Chase Daniel, Not Daniels

So I'd argue that this "Chase Daniels" thing needs to be stomped out pretty quickly. In the days since the Missouri QB suddenly made the Redskins' third-string QB race into the hottest D.C. sports story since the Redskins' second-string QB race, we've seen repeated references to "Chase Daniels" in blog comments and live chats. We've heard "Chase Daniels" takes, pro and con, on two sportstalk radio stations. I accidentally typed it once. Jim Zorn accidentally said it once. Joe Theismann stuck with "Daniels" during much of Saturday's broadcast, and, of course, word of that trickled back to Daniel himself.

"Yeah, Theismann was messing it up," he said with a laugh. "I think it's funny. It happens everywhere."

So yes, it also happened at Missouri, and yes, his family and friends told him that it happened again on a national broadcast last week.

"I mean, it's an easy mix-up," he said charitably. "I make a joke out of it, say, 'Hey, that's not me. Who you talking about?' I think it's funny. Obviously either it's a mix-up or they just don't get it, or don't want to get, it or don't really care."

Which means, no, he's not bitter at you. But I still say we should purge "Chase Daniels" from the local lexicon. Or at least start mixing in some references to "Colt Brennans."

"I could care less man," Daniel said. "As long as I'm out there playing and they know either I'm Daniel or Daniels, I'm fine."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 26, 2009; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nick Adenhart the Skins Fan
Next: On Doug Flutie, Chris Meidt and Chase Daniel

Comments

so joe theismann messed up chase daniel. does he possibly know of another redskins qb who had name pronunciation issues?

Posted by: mja712 | August 26, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was the worst, he said Daniel Chase.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 26, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

while were nipping annoying language things in the bud, Chase Daniel, it's "I couldN'T care less." If you could care less, that means you care.

Posted by: ThisGuy | August 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mja712 | August 26, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

was that qb also a heismann finalist? at least chase didnt change the pronunciation to rhyme with the award...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | August 26, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Good post, Goldberg.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | August 26, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThisGuy | August 26, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Wrong. Saying this expression both ways is perfectly acceptable. Saying I could care less is sarcastic. Saying I couldn't care less is literal. Both end up meaning the same thing.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 26, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I would say you're wrong, Barno1, since "sarcasm" implies intent. I'd bet Chase Daniel doesn't know the meaning of the phrase he used, and I'd bet he does not in fact care about people's getting his name wrong.

Therefore it's simply a mistake in his usage. A very, very mild mistake. A mistake we were able to overcome by guessing his intent, though not a mistake that shouldn't be noted by heroic grammar police like ThisGuy.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 26, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Zimmermann and Jordan Zimmerman are in total agreeance with you on this.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Michael Irvins talked about this on his radio show

Posted by: mnatali | August 26, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I vote we pull a Zorn and call him Daniel Chase from now on.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 26, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

The maroon, yellow, and black welcome Daniel Chase.

And to TheGuy, thank you.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 26, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe messing up a name? Noooooooo...

"The word 'genius' isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann

Posted by: Grooven | August 26, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse