Vick Fans at Skins Camp

Just a tip to anyone in the NFL universe who wants to get on the evening news, or at least the evening blog: wear a Vick jersey and/or bring a Vick sign to training camp. And if you bring Vick a sign the size of a Hummer, so much the better.

Thus, meet Rebecca Pearson, Ian Ferri and Brian Hoysa. Rebecca's the one in the Vick Falcons jersey, Ian's the one in the Vick Hokies jersey, and Hoysa's the one with the 21 Deion Sanders shirt, signed by Fred Smoot, and converted into a DeAngelo Hall tribute.

I know, it's a lot to digest, but here's the basic message:

"I've been a Vick fan for my whole life," Hoysa said. "And I feel like he deserves a chance to play."

"He's served his time," Ferri agreed.

"Nobody's perfect," Pearson added.

Of course, there was a fourth member to this party, the guy holding the "No We Don't" sign above Hoysa's "D.C. Wants Vick" tribute. That would be Erik Pedley, at 25 nearly a decade older than the Vick fans. Pedley saw the massive sign from behind and figured it might be a boon for autographs. Then he saw the text and figured he should stick around to offer a dissenting opinion.

"Some people have been player hatin'," Hoysa admitted.

"Oh, I'll be here all day," Pedley called out.

"But I feel like Vick should know he's welcome," Hoysa continued.

"It just degrades Jason Campbell," Pedley said. "We don't need that. We don't."

Though Hoysa said they don't want Vick as a replacement to Campbell, but merely as a supplement. Anyhow, players have stopped and stared, pointed at the sign, nudged teammates to take a look and snickered. Coach Jim Zorn, of course, said the Redskins will not be signing Vick "at this juncture," but the Vick supporters argued that was a fairly vague description--"this juncture might have ended at sundown yesterday,: Hoysa pointed out. They're hoping the quarterback hears about their tribute, so he knows he has still has supporters here; in an ideal situation, maybe he would actually stop by camp. And what would happen then?

"Have you ever seen a girl at an 'N Sync concert?" Hoysa asked. "That would be my reaction."

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 30, 2009; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Flip Saunders Almost Became a Terp
Next: The Jason Taylor Presence

Comments

Steinz, will you still be writing about other sports or, with the Redskins training camp opening, are you going to join your colleagues in overcovering football to the detriment of The Post's reporting on the rest of the athletic universe?

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 30, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

i hope the answer to that is yes. I give the guy with the converted Hall jersey partial credit, but I'm pretty sure all Deion Sanders jerseys should be destroyed.

Posted by: trolly_time | July 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

dc wants Vick to be a Cowboy

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | July 30, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

way to make the news pedley

Posted by: SkinzFanToTheMAX | July 30, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

About Mike Vick, "Nobodys perfect."

Brilliant, Ms. Pearson, simply brilliant.

Posted by: skins1110 | July 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"Some people have been player hatin'," Hoysa admitted.

I believe this pretty much sums up this guys credibility.

Posted by: Gweez | July 30, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

About Mike Vick, "Nobodys perfect."

Brilliant, Ms. Pearson, simply brilliant.

Posted by: skins1110 | July 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I said the same thing about the Zodiac killer.

Posted by: Gweez | July 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

It seems pretty cruel to dress that dog up in a Mike Vick Falcons jersey. At first I thought it was supposed to be ironic, but now it is obvious that it is simply animal abuse.

Posted by: skins1110 | July 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

About Mike Vick, "Nobodys perfect."

Brilliant, Ms. Pearson, simply brilliant.

Posted by: skins1110 | July 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

She has the brains of an amoeba.

No one's asking him to be perfect Ms Pearson, just humane.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It figures, a Redskins fan who liked Deion Sanders wants them to bring in Vick. No true Redskin fan enjoyed seeing Neon Deion in a Redskins jersey. Vick will get the same treatment in DC that Deion got, a lot of boos or the silent treatment, with the boos in the majority this time.

Posted by: ssktigers | July 30, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe these bozos want to bring as many idiots to DC as possible so they can blend in better? Who's next on their list? Luring Michael Irvin out of retirement?

Posted by: FlyersSuck | July 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll keep saying it wherever there are those who think that the Skins should sign Vick. You really need to examine your priorities in life, people. I'm a lifelong Skins fan who bleeds burgundy and gold but if they sign him, that's the end. The man has not shown any signs of sincere regret for what he did and has not yet done anything concrete to show he has changed. His crimes were vicious and disgusting. That the Ravens would show interest would figure. Let him go play with Ray Lewis, they belong together.

Posted by: truke | July 30, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Charles Manson should be getting out soon. maybe the Skins should sign him too. As far as being a player hater, it is our right to do so.

Posted by: chopin224 | July 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Every Virginia Tech fan with a brain cringed after looking at this.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The paper sign in the back is the best....my sentiments exactly, and probably what I would've done if I had been unfortunate to be next to these barnos.

Posted by: fushezzi | July 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 - I know I sure did.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Of course VaTech fans are going to want to see M Vick.... the hard to read sign in the background is priceless.... NO YOU DONT! Take his legal issues out of this and look at it fro ma football standpoint. Michael Vick is not a QB. He is fast adn athletic but not a good QB. Tell me what teams want a running QB that can barely complete 50% of his passes.... nobody. I dont want to hear people say he was a two time pro-bowler because he was voted in by the fans, not by the numbers (which do not count in my book)!!

Posted by: rvanags | July 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, some people really know how to insult others over the internet. How cute.

I was born a redskins fan, not really a Vick fan and was definitely disgusted with what he's done.
But you gotta look at it this way: It's America, you get charged with whatever-go to trial-if your guilty you do your time and get out. He did his time. Is he sorry about it? Maybe.

But his job is to play football. & that's what he'll do. I just hope he doesn't get paid a ridiculous amount like the first time.

And Vick is baller football player, & we do need a boost this season...

Posted by: Cooper08 | July 30, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Nobody's perfect, no. But not everybody is out-and-out cruel either. Vick has shown himself to be an animal. Who needs him here. The circus plays well in Washington already.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | July 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about being humane when all these other athletes have done far worse (A subjective claim I admit). I honestly think that Vick came from an area where dog fighting wasn't considered a serious crime. I give Vick the ignorance excuse. People down south do things like this all the time. At the end of the day he did 2 years for killing dogs Stallworth didnt go to jail for killing a human being... Justice in America

Posted by: jtrufe | July 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Yo All these Anti Vick/ DEADskinz fanz.,......."Beware of what you wish for....because with Campbell...the PLAYOFFS are NOT an OPTION......" Get used to it !!!!

Posted by: unc1dmo | July 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rvanags | July 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, i suppose your right. He's way worse than Campbell who cant run and doesn't complete 50% of his passes anyway. I'm tired of the redskins using Campbell, I personally would much rather see Colt Brennan out there as QB but Vick would be just as good I think.
As for what he did, in America you pay your time for what you do and he did his time. There for like it or not, he's a free man who will ultimately go back to his career: football.

Posted by: Cmungo21 | July 30, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

In Amerika, you don't do your time and thats it, you carry parole, probation and a felony record around for the exact reason that you shouldn't make tons of money in a cushy job. When I got out of the pen for forgery in 92 nobody would give me a minimum wage job. He should have to start back at the bottom with everyone else.

Posted by: augustiswest | July 30, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, the guy didn't kill a human he didn't even kill any dogs! He didn't live at the house it was taking place at, im sure he probably knew it was going on but he is only guilty by association. Dog fighting has been around since the domestication of the animal and it takes place all over the world. Do I think its right no, but its not as serious as everyone has made it out to be. Maybe in most peoples white collar world nothing worse could happen but take a trip to you nearest ghetto or anywhere below the poverty line and its not that hard to find a dog fight. The man has lost everything and deserves the chance to make a living. To say he has shown no remorse it just ignorant, you have no clue what the man has shown. Get off the cruelty to animals train if you aren't going to do anything about it.

Posted by: murphyz | July 30, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Mark Sanchez never played a down in the NFL.
Jay Cutler is a young Bret Favre that will gun it but will lose you a lot of games with his high interception per touchdown ratio. The Redskins getting Vick is a no brainer. He could bring a Wildcat element lined up next to Portis who would open up some large wholes for him. This wouldn't be a slap in the face to Cambell like the other attempted moves were. If we don't get him he will end up as a Cowboy, Eagle, or Giant. You can take that to the bank. Now all of a sudden Danny doesn't want the flare. Vick YES!

Posted by: washdc11 | July 30, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse