DeAngelo Hall vs. J.J. Redick and Barack Obama

(Chatting at 11:30. Submit questions here.)

DeAngelo Hall has done a pretty fine job endearing himself to D.C. fans, making plays on the field, not making a ruckus off it, and repeatedly proclaiming his love of this franchise and this area. But just in case that wasn't good enough, on Monday afternoon he embarked on an extended discussion of his basketball superiority to J.J. Redick.

"I used to do J.J. Redick," Hall said when discussing his amateur hoops career. "I used to give him that work."

Come again?

"Kill him," Hall explained.

See, basketball was Hall's first love and the sport he took most seriously, so he competed in high-level AAU tournaments with and against guys like Jarrett Jack, Rashad McCants, John Gilchrist and, yes, Redick. He and Redick were teammates when they were about 15 or 16, but the season before that, Hall's Chesapeake team had won a state AAU title over Redick's squad.

"He was like the best player in the state," Hall recalled. "He had averaged like 32 a game. I went for like 31, he had like 12....He was so easy [to guard]. You just deny him the ball. You know what I'm saying, he wasn't quicker than me, more athletic than me. I don't know why guys didn't just do that the whole season, just deny him the ball. We went box and 1, that's all we did, and I manned him up."

Hall has apparently bragged about his performance against Redick for years, to his wife, his friends and his NFL teammates, telling everyone how he "used to whip his ass." One acquaintance finally asked Redick to confirm the story, and the Dukie called Hall to dispute his version.

"I said, 'Man, you crazy, I whooped y'all ass, that's how I got a state championship and you don't,' " Hall said. "We was just joking back and forth. I mean, the [stuff's] documented. He had 12 points, I had 32. I checked him. I shut him down. I mean, you can lie about it all you want, but it's on film."

This was all part of an extended hoops discussion after Monday's practice. Hall said he would have pursued a basketball career if he hadn't stopped growing. He said he nearly joined the Virginia Tech basketball team, but Coach Frank Beamer wouldn't allow it, although he eventually relented for Bryan Randall and Jeff King. "I laid the foundation and the groundwork," Hall said.

The cornerback claimed he regularly competed against the Hokies hoopsters and came out just fine; "we used to always play them cats in the gym, I would do 'em all, all of 'em, you name 'em," he said. And he said he won a slam dunk contest against many of the school's basketball stars early in his Tech career.

"They all was like 6-6, 6-7, 6-5, and I'm 5-10 out there," he said. "Any dunk that you name, I'm doing it all."

This conversation started, I should note, when Hall told me and Matt Terl that he's trying to line up a basketball game against Barack Obama. Terl asked him whether he'd take it easy on the president.

"No, I'm gonna give him that work," Hall said. "Why not? Why not? I ain't taking it easy on him. For what?"

And Terl asked whether he'd talk trash.

"Oh yes, you best believe it," Hall said. "I'm a cornerback. Ain't got nothing else to talk about. 'Hey, good foreign policy?' Nah, [forget] that. C'mon friend, D it up, let's go."

Hall has played in Redskins basketball games against teammates like Fred Smoot and Jason Taylor, saying he "talked a whole bunch of [trash] and I went out there and gave them all that work." He went to a bunch of Wizards games last year but doesn't have a favorite NBA team, although he did note that he's "not a big LeBron James fan." He said he'd have trouble now matching up with a bigger guard like McCants, but when I asked him what would happen if he faced Redick, well...

"I still think I could deny him the ball," hall said."He couldn't get by me. I don't think he could score on me."

And if Redick tried to play cornerback?

"Oh, he doesn't stand a chance," Hall said. "Does. Not. Stand. A. Chance."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 25, 2009; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Redskins , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Caps Prospect's Workout Routine
Next: Faces of Zorn: "Ooaach" Exasperation

Comments

First!!!

D Hall ... Sir, I just bought your jersey.

Posted by: Chocolate_City | August 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

There weren't many bright spots for Tech or the officiating crew in the sham of a game when Tech first played in Cameron. It would have been great to see Hall out there playing against the ACC teams like Duke. Didn't he leave the year before the move to the ACC though?

Posted by: sitruc | August 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I went to VT while D.Hall was there, and he def won both the little man AND the big man dunk contests, I think for two years straight. The man had crazy hops.

Posted by: CapsNut19 | August 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Give him that work!!!" I love it! That's my new phase! D. Hall just became one of my favorite Redskins! And he did a Dukie, too! Can it get any better? Just get a few pick-6's and DC will love you forever.

Posted by: bigherb | August 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

dhall.balls.out.

Posted by: CrappyWaiter | August 25, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Marvelous. My new favorite Redskin. Is it sad to be so motivated by irrational hatred? Aw hell, I don't care.

Although, it would have been impossible to play a box and one against Reddick's Duke teams. It may have worked in AAU ball, but those teams had too much talent.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

They all was like 6-6, 6-7...'

great words, VT. we can see why yr proud... ;P

like the skins and VT, Hall just plays well enough. trash, and u fans who worship this drivel are worse

Posted by: mloaks | August 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

He should be glad Eddie Royal didn't play AAU ball. :-)

Posted by: dlwashington | August 25, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

mloaks... you're reading it to buddy. So why are you complaining?

Posted by: smoke26 | August 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

typical Hokie....he has no friggin' clue.

Posted by: Durham2 | August 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Just make sure you don't get beat deep in FOOTBALL, the reason why the Freakin Raiders cut U.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 25, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

While we are on the subject of Duke, the Cameron crazies are infamous for the ways in which they ridicule the visiting team. Let me suggest to Terp fans that since Duke was largely built by the contributions of the Duke family, a huge cigarette manufacturer that Terp fans come to games dressed as cigarettes and tombstones. After all a school that was built on the deaths of millions of tobacco users deserves to have that pointed out by the opposition.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

LBJ > Dbag,redskins,'zards

Posted by: popopo | August 25, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

What does Super Bowl Week and Preseason have in common? Stories like this. Opening day, please hurry...PLEASE!

Posted by: richs91 | August 25, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Choppin224

You do realize America basically ran on tobacco when it was founded right? So im not sure what point youre trying to make. I'm pretty sure more schools were funded by tobacco products just like many other major corporations. No one respects md fans anyways cause all they do is throw beer, complain, throw batteries, complain and repeat.

Posted by: Vt2gtown | August 25, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I love his swagger....he needs to give some to J. Campbell

Posted by: wardt30 | August 25, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Wake forest was moved to Winston-Salem by the Reynolds tobacco empire from Raleigh b/c RJ Reynolds himself was upset with the Duke family founding a school....and that is why Wake Forest is nowhere near Wake Forest, NC.

Posted by: HughGRection | August 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Vt2gtown
Gee, thank you for the history lesson. I am well aware that in Maryland and other states, trace was conducted and taxes were collected in the form of tobacco. So what?
When the Duke family got started it was the late 1800's not at the time of the founding of the republic. And besides, some Asian countries made millions and continue to make millions in growing poppies to be turned into opium and heroin. So I guess that is OK with you too as it is a large part of their economies just as tobacco was ours 250 years ago.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

D. Hall!!! C'mon man...you don't have to do all of that "trash talking". For What???? And you're talking about talking trash to the President too?!?!?

Look, everyone knows that you're a superb athlete OR you definitely wouldn't be in the NFL. You make a fair wage at something that you love doing. Don't tarnish you reputation with stuff like this.

Remember..."The loudest man in the room IS the weakest man in the room".

Posted by: carterm1 | August 25, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Look, everyone knows that you're a superb athlete OR you definitely wouldn't be in the NFL. You make a fair wage at something that you love doing. Don't tarnish your reputation with stuff like this.

Remember..."The loudest man in the room IS the weakest man in the room".

Posted by: carterm1 | August 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

DHall may have crazy hops, but he ain't got no understandable English... faschizzle D'dizzle!!

Posted by: jwabell | August 25, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

D.Hall is lacking a little in credibility. He acknowledges that they had to play a box and one to try to stop Reddick. However, no one played a box and one against Hall. I hope this blowhard will keep his mouth shut when playing against NFL opponents. The Redskins are a marginal team and don't need aggravating material on the opponents bulletin board.

Posted by: sportsfan2 | August 25, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Durham2

Well at least DHall called out JJ. Whereas JJ called out Wizards fans then folded while his team lost the NBA finals. He contributed nothing. His best days are at duke. He would serve the league better as a coach than a player. And he cant play corner or wide receiver but Hall can check him on the court and on the field. Been in the leagues for 6 years and the only way we know him is from his rant about wizards fans.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

sportsfan2

What opponent? Do the redskins play the orlando magic this year? You must be a duke fan.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

angelo hall, he lost the D because he usually doesn't play any He is a loud mouth who led one of the most talented yet underachieving HOKIE football teams ever. He and Kevin Jones singlehandedly ruined team chemistry in blacksburg by not showing up for practice etc. when they wanted to because they were better than the team. Fast forward, he's still running his mouth after stealing from falcons, raiders and skins as a shut down # cb. Not hating just saying the guy's mouth is much better than his game.

Posted by: jdb70 | August 25, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Dan -
Ask DHall how he singlehandedly lost the state championship football game to Centreville when he was at Deep Creek.

Don't. Pick. Up. A. Punt. That. Is. Rolling. To. A. Stop. Twice. And. Fumble. Both. Times. Then. Take. Yourself. Out. Of. The. Game. And. Put. A. Towel. Over. Your. Head.

Posted by: BigWesGoingToTakeA | August 25, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Just for saying he is not a LaBoron fan makes him ok in my book. Play smart. Play Big!

Posted by: zariah | August 25, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse