December," the guy said. That guy deserves an award. So does the guy following them around for nine holes wearing the "Dallas Sucks" t-shirt.)

As for the Skins golf, I'll write more later, but Campbell and Randle El weren't exactly fair competition for Tony Romo. I'll let Rock Cartwright speak about, say, Campbell.

"He stinks," Cartwright said. And how about Randle El?

"He stinks too."

Suisham was more diplomatic, when asked about Campbell.

"He seemed to enjoy himself," the kicker said with a wink.

And Randle El?

"He looked like he was having fun," Suisham said, with another wink.

Jessica Simpson sang the National Anthem and then eventually left the first green before any of her body parts managed to escape, but I did ask her whether she saw any Skins fans around.

"Oh, I heard them," she said. "I heard them."

Boudreau, meantime, delivered signed Alex Ovechkin jerseys to both Tiger Woods and his playing partner, Mike Weir. No word if Woods tried to trade his in for a Crosby.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 1, 2009; 12:38 PM ET
Categories:  Golf , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Previewing Tony Romo and the Congressional Boos
Next: Cowboys Fans Descend on Congressional

Comments

Go Tiger

Posted by: lpgaithersburg | July 1, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Jeanie Jones would've much preferred Mya to sing the National Anthem.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | July 1, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Starter hat? Really?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 1, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Starter signed an exclusive endorsement agreement with Tony Romo this year.

Posted by: visionary1 | July 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

It is still utterly ridiculous that Tiger played with Romo in DC. I know it is his tournament but c'mon Tiger. You are in 'skins country and you play with the star of our most hated rival? Pretty lame. It doesn't take away from everything Tiger has done for golf and for education, which I love, but it is definitely disappointing.

Posted by: kevinchaikin | July 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Tony Romo isn't welcome here.

Posted by: timdoyle8 | July 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So why did Tiger play with Romo anyway? Who chooses your celeb/amateur partner?

Posted by: richs91 | July 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys and ROMO suck!!!!!!!1

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | July 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Do golf tournaments usually have someone sing the National Anthem? Doesn't that seem bizarre?

And Romo sucks, I cant wait for the late December game at FedEx

Posted by: jpfterps | July 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

This is a pretty cool event. Always exciting to have tiger in town, doesn't hurt he always brings in some celebrities with him. Cool little clip on comcast sportsnet of tiger deciding why he wanted to play with romo and how dc was going to treat him

Posted by: joshclearfield | July 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Starter sucks!

Posted by: Danbauchi1 | July 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Man, Romo is wearing Starter everywhere...
every interview, every event. I hope they paid him well...starter was so 1990.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | July 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

There is a reason why Romo played with Tiger, because all of the Redskins suck @ golf. I am a huge Redskin fan, but if I were Tiger(the most admired athlete in the world) and I was hosting my only tournament, I would pick Romo too. He is the best golfer in the sports industry(not counting golf of course) and it is good to see him play with Tiger. Plus it also brought Jessica Simpson. She maybe a little over weight, but she is still hot!

Posted by: Justwantasuprebowl | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Starter was like, so 1996.

Posted by: ChrisinSS | July 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah, forget Romo, how was Boudreau?

Posted by: Liebercreep | July 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Why would you want a celebrity with local roots at the event and singing the national anthem, StetSportsBlog? Why pay attention to the demographics of the area when you can have a Texas girl?

I have no problem with how Simpson looks now and she probably looks better now than she did before, but it's still surprising to see how much weight she has put on.

Posted by: sitruc | July 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

John Boehner and Jessica Simpson use the same spray-on tan cream.

Posted by: emrj | July 2, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

People take sports WAAAAAAY too seriously. People asking "How could he invite a Cowboy to DC"? Are you freaking kidding me? It is for charity, who cares who they invite! Grow up, people! And Jessica looks lovely. There are many different ways to be beautiful, and she is gorgeous whether she fits what is typically idolized or not. Her singing on the other hand...that I can do without! ;)

Posted by: chandler02 | July 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse