DeAngelo Hall Flames the Raiders, Praises Campbell

Ecstatic to be here. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

DeAngelo Hall hasn't been shy when talking about the Raiders since he got to D.C., repeatedly telling stories of chaos and dysfunction. But I don't think he's been as blunt as he was this morning during an appearance with Colin Cowherd. Speaking calmly and without emotion, Hall just shredded the organization and its owner while explaining why he was happy to be sweating through two-a-days in Ashburn.

This all started when Cowherd referenced Colts center Jeff Saturday and his publicly stated dislike of training camp. Cowherd asked whether Hall felt the same way.

"Nah, not at all," Hall said. "I've made the statement numerous times man, I'm just so excited to be back close to home and back to a team and an organization [where] I feel that we have a chance to win that I wake up ecstatic to go to practice. Jeff over there complaining--and I know Jeff pretty well--Jeff's over there complaining; Jeff could be playing for the Oakland Raiders or another team that has no shot in hell at doing anything in this league. So Jeff needs to wake up with a smile on his face that he has a Super Bowl ring and he has a team that can compete to try to get another one.

"So I definitely wake up and count my blessings, because I've been in that situation where I don't feel like we could have won a game. So to go to a situation where I feel that we've got a chance and we've got talent and we've got the right people in the front office to make things happen, I wake up with a smile on my face. I can't wait to get out there and compete and try to get better."

Hmm. So Oakland is, um, less than excellent?

"You know what, I heard the horror stories," Hall continued. "Randy [Moss] told me the horror stories, Warren [Sapp] told me the horror stories, and you know, I thought maybe I could go in there and try to change things around and try to put my work ethic out there and get guys to follow. But I'll tell you what, it starts form the top down, it definitely starts from the top down. And when you have players that can go in there and tell the owner something and he'll go against the head coach just because he likes the player, you know, that's when something's wrong. And until Mr. Davis relinquishes a little bit of that power, I don't think they'll ever turn it around. It was definitely a tough place to play and just get guys going. Guys have been used to doing a certain thing for so long, it's hard to go in and break the mentality."

And yeah, Hall obviously had a public falling out with the front office, but still, these barbs have points. He sent one final volley when asked about Davis's role in this whole thing.

"He would sit there every day and watch film of the practice in his office, and if you did something wrong, the coaches would tell you that 'Mr. Davis didn't like the way you read this,' or 'Mr. Davis didn't like this coverage so we're throwing this out,' or 'Mr. Davis wants us to do this so this is what we're gonna do.' You always got that every morning, because he came in after practice and kind of watched the film."

Which is why Ashburn seems like paradise, all things considered. Although Hall also isn't above questioning the local leadership, as when he was asked about Jason Campbell's offseason.

"I definitely think he can play," Hall said. "Especially when I was hearing talks about Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez, I really didn't understand it. Because you've got Mark Sanchez who's a rookie having to learn a whole new system and go through his lumps, I definitely didn't understand that. And Jay Cutler basically had one breakout season and now everybody thinks he's the next Tom Brady or whatever.

"But I was definitely happy with Jason as a quarterback, I definitely thought we needed to put some weapons around him, offensive line, probably another receiver, things like that, just to make his job a little bit easier. And the experience standpoint, him being in the same system for longer than one year is gonna definitely help him grow as a quarterback, and we definitely saw that from the end of last year to now, the growth of him as a quarterback and as a leader of this team."

He also praised the way Campbell handled the drama, saying that for the QB "to just play the bigger man and just sit there and hear all the talks and see what's going on behind the scenes, and to still have to come in there to work and put his best foot forward to keep his career going, that's a tribute to the kind of person and leader he is."

Which means that Hall's comments on Michael Vick were, at best, the third-most interesting part of the interview. Heck, I'm not even gonna use those.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 12, 2009; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beamer: "Michael Vick's a Good Person"
Next: Smoot on the O Line and Wide Receivers

Comments

The man speaks the truth. Gotta love it.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 12, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

DHall really likes the word "definitely."

Posted by: d_skillz | August 12, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You bet the coaches In Oakland came out and told Hall Al and the Coaches didn't like the way Hall was playing... He was horrible, he couldn't stop your grandmother if she was in a wheelchair... You could get better coverage out of a bunch of blind girl scouts... And now he wants to claim, " Al watched the practices".. It wasn't Al out there getting flamed game after game...we saw Halls play... Check his stats while he was in Oakland.... Damn right they watched the way he practiced... If they hadn't then it would be Al Davis fault. What a copout..when he first left he thanked Al Davis, now he's shown his true colors... Like Sapp..

Posted by: Fingersrdrs | August 12, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

DeAngelo Hall has got to be the last person with any right to criticize the Raiders. When he arrived in Oakland either he decided he wasn't going to try or he had already lost his ability to play. We'll find out next year if he can actually still play corner in the league.

Certainly Al Davis is insane and the organization needs to be completely overhauled in order for it to regain the glory of the past and there's a long list of players who have legit gripes from Marcus Allen to more recently Derrick Burgess (and let's just hope Morrison isn't headed for that list). DeAngelo Hall though really should first prove he can successfully defend a fourth string receiver before he opens his mouth.

Posted by: noahthek | August 12, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked to see that so many Raiders apologists read Dan Steinberg!

I hope all the love DeAngelo has for the Redskins translates to 10 INT's this year, with 2 coming in the Black Hole December 13th....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 12, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

De Angelo Hall is the last person on earth that should be talking about anyone or any organization. I am a Raider Fan and I watched him play. He was the worst. He constantly got burned by every #1,2,3 receiver he faced. After watching him give up completion after completion he had to go. Our backup was five times better than Hall who seemed glad to be a Raider when he was given that fat contract. Hall is personally responsible for the Raiders losing at least 2 games.

Posted by: jrhorer8 | August 12, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

The Raiders will torch the sikns (pronounced sick uns) this year, and Hall will be the one giving up the big plays. If he's still playing that is. Go Raiders!
By the way Raider fans apolgize to no one!

Posted by: jrhorer8 | August 12, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

and I think that pretty much distinguishes a D.C. area fan and an Oakland fan.

apologist vs. apologizes

Posted by: trolly_time | August 12, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Oakland fans talking trash??? whats next Detroit Lions fans claiming about how good Jon Jansen is going to be???? The Raiders had a GOOD season last year at 5-11 thus retained that dope of a coach...what a joke the Raiders are....they cant even sell out that dump of a stadium. Surely DHall is to blame for the Faiders downfall...they are what 24-72 over the last 6 years? Moss was supposedly a bum when he was there...Sapp said it was purgatory...DHall played good with the Skins last year. I cant wait til we get our free win vs Jokeland this December, SD and Denver have been getting free wins for years.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | August 13, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm...lets think for a second Oakland fan.
Warren Sapp, the best defensive lineman of this decade, goes to Oakland and can't do anything. Plus, he calls it "purgatory."
Randy Moss, the best WR of this decade, goes to Oakland for two seasons and may as well have played for the Athletics, he contributed so little. Then he goes to New England and has the greatest season of all time for a WR.
Hall goes to Oakland, and pretty much dogs it and gets cut. He comes to Washington and does well and has a couple picks.

So, what's the common theme here....oh yeah, the Okland Raiders and Al Davis. Like Hall said, it starts from the top and goes down. If their owner doesn't respond to logic and reason, then why would their fans?

Why on earth would you even be on here anyway? This is the Washington Post website...what do you do sit on your computer all day and search for any critics of your sorry excuse for a team?

Posted by: mtorioles | August 13, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Game film doesn't lie...Hall was horrible ..and I have the Washington / Raider game as a win for Oakland this year... You won't be singing that silly song you like so much in Oakland... I still remember the Raider / Skin super bowl well.. Awesome wasn't it...

Posted by: Fingersrdrs | August 13, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I like how all these Redskins fans forget. Your memory must be short. The Oakland Raiders have won more games, they have won more division titles, and they have won more Super Bowls,(one of which was against the Redskins)than your precious Foreskins! In fact, they have been to a Superbowl more recently than the Redskins and have a conference championship this decade. You can call Mr. Davis crazy all you want, but hes has 15 division titles, 5 conference championships and 3 Super Bowl rings. Let me ask you what Dan Snyder has done? NOTHING! The Raiders have the BEST cornerback in the league on their team so D Hall has no excuses, he just sucks! A team like Washington has 2 decades of bad seasons and their fans think they were good every year. The Raiders have 6 bad seasons, and Redskins fans seem to think that the Raiders where never good. D Hall is a bust he can't play Man to Man and he is shorter than a midget. D Hall knows he sucks, and that is why he has ran his mouth his whole career, to take attention away from his play. You heard it here first Foreskin fans, THE RAIDERS WILL WIN MORE GAMES THIS YEAR THAN WASHINGTON! INCLUDING THE ONE ON DEC. 13TH!

Posted by: isic333 | August 13, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Redskins have 3 SB rings...Jokeland has 3 SB rings. What does that do for either team now? Squat, I love it. Jokeland fans grasping onto a SB appearance 7 or 8 years ago - thats comical. How far does the clock go...can we run and shove our SB trophy in 1991 or does the clock not turn back that far. Life is that bad as a Jokeland fan? It appears so.

When the Raiders win 5 games or Less YET AGAIN I wonder what their excuses will be. Players go to Jokeland and their careers die....thus the nickname "THE BLACK S**THOLE".

Posted by: Redskins2Win | August 13, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hall needs to hope for health care reform so he can have his butt sewed shut and quit talking out of it (alright I stole that line from Jon Stewart tonight but its still funny). I was at the Raider-Bronco Monday night opener last year where I eyewitnessed pretty much the poorest coverage I have ever seen by an NFL defensive back, that being by the one and only Me'Angelo Hall. Cutler connected with rookie Eddie Royal 9 times, 8 of those against single coverage, no non-coverage, by Hall. There was a guy I played along side in high school who was better then than Hall is today! No joke. How you would even be interested in hearing what the clown has to say is beyond me. Redskins are coming to Oaktown Dec 13th. Honestly I don't think Hall will be on the field much at that time, but if I'm wrong that is going to be comedy at its finest. I don't follow the Redskins much but I'm sorry to tell you folks that if you're banking on D'Angelo Hall you are in for a long season. He ain't good.

Posted by: ericthered1 | August 14, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Here's a little update, I know it is early and it is only preseason, but I'm sure it is an sign of things to come.

Ravens 23 - Redskins 0
Raiders 31 - Cowboys 10

Posted by: isic333 | August 14, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

LMAO! Seems as if though Redskin fans think they have accomplished that much more than the Raiders over the past ten years? Not a Redskins hater at all....love the history of that team, but come on. Redskins are....... kinda ok, but I can't remember the last time I ever heard the Redskins being in contention for anything! As bad as the Raiders and Cowboys are, they sure did get a lot of national attention on prime time tv.

Posted by: SFONCLT | August 14, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Dear Deadskin fans you want him, you can have him, I will be there at the Collesium when the Raiders lift a few " toasts " to Mr Hall, all over his head of course.I don't understand your juvenile chest thumping about a team that never even has a 1st round pick, and always finishes last in their division, your only claim to fame is a few overweight drunks dressed up as pigs, well on second thought, maybe they always look that way. We'll talk again at the end of the season and you can tell us how bright things look from the bottom, cause you can't fall any lower.

Posted by: jrxjohn | August 14, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Deangelo Hall was so burned when he was a Raider he was statistically the 3rd worst CB in the league. Al Davis didnt make him play so bad. He got onthefield and got burned play after play and then to make things worse he would throw a punch to teh face of the opposing WR 50% or the time and get a 15 yard personal foul on top of it. He is horrible in man coverage, which was Davis's mistake, thinking Hall could go from zone to man coverage and he is equally horrible in the character department not only for the personal fouls but for bad mouthing one of the greatest men in football history who paid him $1,000,000 a week to be the 3rd worst at his position in the league. Warren Sapp was horrible in the 3-4 when he arrived in Oakland and Al Davis switched them back to a 4-3 just for him and Sapp had one good season. The Raiders were a league worst in stopping the run and that was mainly due to Sapps diminished run stopping skills as he got older. There's a reason he's retired now. Randy "I'll play when I feel like playing" Moss is another cry baby who got paid more than God and responded by quitting on routes and being a cancer in the locker room. Sure the coaching has been lacking since Gruden left the team but coaching has little to do with the play of seasoned veterans like the aforementioned 3. Lets not get into any biases the DC crowd has against Oakland after the whipping they took in the Super Bowl at Oakland's hands. When's the last time the Redskins made it to a divisional championship much less a Super Bowl? Exactly. Dan Snyder has spent more than Davis in fact and has nothign to show for it either. The fact that anyone is even interviewing Hall debases their credibilty as he is one of the worst players both on the field and off.

Posted by: racerx1225 | August 17, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse