DeAngelo Hall Has Tumbling Skills

(By Haraz N. Ghanbari - AP)

Observers of Redskins practice this week saw DeAngelo Hall do at least two noteworthy things.

First off, he spent some time with the wide receivers, catching passes. "That was just something where I had a little bit of time, so they let me go ahead and do it," he said.

Later, he closed practice with a mini tumbling routine, which one TV reporter described as a round-off.

"Ex-gymnast," Hall explained to reporters, including my colleague Paul Tenorio. "That's something a lot of people don't know about me. So next question, if you want to ask a question about DeAngelo that's something a lot of people don't know, I used to be a gymnast."

See, this is something I didn't know. I wasn't the only one.

"You could do flips and all that stuff?" an impressed Doug Dutch asked. Others were less surprised.

"He flipped a couple days ago, showed me he can get up and go," Fred Smoot said. "Good athlete. I haven't tried it in about three years. I used to do it in practice all the time, [but] I'm getting older, I've got to keep all that energy."

Hall is the youngest of six children, and while he was already playing organized basketball at the age of 6, his mom wasn't ready for him to play football. So when it wasn't basketball season, she signed young DeAngelo up for gymnastics class. He specialized in the floor and the rings, went to competitions, the whole routine. Could he have been a star?

"I don't know, 15 years later, 10 years later, you never know," he said. "But it wasn't nothing I think I had a passion for. I had a passion for football."

Still, Hall probably knows more about gymnastics than your typical NFL player. He was a fan of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team--"Dominique Dawes, Shannon [Miller], [Dominique] Moceanu, all of them," he said. His son and daughter have both taken lessons. His wife was a college cheerleader, "so that was a great conversational piece when I was dating," he noted. "I would go out there and tumble with all the cheerleaders and whip their [tails], too."

Hall said the gymnastics background did nothing to help him in football; if he went on the rings now, he said, he could wrap around and dismount but not do anything crazy. Still, at least one man at Redskins Park was excited to hear about his athletic past.

"Awesome, that is awesome," Jim Zorn said. "It's total body strength. I surfed, and I speedskated, and I did a bunch of different things. I taught gymnastics in college, because I had a theory class. Were you a gymnast too?" he asked Jeremy Jarmon, who was sitting nearby.

"No," Jarmon said.

"When you're a senior, if you're a PA major, you take classes that force you to teach different sports, so if you had a tennis segment you had to teach a stroke and you had to prepare your lesson plan. So we had a gymnastics class, and we all had to learn how to do back handsprings and tricks on the high bar."

"Can you still do it?" Jarmon asked.

"No, I'm not much of an athlete any more," Zorn said. "Well, I can still play racquetball. I've been looking for a racquetball game."

"Do you play tennis?" Jarmon asked his coach. "I play tennis. I played in middle school. That's definitely how I improved my change of direction. My mom played in circuits in the city, and I would play with her and some other people. Australian doubles, baby."

Anyhow, when he was 10 or 11, Hall gave up gymnastics and soon concentrated on football, which worked out ok. He still likes to watch Olympic gymnasts, and he and his wife took a class for adults recently. So, I'm sure you're wondering, how is his tumbling nowadays?

"Not as good as it once was," Hall said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 19, 2009; 4:28 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yet More Nicknames From T Plush
Next: Famous Author Compares Steelers and Skins Fans

Comments

Please please please get video of this!

Posted by: kacd | August 19, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Base Declaration of 2009
______________________________________

It appears that the Redskins fan base is partially comprised of a group of "football geniuses". These football academicians are obviously wasting their lives in their current jobs!

Moreover, I think they are wasting their time even posting here because the rest of us fans are just not smart enough to understand how terrible the Redskins are for eternity!

In order to save these football geniuses' time, I suggest we all admit the following principles so to free the football geniuses to perform other scholarly football activity.

Summary of Redskin Football Status per RFKROX and other super-smart and negative posters:

1) Redskins are the worst team in the NFL forever.

2) Redskins need a new owner, a new general manager, a new head coach, a
new set of offensive and defensive coaches. They need a new QB, A new offensive line, a new set of recievers and tight ends. Redskins also need a new set of defensive players, plus a new stadium in a new city.

3) Unless #2 above is accomplished, the Redskins will have horrible seasons forever.

4) Redskins are worst than all other NFL teams

5) All other NFL teams have better owners, coaches and players

6) Anybody who ever hope that the Redskins will have any success is devoid of any football acumen.

7) Redskins' yabadabadoo is the worst in the NFL!

As the representative for football-dumb Redskins fans, I admit that above information is forever true. We worship the ground where the football geniuses consume large amounts of brew daily.

Based on the above admission, I ask the football geniuses not to waste their time on these boards anymore. They should start consulting other fan bases and enlighten them on a daily basis regarding how inadequate their teams are. Redskins are a lost cause, so why bother?

We have also asked the Redskins gestapo to stop holding a gun to people's head to force them be a Redskins fan.

Effective immediately, all football geniuses are thereby relieved from their state-sponsored duties to be a Redskins fan. This is true, I am not kidding. Nobody is going to be sued if they stop being Redskins fan. Moreover, people are also free not to watch the games on TV or go the stadium!! I am absolutely not making this up guys!

You all have the freedom to adore Wade Phillips and Tom Brady. Hell, you guys can even date them, both, at the same time. Feel free to take along your family too!

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 19, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

...and of course, we are free to tell you to piss off. So, please go to hell. RIP!

Posted by: tramellcanady | August 19, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Portis does flips into the endzone.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | August 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

OK, Mr. kacd,

That had to be one of the lamest posts ever. Really, I am not much one for commenting, because these things can get out of control, but you were just firing away without any thought.

Redskins any good? Well, five Superbowl appearances with three victories, not too bad.

Let's just try to stick to the facts and not go crazy on, well, being crazy.

- Kevin

Posted by: khumphreys1 | August 19, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Totally off topic, but are you going to cover the Nats-Press-Corps-Fail surrounding the whole "Dipoto's gonna be GM tomorrow!!111!!!eleventy!!11!!lulz" business, in light of the right man (Rizzo) actually getting the job? They sure deserve it given today's media arc on this story.

Posted by: wahoo2x | August 19, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Zorn cannot find a racquetball game? Someone needs to tell him about the legendary matches between Snyder and Cerrato.

Posted by: skipper7 | August 20, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

KHumphreys1,

First of all, the poster is listed at the BOTTOM of a post...so u were responding to peaceful2008's post not kacd.

Secondly, not only was he being blatantly sarcastic, but he even referred to RFKROX and that they were negative posters. Furthermore, he finished off with HTTR (or 'Hail To The Redskins' for those of you who aren't down with the internet lingo)

Posted by: Rajmahal33 | August 20, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Coach Zorn to Jeremy Jarmon, "were you a gymnast too?" .....hilarious, big old D-line guy a gymnast!

Posted by: gatsu | August 20, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse