Rob Dibble on the Nats: "It's Pathetic"

Rob Dibble keeps talking, and I keep typing.

You won't often hear the home team's official broadcaster say things like this: "This isn't a Major League baseball team I'm watching out here....It's pathetic. I've never seen a team that is ok with losing....Some guys are mailing it in, and it's hard to watch."

That's as harsh an indictment as an ex-player (who refers to himself as part of this organization) can level. After the Nats lost this game to the Astros, a grim-looking Ray Knight back in D.C. said he wanted to talk to Dibble, to understand what he meant by this charge. And Dibble, checking in with MASN's post-game Nats Xtra show, blistered the cameras.

"Well, I've seen it all year," Dibble said. "You have a team that came off a 102-loss season....Guys just aren't getting to balls, they're not trying, they're not diving, and more importantly, guys aren't calling them out....

"Listen, our guys aren't doing as well as the other team," Dibble continued. "They need to be playing a lot harder than they are. What I'm saying is, it's not so much mailing it in physically, but mentally, some of these guys, they're happy after a ball game when they get their butts whipped, they're happy and smiling like it's funny when they're getting beat in day in and day out and embarrassed on that field. I know Manny Acta and I know these coaches are busting their butts to get the most out of these guys, but the players, they don't expect that out of each other in that locker room. That's what I'm saying.

"Somebody needs to point a finger in there and say, 'Enough's enough. You guys are on my team, you've got to go out there and back me up.' John Lannan deserved better out of his bullpen, he deserves better defensively, and he definitely damn well deserves better offensively after what he's done the last six outings on a bad ballclub....So for me to watch a guy like John Lannan, who I think has a huge heart, and he goes out there, he never mails it in, I think there's a lot of guys who should apologize to him."

And with this, Ray Knight decided to join in.

"You know what I would do? I'd clean house," Knight said. "When guys don't make plays defensively I'd sit em on the bench. I'd give a guy a chance to play. And I'm talking about for a week, I don't care if you're hitting .320, I don't care what you're doing, I'm tired of seeing it too. We're just two former players that busted our butts, and we're here working for a company that you expect a fine product.

"I don't know who exactly you're feeling it about. I'm feeling it about certain people. But Manny has to make that decisions, or [Mike] Rizzo. If you think that there's a player out there not defining the position....Take shortstop. Balls are going up the middle, knocked down, erratic type play. It looks like, to me, Goozie's mind is somewhere else. He's the guy I'm most disappointed in."

"When you have close to 90 errors already at you're at the All-Star break?" Dibble asked rhetorically. "Come on, Ray. I mean, there's something wrong there. It's not the coaching staff. The players need to police themselves....You've got below a .300 winning percentage on this ballclub. So something's got to be done within the clubhouse, but it's got to be the players that do it....

"If Josh [Willingham] were to go in there and just get in some faces, I think these guys would play a little bit harder, but it's got to be done within that team, and I think there's only so much the manager and the coaching staff can do. The players have to take it from here."

"Well," Johnny Holliday said, back in the studio, while staring around at the carnage left behind on the MASN set. "Good discussion."

(Screengrab via Awful Announcing)

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 9, 2009; 11:33 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rob Dibble's Posterior Tattoo
Next: Morning Bog: Earl Weaver's Philosophy and Dmitri's Belly

Comments

Elijah Dukes would get in some faces, and/or rip them off.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | July 10, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Come on guys, wake up!! Day-in, day-out, its the SAME results..losing...in so many variety of ways to lose....I can't anymore bear to watch "live"on cable-TV...only the boxscores frm time to time, knowing fully that we will lose in the late innings due to poor relief pitching...frustrating the starting pitchers who usually leave with a chance to win or are winning...Yes, changes have to be made...eliminate the "deadwoods"...the Owners should not hesitate to spend money to get a good product...the profits will come only if the fans get the team they can root for...
I've never seen a team of this "kind" since I became a fan wy back in 1948....simply awful...and feel sad for the organization..."Hope Springs Eternal"..and I haven't given up HOPE that we can turn it around sooner than later...but let's start NOW.....Attn. to Mgt. and the Owners!!

Posted by: fbacolod29 | July 10, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

In most cities there would have been hundreds of posts and thousands of calls to sports talk radio calling for heads as bad as the N*ts are. Instead, we get "best of's" on the radio and 2 posts in two hours calling out the team. Maybe DC just isn't ready for prime time baseball. And maybe the owners should just up and sell to a market which cares about the game. Maybe Las Vegas or Portland or Knoxville or Nashville. DC doesn't deserve this debacle. They don't even care.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 10, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

"In most cities there would have been hundreds of posts and thousands of calls to sports talk radio calling for heads as bad as the N*ts are. Instead, we get "best of's" on the radio and 2 posts in two hours calling out the team. Maybe DC just isn't ready for prime time baseball"
___________________

Complete and utter nonsense. Washington hasn't had a contender since 1945 (with oly two inning seasons since then, 1952 and 1969) and was left without a team for half that span. Add both inept ownership and an organization pillaged by both Jeffrey Loria and MLB, and you have a recipe for disaster. No market -- not Philadelphia, St. Louis or Boston -- could thrive under generations of hopelessness, where maningful September baseball is something for other towns to experience.

Furthermore, it doesn't help that the only so-called "sports" station in town is owned by someone who wants to make all Washington sports teams other than his own afterthoughts. This is where WJFK can come in handy, to provide an outlet for fans to vent, just like Dibble.

To those who think Washington can't support good baseball (the lfeeting mirage of 2005 proved that it can), all I can say is: You people are ignorant.

Posted by: VPaterno | July 10, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dibble. Unfortunately for him he will be fired at the end of the year for being critical of the team, which is unfortunate because I like him, he's the only reason to listen to the damn game.

To Jay, this team is locked up here for 30 years, they aren't going anywhere and they are a profitable team believe it or not. Heck they get over $25M from MASN for the TV rights, that almost covers payroll alone.

I firmly believe that for the Lerners making money is more important than fielding a winning team, otherwise they would have done so by now.

Posted by: kthhken | July 10, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

What's pretty amazing is that most Nats fans (myself included) dreaded Dibble's arrival as color guy - now he's proven to be one of the very few things worth a damn in the organization. He won't be fired - though he may walk for a job with a real team/network. His candor, humor and way that he's absorbed himself into the team and fanbase have been a shock to me.

Sorry if that's a bit too much slurping - but he's done a great job. And this kind of outspokennes from a former player might actually change the culture of the club a little bit - even from the tv booth. Hope he's here for awhile.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 10, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

There is ZERO chance Dibble will be fired. Whoever said that, good god please get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | July 10, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg we get it . . . . . the Nationals aren't a great team. Now move along and start posting about how crappy the Wizards still are and the fact that the Caps can't get past the first round.

Nobody likes your negative Nationals crappy coverage and we already know our team is bad. Enough with the tired and played out material "wow the Nats are bad".

Posted by: djmichaels | July 10, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

And I love how you failed to mention that the Nats won the first game of the night? But of course you won't, you are always thinking in a negative light.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 10, 2009 4:08 AM | Report abuse

Uhh, DJ, the Caps went to the second round this year. Just saying. If you wanna insult someone at least get your facts straight.

I caught some of Dibble's rant. It was a good one. I hope Manny pulls the tape and leaves in playing on a loop in the clubhouse.

Posted by: EricS2 | July 10, 2009 4:23 AM | Report abuse

Its a bad team...the farm system has produced zero players in the field outside of Zimmerman...there is no defense at short...no punch at second...very little defense or punch at catcher...left field is a liability and despite 40 homes and 100 rbi's - he strikes out too much and doesn't advance runners. the bullpen is awful...its a lousy team played by a bunch of guys who realize it and are playing out the string.

Posted by: outrbnksm | July 10, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

This is not news Dan. Many of us have been seeing these issues for over a year. Rob and Ray saying it brings some light on it but it is not new. One thing I disagree with them on is Manny. Acta has become a huge part of the problem. He is the face of losing and once the front office decided he could stay and lose every night the team decided why not them too? This is much like Jimbo now.....it is going to take the FBI and a scandal to get Lerner and Stan to admit they are in charge of a farce of a baseball operations and that is months away.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 10, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

@ DJ
"Steinberg we get it . . . . . the Nationals aren't a great team. Now move along..."

I agree. the nats fail campaign is annoying. the bog all driven by traffic though. so if we dont want more stuff like this, we just have to ignore the posts. unfortunately, some haters do actually enjoy the bogs anti-nats bias and keep clicking away...

Anyway, when an informed former player defends the much maligned manager and calls out the players (since apparently no one in the clubhouse is doing it) it is noteworthy. Kinda reminds me of the Gibbs era skins. too many nice guys and not enough winners.

Posted by: BigNasty | July 10, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigNasty

I think you mean the Gibbs part DEUX era. I hope.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 10, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Why are you guys so hard on Dan about the nats? How are you suppose to write about positive things about this team? This team will be good in the future and even he admits that, and will be right there with them. Dibble is one of the best things thats happened to the nationals, and he's worthy of getting on the blog. He's one of the only reasons I watch the games night in and night out, because it sure isnt the product I'm watching.

Also, dan did mention the "win" last night in his last post. So don't come on here with an angry rant and not know your facts. You want him to report about teams that are not even in season. The nationals are the only one of the "major four" sports playing right now. Have a sense of humor and laugh at yourself (or your team) right now. It's hardly possible to write about good things about the nats this year, but I truly (and I believe dan does too) believe things will get better in the near future

Posted by: SkinsWizStangs | July 10, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I've never been a big fan of his and that goes back to when he was on ESPN Radio but I agree 100 % with what Dibble said last night. I watch and some nights it's as if this team just doesn't give a damn.

Unfortunately it's going to take another season to clean up the mess Jim Bowden made.

Posted by: bbride1 | July 10, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Nah, this isn't a "Nats fail" piece, its a "hyper broadcaster gets really wound up about how bad things are post." I'm as big a Nats homer as anybody and I don't see Steinz picking on the team, just passing along an interesting evening of broadcasting.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | July 10, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't see this as a "fail" piece, either. And I've been known to gripe a bit about fail pieces. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey if the nats want to give me $50 to walk down to the stadium and kick Guz in the nuts I would do it.

You don't like the "Nats Fail" campaign. Make sure the team stops F***ing up! Throw some sodas at the dugout.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 10, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

djmichaels,

what the H are you talking about? it's either this kind of coverage or nothing for this team. gimme a break.

Posted by: SadieV | July 10, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have the audio to that rave out?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 10, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

VPaterno - I am with you homey! The ignoramus' who believe Washington can't support a team are just repeating tired drivel that is not based in the actual facts on the ground. Is it possible to ban those retreads from posting? There comments are so 2004.....

If Guzman had issues with Dibble or even Knight he is probably too chicken to do anything about it as he knows Dibble and probably Knight would go crazy guy on him and just whup his butt.

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 10, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Alex, post-game recap and other videos are here:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Gonna go with other posters and say that "Nat's fail" has officially jumped the shark. Too bad there aren't any other DC sports going on to rip on. I'm aware the WNBA is going on, I'll consider it a sport when they stop hanging attendance champion banners in my sports arena.

Posted by: futbolclif | July 10, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Thx,

Jay!

I care Jay...go screw your self.

Posted by: Cartaldo | July 10, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Natsfan1, well soccer is going on techniclly. Dan can we get a stadium story?

Posted by: alex35332 | July 10, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Team is a joke,top to bottom. Maybe Rizzo can do something,but,it'll takes years to fix this team. They get worse every year. A big shout out to The Lerners,Jim Bowden and Stan the Plan Man for dragging such a promising start down to the depths of who cares anymore.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 10, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Also, re. there being only two posts in two hours, (1) that comment was posted at 1:40 a.m. and (2) the Bog is not a Nats-specific blog - you'll tend to find more posts about the team at Nationals Journal and other non-Post, Nats-related blogs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

What a wonderful rant! I got tired of watching our bad news bears and had fallen asleep by then so I missed it, but I'm with those who find Dibble's candor and humor an excellent addition to the broadcast booth. I also completely agree with him--I'm still watching but I'm certainly not enjoying the games very often. Actually, I don't completely agree in that I think it is time for Acta to go, which I hate to say about such a nice guy. The GM needs to blow up this team (Boz is right) and the owners need to fork over the cash to build a real major league team before even hard core fans like me simply cannot bear to watch anymore.

Posted by: NatsFly | July 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This team doesn't deserve any positive press. A handful of players might, but the team deserves the treatment they are getting. Get over yourselves and quit whining about the coverage.

The Wizards? It's the friggin offseason, and they took their lumps. The Nats are awful RIGHT NOW and it's time for the team and fans to take theirs - or get better.

Posted by: tha_prophet | July 10, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Although it would be hard not to feel the way they do with all the losing but it is obvious that way too many guys are going through the motions. The bonehead plays and errors are the best example of a team that is just not concentrating.
The Nats may have blown a golden opportunity when they moved here. Caps and Skins were down and Wiz were not getting past the first round of the playoffs. The first year they finished .500 and people were catching the fever and attendance and buzz was great. They decided to let Sorianno go and so they sank to the bottom. If they had early on developed a contender then people might have followed them because they were the only winning game in town. Unless you are a die hard baseball fan, it is a very tough team to watch.

Posted by: ken111 | July 10, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

As has been said, that wasn't a "Nats fail" piece. That was a media rant and it wasn't Dan. I don't understand why some seemingly want rosy, good news from the Defense Minister all the time. The team is bad. Grow your expectations and put some serious pressure on the front office instead of allowing them to shrug off the fans and media as some sort of bad joke. It isn't the coverage that is a joke. It's the team.

Posted by: sitruc | July 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"These guys are true Nats, super smart and fighting their guts out everyday" - Coach Joe Gibbs

Posted by: tclarksmith1 | July 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd say that it's tough to watch even for the die hards, ken (but that doesn't stop me from doing so).

Re. Dibble's chatter, how about the Rockies game where Willingham homered in his first at-bat after he'd called fan interference in his attempt to field a ball. Dibble's comment as the ball was lofted into the seats: interfere with this.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Seem to be plenty of posts, mostly with good intent, and not mean like NY types. Some with great sense of humor--what else can you do? I follow lots of DC baseball sites and Twitter, I think we care about baseball, and I for one am VERY glad we have a "major-league" team here, even if they don't always play up to standard.

I was at all three games over the 4th of July weekend, and it was fun, even Friday's loss. I am not sure a lot of yelling and screaming in the clubhouse would improve this team. On this road trip they've been horrible, no denying it--though Hanrahan's win was cute-- but they are probably tired and discourage. Let's see how they do when they get back home and let's give them support.

Anyone can root for a winning team, we need to work this through and come out the other side even if it takes a few years. The weather is good, stadium is new and clean, we have funny TV guys and EXCELLENT radio guys, a lot of strange things happen, and occasionally something exciting occurs, so, go with the flow...

End of my rant.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 10, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Plus we have good writers and bloggers. If you read the AP stories they are BORING recitations of facts, Chico and the BOG and the bloggers are so creative--keep up the good work.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 10, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't Dibble will be back. Either him walking away or the Nationals firing him for being critical. But he is good on the air. I didn't like him on that sports showl, but he has been really good on the air.

Those that want to take shots at Coach Joe you can go jump in a lake. All he did was win 3 Super Bowls out of 4 and then return after a long 14 years and take the team to twice as many playoffs games as the team had in his absence. Thank you!

Posted by: punchdaclock | July 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"These guys are true Nats, dumb as rocks and going through the motions everyday. Up here, it seems like every swinging soul is just playing just for a check and the chance to get traded to a real team [disturbing chuckle]. Pray for us" - Coach Goe Jibbs

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: djmichaels | July 10, 2009 4:07 AM

DJ please read the paper more often. It might help. This blog has covered the Bullets (eh, Wizards in the last two weeks), and the Capitals did get out of the 1st round this year.

I'm sorry to have missed the rant last night, but it is not the first time Dibble has ripped the team on the air. He said when he got the job that he was going to call the game as he saw it (which is the FIRST job of any broadcast journalist), not skewer to hometown interests. We stink, we stink...say it. Don Sutton would have done the same thing...his delivery would have been different....

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | July 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

How can Dibble say it's not the coaches' fault and then go on to list instances of coaches disciplining guys?

Piniella/Bradley
Manuel/Rollins

There might have been another one in there I forgot. He is putting it all on the players to hold each other accountable. That's fine. But it is also on Manny too. If the players aren't going to do it, Manny has to. Or Manny should do it before the players have to. I dont know why Dibble goes out of his way to exonerate Manny.

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Dibble IS the best thing about watching the broadcasts. But when the relievers opened the flood gates, I turned to something else last night so I missed his rant. That's Ok , I get the jist of it here. I had been waiting for baseball to come back to DC for 33 years and when it did I thought that given the way MLB screwed this franchise, they did fairly well. But Robbie was the manager and he would not stand for this crap that passes for team play now. If Frank was willing to stay here, they should have kept him. I am going to keep watching. But when they once again look like the Keystone Kops playing baseball, I will find a show on one of the Science and Nature channels. Luckily for me, the one game I went to this year they won!

Posted by: chopin224 | July 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

>Anyway, when an informed former player defends the much maligned manager and calls out the players

Acta's gotten a free pass. There have only been a couple of teams the last 150 years that have played this badly. And guess what - all of the managers got fired. A major league team can't be that bad statistically unless they have help from the manager. It's never happened, and if you think ol stoneface simpleton Acta is the one to buck the trend, you need to lay off the koolaid. Acta's the reason nobody shows up to the park. People aren't stupid, they hear his press conferences where the only thing he does is point fingers, but since he's so 'nice' it may be difficult see what he's actually doing. Like not taking responsibility. His retention is starting to put Kasten in a scary light - he's trying to prove to people that he won't fire Manny unless it's 'his' decision. Of course the players are dogging it - they're 34 games under .500. What's the point? Most of the guys that are cast off from the Nats go on to other teams anyway - it's not like they've played their way out of a job - the talent evaluators know they have value.

Posted by: Brue | July 10, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Here is the attitude of a lot of people in DC towards major league baseball:

You allow the SECOND incarnation of the Senators pack up and move to Texas after being in town less than 15 years and yet THEN prevent the Pirates, Giants, Astros, Padres and a host of others to move over the next 25 years.

The Expos by the late 1990's/early 2000's have an owner who admits the team can't stay in business in Montreal.

You then wait another 5 plus years to move the team to the only top 10-15 media market in the country without a team, Washington, after flirting with boom or bust Las Vegas and Salt Lake City as the alternatives. No slap on LV or SLC but hey those towns ain't the capital of the country.

When the team does arrive the outgoing GM Omar Minaya has traded away ALL of the best prospects in the organization and most of the solid players on the parent club as well.

So, Washington is handed a team that finishes decently its first season but then has no farm system and no tradeable assets (as the Orioles had with Tejada and Erik Bedard) to try and rebuild quickly.

On top of all that you pick an ownership group with no prior sports or entertainment experience and one known for making money by bare-knuckling competitors in the real estate development game.

Could the immediate end result have been anything other than a team that quickly slid downhill and then refused to spend the money to bridge the gap to a new generation of players that were being drafted and developed in the minors?

In DC people talk with their feet.

While interest was generated in Year 1 and heading into Year 2, the quick descent of the team with no bottom in sight had people running for the exits.

So, that's the baseball scene here in DC, whether the Lerners or national media writers want to admit it or not.

We were given a shoddy product stripped of all its former assets and then moved into a new stadium where prices went up in some cases 50-75% for seats.

My entertainment dollars?

Hey, I am going to watch the Caps and give them some love after all the RIGHT moves the organization has made over the past 4-5 years to rebuild the way a true contender does, with an owner that understands the need to entertain while building.

Posted by: leopard09 | July 10, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Last nite's episode of Dibs Gone Wild (aka "It's Pathetic) was the best ever!

during this epic tirade, stan kasten vomited into a bedside trash can, debi taylor had to resuscitate bob carpenter using an automated external defibrillator machine outside the press box of minute maid park, the ghost of johnny holliday smoked an extra pack of pall malls and mark lerner, busy figuring out how to try to raise office rents in tysons corner despite a down economy, was overhead mumbling "i didn't even know there was a game on tonight."

Posted by: DCPowerGator | July 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Dibble = the Voice of the Fans.

He says, what we post on message boards.

go figure.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 10, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Brue,

Felipe Lopez has at least played himself back to respectability.

Let's see what Milledge and Hanrahan do.

I wouldnt be surprised to see one of them become the player we hoped they would be now that they are out of this suck

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 10, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Speaking as someone who has tangled with Dan about Nats coverage in the past: this stuff is great, Dan, please keep it up. The Nats are the worst team in baseball and are wrapping up a first half that has been historically and epically bad. This is the kind of coverage a team like the Nats deserves. And it is much better than no coverage at all.

On the other hand, I do think that Dan's "Nats Fail" schtick has gotten a bit tired.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | July 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Dibble and Knight are spot on. However, they are giving too much of a 'free pass' to Acta. It is his job to make sure everyone is playing hard. He isn't doing it. Why does this media give Acta such leeway? He has to take a lot of responsibility for the situation and he doesn't do it. He acts like it is out of his control.

Posted by: Wallpass | July 10, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I dont get tired of the "Nats Fail" stuff. This team needs to be embarassed in to not being an embarassment at this point. That probably might not even work because Ted Lerner doesnt know how to use computers and Mark Lerner is probably an incompetent, illiterate dolt given a job by daddy

Posted by: makplan20002 | July 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If the Drays and Marlins can do it the Nats can. The owners may want to follow previous models of how perrinial bad teams turn to good teams. Talk to the people who ran those marlins clubs. Find out what they did to go from bad to good.

Posted by: ged0386 | July 10, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I saw the rant, and couldn't agree more. And while I hate that it has gotten so bad that we have a "Fail" campaign, I think it's necessary. This organization, from top to bottom, needs to be ridiculed.

They suckered us into renewing our season tickets for this season, and we've got to live with that decision. But we're not renewing next year, and that's 4 seats for every home game that will go unsold. I encourage others to do the same.

You can make the argument that I should continue to support the players, because the current situation can be blamed on the management. But now that EVERYONE involved is simply mailing it in and collecting a check, I have no qualms at all about boycotting the whole thing.

I'll stay home and watch on TV, as Dibble seems to be the only one who still cares at this point. I say get him a jersey. He can't be worse than Tavares has been.

Posted by: bryc3 | July 10, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The Nats as an organization are focused on one thing, the bottom line. Pretty sure they were in the top handful of teams profit-wise last year, which is pathethic---the organization is taking in wads of cash and not doing anything significant to try to win. Having by far the worst record in baseball is fine with these guys, as long as they are turning a profit. Hopefully at some point the profit goes down as fans refuse to pay for such a poor product, I've gone from a half season plan to the 20 game plan this year and have already decided not to renew next year---why pay such high prices for a poor product, not to mention all the season ticket holders selling tickets for half price online!

Posted by: mlbfaninVA | July 10, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

>Why does this media give Acta such leeway? He has to take a lot of responsibility for the situation and he doesn't do it. He acts like it is out of his control.

He's not acting. It is out of his control. All you have to do is listen to his pressers to understand how rigid and dumb the guy is.

Posted by: Brue | July 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I as a N*ts fan was not overly thrilled when I heard Sutton was being replaced by a guy named Dibble. But I have learned to like his frank and educated opinions on what's happening with our ball club. My only gripe with Dibbles comments is that Manny is just as guilty ,if not more so than the players for the lack of enthusiasm and the 110% effort needed to be put forth in order to become a winning club.It is the managers job to get the most out of his players. If they can't give me 100% effort 100% of the time then they don't need to be on my team. One thing I hold heartily agree with Dibble on is for these guys to call themselves professionals is truly pathetic!

Posted by: sqthomas | July 10, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

2 Steps that MUST be made to begin to fix this team:

1. Trade Nick Johnson. This allows Dunn to play first. He is easier to hide at first base than he is in left or right field. This also means that Willingham can move to Left, his natural position. Dunn will still be a black hole at first, but I don't think it will be as bad. He can work on taking ground balls...but he's never going to get any faster. Willie Harris could also potentially become a permanent right fielder. That is a pretty solid defensive outfield.

2. Give Strasburg what ever Boras wants. There is no excuse to not take a chance on this kid.

The bullpen is obviously a mess. One would imagine that we could get at least one good reliever for Nick Johnson (potentially more if they are prospects). This must be fixed. But, again..i'm going to have fun with they suck, so I can have more fun when they are good.

Posted by: bizzleboy | July 10, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Even if one disagrees with Acta's managing techniques, I have to say that I don't understand it when people call him dumb, an imbecile, and so forth. English is not his native language, but he speaks it fluently. He is reportedly an avid reader. He got to where he is today having come from very humble beginnings. Doesn't sound too dumb to me.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 10, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, step out for a few minutes to go the playground with your daughter...

Look, I understand what some of you are saying about the Nats Fail stuff, and it's a fair complaint. I just happen to think that's a good gimmick that's worth riding out the rest of the season.

But that has nothing to do with this. This is a legit blog item for any team in any sport in the country, getting called out for not trying by a tv analyst who essentially works for the team. I don't think printing this was in any way controversial or unfair.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | July 10, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

@brue -

I am not defending Acta. Just saying that its newsworthy that he is being defended by someone who might have more insight than Ken Rosenthal. I do think though that it would be intersting to see what he could do with a Rizzo-created team instead of 9 corner outfielders, 13 minor leaguers and Zimm and Guzman.

@ all the people who think Dan is helping the cause by embarrasing the Nats -- dan is paid to not give a crap about the team. Unlike the skins, the nats dont give a crap about what the media is saying anyway. the message given to the nats by the fans is what is important and the message is loud and clear based on attendence and tv ratings. Rizzo has made several smart moves since he took over. Kasten put the right man in charge once the DR fiasco gave Stan the power to remove the lerner's favorite bowden. the team just has to get through this season to finish undoing the mess that jimbo created.

its just too bad that fans don't speak as loudly to the danny as they do the lerners.

Posted by: BigNasty | July 10, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Any chance of the Nationals trading a guy like John Lannan before the deadline? I wouldn't mind seeing him in a White Sox uniform.

Posted by: rapt00r | July 10, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

What would you have Dan do? He can either blog about the Nats for what they are, a piss poor team that is the laughingstock of Major League, Minor League, and oftentimes Pee Wee Baseball, or he could not report on them at all. This is BASEBALL season, not football, not hockey, not basketball. Why would he be posting any analysis on three sports that are not in session and really arent doing anything. If you dont like the Nats coverage, then tough luck. We have a terrible team and any analysis of them is going to be equally as terrible. We go out there every night and look like the Nine Stooges. The team, and subsequently the fans, should be embarrassed to the Nth degree. I know I am...

Posted by: KyminDC | July 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

As a season ticket holder, and one who has personally threatened to Stan Kasten that I would drop tickets, this season is an absolute disgrace. I remember when Frank Robinson didn't hesitate to sit Soriano's butt on the bench when he dogged a fly ball. Would Manny do that? Hell no. Go ahead Dunn and don't hustle. Same for you Dukes. Let 'em take the extra base. Horrible.

And if Manny won't police, then what incentive do the players have to police themselves? Attitude all starts at the top and Manny has to go.

I expressed to Kasten in April that there is a "culture of losing" developing and everything that has happened has told me that its not just developing but firmly entrenched. Losing is not OK and trades for some of these clowns needs to be in order.

Posted by: AMD2 | July 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's the raw footage the blog was based on. It's worth a watch.

Posted by: AMD2 | July 10, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I live and work and play in D.C. The Nationals are my baseball (I love baseball!) team. It is painful that they are not tops in their division, but they're my team. I watch the games, I go to games, I root (Charge!), I read the Bog and the Nats Journal.
It is very painful to be a fan sometimes. I think of my early years in eastern Pennsylvania, waiting for decades for the Phillies to win a Series. Finally got that one in 1980. Now we're living in D.C. But the Nats have my heart -- I can't help it. And as a fan, you don't hear me parsing their faults as though they can change overnight if they just listen to me. No, my job is to root like crazy, till I'm hoarse, to feel good on the good days and hope the bad days get better. And to always have hope. Sometimes you fans are very harsh, when you don't have a stake in the game.

Posted by: sbuck | July 11, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse