Wizards to WJFK

With WJFK 106.7 set to turn to a sports-talk format before the end of the month, the CBS Radio-owned station has started collecting sports properties. First up were the Wizards; their games will appear on WJFK for at least the next two seasons, multiple industry sources confirmed today. WJFK remains in negotiations with other local college and professional franchises.

The Capitals have yet to sign a new radio deal; their two-year agreement with Bonneville expired after the '09 season. The Capitals and Wizards have previously shared a broadcast partner; both teams had deals with what was then WTEM 980 earlier this decade, with the Caps often being moved to other frequencies when the teams played simultaneous games.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 6, 2009; 3:34 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nyjer Morgan's Gentleman's Name
Next: Signature Calls: Buckhantz Talks "Dagger!"

Comments

Hopefully the Caps *and* Nats will both move off of the woeful WFED 1050... I'm sure someone, somewhere gets a strong signal from 1050, but so far I'm 0-for-this-lifetime. :\

Here's hoping they land on the much stronger WJFK, or even the marginally stronger WTEM.

Posted by: yatesc1 | July 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheFingerman | July 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Has WJFK officially announced this format change? As of yet, I've only seen blog posts and Tweets saying it's happening. I'm still hoping not to lose the Mike O'Meara show. And depending on when the Junkies end up on the air, I might not get to hear much of them either.

Posted by: nafspac | July 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Why would The Junkies move from morning drive? It'd be nice if they can get Kornheiser involved alongside what sounds like Mike Wise. And maybe a local airing of the Dan Patrick Show?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 6, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I check the news feeds daily on google to see what the WJFK update is and get nothing new.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

yes, more important than the sportscasts...lets find out what the talk radio lineup is going to be???

junkies
kornheiser/wise
czabe national show

thats what im hopin for...

Posted by: rtramonte5500 | July 6, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

this chenge will ruin my day no more big o and dukes? dagger! at least keep on chad dukes in some form

Posted by: keghauling | July 6, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, both the Caps and Nats are also on 1500 AM, which is still AM but does have a very strong signal (in fact, on a clear night, I've tuned in 1500 AM in South Florida.)"

Yep, I heard about Wilbon's heart attack via 1500 down in Charleston, SC, where I could just catch TK between sunspots. Still, wish it was just a little stronger when its signal gets down here. At night, 1530 from Cinci comes in like it's broadcasting from next door. 1500 isn't quite strong enough to listen to the Caps & Nats regularly, even with a Select-A-Tenna (how old is my old guy radio?).

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 6, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Agree with a previous caller who hopes for Czabe national show. I'd also love to get the junkies back to being the Sports Junkies -- i just haven't enjoyed the show since they moved from JFK the first time. Also hope to get Riggins back full time, Smokin Al along with Brian Mitchell and master producer CJ.

I can't wait to not have to change the station because Doc Walker starts talking!

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | July 6, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

If they were to get the Caps/Nats I would hope they get Mike O'Meara to do something for that, when it comes to sports the man knows Hockey and Baseball.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 6, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Whatever JFK puts out there, it will be much much better than Snyder's Redskin propaganda station known as 980. I love the Redskins, but know better than to listen to the minister of information Larry Michael.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | July 6, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Michaels should be tried for football warcrimes. Geebus. What a tool.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 6, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that the signal is stronger in certain directions at night. I'm in Fairfax County and the signal is weaker than grandma's coffee here at night. I can only pick it up with a shortwave type radio, and even then it's sporadic.

---

Posted by: TheFingerman | July 6, 2009 4:04 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

I saw this today on DCRTV:

"The Junkies would be doing mornings. Chad Dukes would be paired with former Redskins Lavar Arrington for afternoons. The Washington Post's Mike Wise had been mentioned in middays, but that's not a certainty. Current afternooner Mike O'Meara and his crew are out. The show's in reruns this week, but he may have taped a "farewell message" that could air on the show's last day, we're told."

Posted by: _newt_ | July 7, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I was a huge Don and Mike fan but the Mike O'Meara show was awful. Mike was funny but he needed Don as his host to carry things. Also, adding the Buzz Babes as a Junkettes rip off was weak.

Posted by: chirsch | July 7, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I know it all comes down to the $$, but the Caps would be crazy to play second fiddle to the Wizards on WJFK. They are the hottest sports property in town right now with the biggest superstar. I think their present station, 1500, has done a good job with their pre and post game shows and treats them with respect, which WTEM didn't do when the Caps were on that station. So sticking with 1500 would be just fine with me. By the way, how funny is it that WTEM may not have any live pro sports other than the few Redskins games.

Posted by: poguesmahone | July 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Terrible. Here is one listener CBS Radio will be losing. I didn't even turn my radio on until I discovered Big O and Dukes when I moved here. I guess I'll be going back to Sirius now.

Who the heck wants to listen to has beens like George Michael break down the horrible Nats, terrible Wizards, and subpar Redskins? JFK already had coverage of the only area team worth covering.

DCRTV has already predicted 106.7's demise about 30 times already this year and been wrong every time, so don't give that loser too much credit.

Posted by: BurtReynolds | July 7, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

This is an extremely sad development for fans of talk radio, particularly those of us who have spent nearly two decades being entertained by WJFK. The station is absolutely the best its ever been right now and they're going to rip it away from us. Sigh.

Back to Sirius for me too.

Posted by: jwb9 | July 7, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for anybody besides DCRTV to report this, since as it's been mentioned, they've cried wolf more than a few times.

I hope the Mike O'Meara show isn't left out in the cold.

Posted by: nafspac | July 8, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse