Chase Daniel and Colt Brennan, Two Days Later

Earlier in the preseason. (By Evan Vucci - AP)

Since the last time they stood on the practice field together, Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel's names have been linked in a new way: the Either/Or, Colt or Chase, Brennan or Daniel, Cult or Church. After Daniel threw two touchdowns and Brennan threw a red-zone INT on Saturday, there were "Colt or Chase" questions posed on both The Post and The Times, and on a bunch of message boards. Both were hounded by the mics and recorders this afternoon, and both were trying their damndest to stay medium.

"The NFL dude, it's amazing what two weeks will do to you," Brennan said. "Two weeks ago, everyone's saying you're the most interesting battle for the No. 2 job in the NFL. Two weeks later, you're competing at No. 3 and supposedly dating a pop star. That's just the NFL, I guess. I can't wait 'til next week and the week after. Luckily there's still plenty of good that can still happen."

Daniel, meantime, has been fielding congratulations for the past 48 hours. He said he had 95 text messages after the game from "every friend from back home, all my college coaches, all my high school coaches." He was answering his phone during the whole ride back to Ashburn, and joked that "I've got to throw for three [touchdowns] next time, right?"

"That's just how it is, especially here in the national capital," he said. "So you've just got to go out there and just play ball and have fun with it, and not worry about outside expectations when I hold myself to a higher standard than a lot of people do.... All I'm doing is trying to get a spot on this team or another team. And I realize it's an audition, any time you get on film, it's an audition for another team. Do I want to be here? Heck yes. This is my first option, this is why I picked to come here, to learn under Coach Zorn. But if things don't work out here, then I know I'll have some film out there."

Brennan again was asked to discuss his fourth-quarter interception, when he tried to jam the ball into Todd Yoder's arms at the goal line. He said he would have handled the situation differently if he was protecting a late lead in a regular-season game, when a field-goal would have put his team up seven.

"But knowing that it is a preseason game, knowing that [it's my] only drive of the day, you're kind of trying to impress everyone and make something happen and make people remember you, that you went out there that day and did something," he said. "And so I was definitely looking for a touchdown. Now had it been a real game, then I probably would have made sure that I was really really smart with the ball, but that just really kind of wasn't my thinking at that moment. That was the only drive I got of the night. You know, I can go down and kick a field goal, or I can go down and get a touchdown. If I get a touchdown, people are gonna remember that a lot more than getting a field goal. I'm just glad I made the tackle."

Daniel, meantime, was facing questions about whether he can master this offense in one preseason, whether he's comfortable being away from the Missouri spread and whether he's big enough to be an NFL quarterback.

"it's the story of my life," he said of the size issue. "Everyone just questions it, but you can't question my heart, you can't question my brains or my arm or my skill. I still have a long, long way to go, but this is the right step and the direction that I want to go."

Neither man was exactly hyping up the Colt vs. Chase thing, and Daniel said that Brennan "was real excited for me." But obviously this is a story that's not going away, with Daniel threatening to take over, or at least share, the role of fan favorite.

"Last year I wasn't really playing flawless football, but my stats were really really awesome," Brennan said. "This year I'm not playing bad at all, it's just unfortunately my stats really aren't that great. You know, you only get so many opportunities in preseason, that's why you've got to capitalize. I got a chance, I've got two more opportunities coming up, I've just got to make sure to capitalize on these next two opportunities."

Daniel, meantime, was still trying to find a way to impress on practice, despite limited chances. He said he had only six reps in seven-on-seven drills Monday, "so I've got to make those reps count, and make the defense better as much as I can."

"This is just one game for me man, I'm just glad I had a great game," he said. "It's a little bit of a relief, but if I start thinking like that then I'm not gonna keep pushing forward in practice. And now especially, because we're into season mode, I get very little to any reps, so I've got to make my reps count."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 24, 2009; 4:53 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephon Heyer Stepped on Mike Sellers
Next: Morning Bog: Caps Prospect's Workout Routine

Comments

It should be interesting, they can always place Chase on the practice squad wouldn't you think?

Posted by: bms46and2 | August 24, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Right now, it doesn't look like either chase or colt would make it through waivers before going to the practice squad.

The skins have a critical decision to make regarding the QBs.

JC is clearly inept at QB and has no hope to ever improve sufficiently to lead the skins anywhere. He is the logical choice to go. The skins should trade him for a late round draft pick.

They should start Collins and groom CB and CD as possible replacements when TC retires.

Posted by: mfamrf | August 24, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON SUCKS.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 24, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Put Chase Daniel on special teams... maybe then we could keep him and get Danny Smith canned.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 25, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

COLT #3, and DANIEL practice squad.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 25, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Crazy thought, Jason Campbell is on the hot seat. Last year under contract and the Skins have not resigned him. They clearly are not satisfied with him at this point and even with all the changes in the offense, if he was our quarterback the contract would have been cleared up by now. If you think about it, why not keep Chase and Colt. Todd Collins is a true professional and a great number 2, but we are desperate for a number 1 that will make us contenders every year. Keep both the young ones. Maybe Chase can play a little Wildcat. As I said, crazy thought.

Posted by: skins50 | August 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow. You JC haters/Colt lovers are a hilarious bunch. Colt threw a terrible pick against players that wouldn't start for UMD. JC played a few series against the starters for the top defense in the league and was obviously ordered to launch the ball deep.

Sheesh.

Posted by: natemcfarlane | August 25, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not in love with Colt or Chase, but J. Campbell isn't getting the job done and Todd Collins is as good as he's going to get - a limited back-up. I think it's worth letting Colt and Chase get some game-time reps with the first string and see if they can look competent.

Posted by: dannno301 | August 25, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

dannno301, I have reported your post as abuse just for the sheer idiocy of that comment

Posted by: juice- | August 25, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I for one don’t care for any QB on the Skin’s roster. Not Chase. Not Collins. Definitely not Colt. I was pulling for JC until I finally realized that his departure from this team is inevitable after the 1-7 for 10 yards performance. I don’t see any improvement from last year. Even if we get lucky and make it to the playoff (that’s a big if), I still think the FO should keep JC. This is a premiere franchise. It needs a premiere QB.

There may be 1 or 2 potential blue-chip QBs in the draft next year and the Skins should draft a franchise QB next year. We may take a few steps back while he develops buy we just have to bite the bullet and get it done. If they go the draft route, STAY AWAY FROM TIM TEBOW!!! He has bust written all over him.

Posted by: Ejayraptor | August 25, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

J. Campbell didn't have his full complament of 1st string against the number 2 defense from last year. Against the number 1 defense from last year he had two screen plays that the D sniffed out and two deep balls one he under threw and the second thrown to the outside shoulder when the reciever was looking for the ball on the inside shoulder. So there is the 0-4 the rest of the throws weren't great but the receivers got both hands on the ball and didn't come down with them. Last year it was Colt should be the starter he was playing against guys who didn't even make an NFL team last year. Now this year against the same calaber of player he has thrown two INTs. On the flip Chase has become the next biggest thing since slice bread but again playing against third stringers or guys who will be looking for a normal job here in three weeks.

Remember what the line ups are when you watch the games during preseason. JC will open a lot of eyes this year and put up some great numbers and everyone will be sad if the Skins don't sign him to an extension before he becomes a free agent.

Posted by: pj24 | August 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

JC has played only three series in two games. Give the guy at least the Pats game where he'll play the first half and possibly into the third quarter, before you pass judgement.
He'll either allay our fears, or heighten them. Lets hope for the former.

Posted by: jdwilliams | August 25, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

In order to judge a quarterback, he must have at least two good wideouts a tight end and a back who can catch passes. Also the offensive line must protect passably. Injuries in the second half of last year to S. Moss and Betts, combined with Cooley's fumbles hurt the team.
But the biggest requirement for a quarterback to be successful is a system which maximizes the QB's strengths. Not only is the west Coast Offense the worst possible fit for JC but the receivers and running backs and line all were simply not suited for it. This makes the hiring of Jim Zorn probably the worst possible choice, since almost all personnel do not fitt his system. Snyder has doomed this franchise to mediocrity.

Posted by: puttforever | August 26, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter. JC sucks. Anybody will be better. Stop giving excuses for Campbell. He has proven that he can't get it done. The ideal situation is JC goes and the other three all play. They will probably still be 6-10 or 8-8, but at least they will be fun to watch. Campbell is a snooze fest.

Posted by: theBozyn | August 27, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ the Bozyn.

JC= 13 of 22 for 209 yards. Anybody could do that right?

Colt= 99 yard INT. the 2nd redzone INT in two games and 3rd INT in 3 games.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 28, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse