Greg Blache Blows Up At Trevor Matich

I heard from a reader the other day who was concerned that some of the team's quote machines, like defensive mastermind Greg Blache, have been a little bit off their game this summer. Well, put those concerns in a lockbox somewhere, because Blache was on slinging the verbal darts Friday night.

I have no idea what sort of history there might be between him and Trevor Matich, but a verbal flamewar erupted during CSN's Postgame Live that put Czaban vs. Brunell to shame. (Full Blache video below.) It started with a seemingly innocuous question from Matich, back on the set with Chick Hernandez and Ken Harvey, about the Redskins' pass rush vs. the Pats.

"Coach, how would you evaluate the pass rush today?" Matich asked.

Blache--outside the locker room--gave a bland answer, about how the rush was inconsistent but how it improved as the game went on.

"What did you think of it?" he then asked Matich with a wink. "You had a reason to ask that question, what'd you think of it?" he said while rolling his eyes.

Matich expressed a concern about the time Tom Brady had on his two touchdown passes, and Mount Blache began smoking. He disagreed with Matich's assessment, in detail, then said this.

"I knew you had an ulterior motive," he said. "And then when I asked you the question, you went duh duh duh, so obviously when you throw questions, you've got to be able to handle them coming back."

Matich tried to get a word in, but the lava was already flowing.

"There you go again," Blache said, channeling Reagan. "I know you guys, pass rush must the only ting y'all learned in elementary school, because it's the question I get all the time, when it's good and when it's bad. And I don't mind answering your questions, but I'd least like to answer smart, honest, well thought out questions, except the same old, over and over, same old stuff."

Matich just stared at the camera, looking like he was about to lose his mind, or vomit, or something. That's the image captured above.

"Coach, let me just say this, nothing personal there and there was no ulterior motive," he said, as Blache shook his head, sighed deeply, rolled his eyes, and otherwise conveyed strong dissatisfaction.

"The pass rush has been a question for good or for bad," Matich continued, "and my question was how would you evaluate it. So I appreciate your answer for that, I just wanted to know what your evaluation was."

"Well, I know, and I gave it to you," Blache interrupted.

"I wasn't suggesting anything about it," Matich concluded.

"You know what though, you know what, I hear it all the time," Blache said. "And quite honestly, I just felt like I'd throw it right back at you. You all want to throw things around, let's see if you can catch."

It was, to say the least, uncomfortable viewing.

"Man," said Ken Harvey, who was next up. It was about the only thing to say at that point. Later he joked with Blache when the coach didn't throw a question back at him.

"It's just you know what, I come every week, in good faith, but there's a point in time I just get a little tired of the same old BS," Blache said. "So there's times I want to find out if they can handle it coming back. Because it's one thing to ask questions of people all the time, it's another one to have to answer them. You know, so I just want to let them know, if they want to throw stuff, just to be ready to catch."

How many days until the next episode of Postgame Live? Set your TiVo machines now.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 29, 2009; 4:16 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Secondary Not Worried About Pats Points
Next: How Blogs and Bagels Killed Coach L's Tweets

Comments

While this is great TV....Blache is going to get what he asked for from now on. He's not going to get any nice questions that allow him to spin the answer...he's going to get hard hitting specific questions that get right to the point and question individual performances on specific plays. I hope he's got his catcher's mitt this year because I can't wait to get real hard hitting questions of these guys after poor performances. Go get them Trevor -- you just got the green light to stop being polite and nail these guys with real questions. (I think the original question was more than fair and in all honesty...a softball.)

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | August 29, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I have yet to hear a hard hitting question from anyone on the Comcast post game. It is all around pretty weak sauce.

Go get Blache -- get ready for those real questions. I would be shaking in your boots. Trevor Matich is gonna get you with his hard questions.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | August 29, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Go get em Blache -- get ready for those real questions. I would be shaking in your boots. Trevor Matich is gonna get you with his hard questions.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | August 29, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Is Mr. Blache a professional working for a public company or not? What a thoroughly amateurish performance.

If he doesn't like the questions, if he doesn't like to face the "public", he needs to find another job.

Yeah, sometimes the questions are stupid or have been asked 87 times before, but you have to suck it up and pretend that you're interested.

Posted by: SteveMG | August 29, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

He'll stop getting the same question when the pass rush actually produces some sacks or turnovers...

Posted by: Cavalier83 | August 29, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

We too are tired of the same ol BS. No pressure which leads to no turnovers. We were in the bottom part of the league in both categories last year, but he likes to trot out the #4 yardage ranking.

Posted by: keino83 | August 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

"Exactly Cavalier83. It's absurd for Blache to keep getting upset (this is not the first time) when questioned about the lack of pass rush. It has been a constant problem with this team."

I think you're missing the point. The guy asking Blache did have a follow-up, so the first question was a set-up. "How was your rush?" "Oh, so if it wasn't a big issue, why did Brady seem to have so much time?"

Come on, *I* could ask those questions, and the second one Blache could counter pretty easy -- When Hall got beat, we didn't have time to get any pressure. Blache wants the professionals to do a better job than the armchair quarterbacks. Seems fair.

The obvious follow-up is why did Hall get beat without safety help. But then *lead* with that question, not some lazy "pass rush" crap. Sports reporters, Mr. Mayor so far fairly well excepted, thank heavens, tend to be herd animals. If Joes 1, 2, and 3 asked about pass rush, nobody can fault me for doing it. If Joes 1, 2, and 3 pick the Eagles for the Super Bowl, though nobody did six months ago, I can too. If 1, 2, & 3 all ask about pass rush...

Drive me crazy too, Coach.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 30, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Blache is crazy, b/c Matich is one of the most forgiving, excuse-making, "journalists" on TV (no one comes close to the Michael Brothers: "King George" and "Larry Adware"). Obviously, if his defense line was producing, Blache wouldn't be getting ANY questions...

Posted by: Peaux_Sucent | August 30, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Worst seat... you're the best, you can do anybody's job better. Bottom line was Blache was very unprofessional. To think that three weeks into the "preseason" he's tired of that question. How bout get apass rush, then get tired. One hit on Brady does not make a pass rush. Matich took the high road. The show is there to ask questions that the fans might want to know too.

Posted by: ChickHernandez1 | August 30, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Saw it live and immediately recognized it as prime Bog fodder.

Also, you got some CSN screen time in the tunnel while skipping with your camera after your game.

Posted by: offbeatdude | August 30, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

No worstseat, I get the point loud and clear because I watch the games. It was a legitimate question because we have lacked a pass rush as long as Blache has been our coordinator. Until there is a pass rush, he should have to answer that question on a daily basis. In case you weren't aware we in the bottom 5 last year in the whole league in generating turnovers and generating sacks. The only team in the league not to score a defensive touchdown. It is fairly common knowledge that the quickest way to reverse that is to get pressure.

Don't interviewers typically ask follow-up questions based upon the answer given? You can't be that much of a pollyana, can you?

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I understand Blache's pique at these questions because with 2 weeks left to go until the opener against the Giants the Redskins are not going to show NE all their blitz packages and stunts and situation substitutions that will impact how the defense performs in the regular season.

Matich is a guy that tends to be very critical and note that he didn't credit the Redskins OL with giving Campbell good protection after the game.

He is a negative interviewer win or lose for the team and we have enough of those in Arrington and Mitchell already.

Posted by: leopard09 | August 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I didn't realize asking the Defensive coordinator to assess the pass rush was such a negative question.

Given that it has been an area of specific concern under Blache, the question is entirely fair and is neither positive or negative.

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Blache is right. The same questions time and again in this town...

do you get the sense that...
talk about the sense of urgency...

blah, blah, blah.

give us new questions. that goes for all in the media.

you know you've asked a good question when the person you're interviewing says... 'that's a good question"

leave the dumb questions at home.

Posted by: amembernow | August 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Blache Pockets Straight!!

Posted by: wjeremy26 | August 30, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Please explain how asking for an assessment of the Defensive line play/pass rush is a stupud question.

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Please explain how asking for an assessment of the Defensive line play/pass rush is a stupid question.

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 4:05 PM

Its not a stupid question, its just a standard question that doesn't evoke more than a non-answer. People used to give Gibbs a hard time about not answering questions ... but if its complete softball, the response you can expect is softserve ice cream. After watching it and being asked to answer press questions after a game, Blache is just saying "Is that it? You need me in front of a camera for that?" Matich's question was a "FAQ". The expected response to any FAQ like it would be "check the stats." Its not like anything requiring a defensive coordinator to answer.

[I'm only playing an advocate for a side on this one ... as a matter of blog worthy discussion, this one ranks right up there with NFL "action" in mid-June.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 30, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Trevor Matich and the rest of the gang of "has been" and "never been" have to be treated just like they were treated by the coach.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 30, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

If I were interviewed by these bozo fauz-reporters, I would answer just like the coach did.

In fact, I would throw them off with crappy answers to show these losers who is the boss!

Matich: so coach what is your assessment of the pass rush?

Coach: I think our pass rush was great. Thanks, next question

Matich: really coach? how about those deep balls from Brady to Moss

Coach: yep, next question.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 30, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

When u play in a town where nothing is ever good enough, why bother trying to defend yourself?

The best example was JC. Before the game, everyone was like JC cannot get another completion for the rest of his life. After his solid performance, everyone was fine, but how about that throw to Moss?

See when you deal with loders, you can feel free to act like one!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 30, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I meant losers (not loders) as in loser negatively-wired fans
blah blah doom, blah blah gloom, blah blah JC too dark, blah blah Snyder too rich, blah blah season tickets, blah blah stadium traffic

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 30, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Trevor Matich, can you please help clip coach Blache's toe nails? that is the only thing you are good for

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 30, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Saw that. Blache was a complete a-hole. There was absolutely nothing that Matich did that was objectionable.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 30, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

PUUUULLLLEEEZZZEE folks! Blache was smiling and laughing thru most of this, got slightly serious at one or two points, but was asking Trevor the question in a let's have some fun kind of way. You all are blowing this completely out of proportion. And I ask you are you perfect too? Yeah Matich did nothing objectionable, but neither did Blache. Jeez!

Posted by: gb810 | August 30, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

If Blache is tired of people asking questions about the pass rush, and does not want people to focus on only that part of the defense, then why did Danny Boy spill $100 million to get Haynesworth?

Posted by: richie_sheppard | August 30, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@dcsween -

You would agree then, that the appropriate response to the standard question is the standard answer, right?

Blache's response was out of line and frankly I can only speculate that the source of his defensiveness over pass rush questions is guilty conscience.

When the obvious issue with the defense from the previous season appears to manifest itself in the pre-season of the current season, I think it is entirely appropriate to raise the question.

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Blache just did what every single professional coach in every sport has always wanted to do good for Blache to have the stones to do it.

Was it appropriate or necessary, no, but I bet every coach with Blache's number sent him text telling how it was the best interview with a coach they have ever seen.

If you want nice and cuddly defensive coordinators become a fan of the CFL.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | August 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Double G was also known to snap at a reporter from time to time. I think Blatche should apologize to Matich though. He went over the line.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 31, 2009 2:52 AM | Report abuse

No. Trevor Matich has always been smarmy & obnoxious. He intentionally asked a loaded question and Blatche wasn't having it. Sure, Greg's a grizzled old jerk, but I was so happy when he shut Trevor up. Hopefully this escalates throughout the season, until Matich isn't around anymore.

I'm bored with watching a sorry, bitter LONG. SNAPPER. rip on everyone he envies in the NFL. He sounds like all these football geniuses who talk trash about Campbell on the interweb.

And yes commenters, why didn't we have 6 sacks in the first quarter?? We gotta show off every single one of our new stunts and blitz packages. By all means, let's blow our wad in the preseason. "Morons. I've got morons on my team."

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | August 31, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't want a nice cuddly defensive coordinator at all. What I want is one who takes out his frustrations on his players, holds them accountable while providing a defense that produces sacks and turnovers.

Maybe a defense can be successful without these things in the CFL, but I wouldn't know.

Again, asking the coach to assess the part of his unit that was weakest after the 3rd pre-season game is far from unreasonable.

Posted by: keino83 | August 31, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he was irked because pass rush seems to be on everyone's minds when:

1. There wasn't any time to get to Brady, since Hall/Smoot/Tryon were 15 yards off their wideouts and Brady could release the ball to his first look most of the time, and

2. The Pats are the best offense in football with Brady in there, and

3. They aren't showing anything special to deal with him, and

4. The real question should have been "where was the rollover coverage for Moss?"

...watch the game again. You aren't going to get pressure on a qb that throws to his first target everytime.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | August 31, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

keino83 = Trevor Matich

Posted by: P00P | August 31, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

gb810 = greg blache

Posted by: Barno1 | August 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I personally am tired of Blache, period. We have had great Defense Coordinators here in the past and Blache is not one of them. He plays not to lose instead of to win. How many times last year after we had a slight win going into the 4th qtr. and he pulls out the Prevent Defense. Our players are better than that and if he can't realise it than he needs to go.

Posted by: sdavey1 | August 31, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

This was really overblown, wasn't it? Looked like it started in good humor, but ended up mildly angry. I actually think this shows that Matich isnt really well liked.

Posted by: jesstyr | August 31, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Trevor Matich did nothing wrong by asking that question. Get a pass rush on the QB Mr. Blache and these questions will not be asked. Why should Trevor Matich have to answer a question that you are paid to take care of Mr. Blache? Sounds to me like Mr. Blache may feel that he will be asked this question a lot this year and is drawing a line in the sand now. For all of us Redskins fans, I hope not!

Posted by: BeltwayBoy | August 31, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Better buckle up Blatche...your thin skin is showing....You have handled questions before admirably...We understand you get tired of the same questions but they are going to continue particularly if the defensive line falters which it will at times....

Lighten up coach, the media's job is to ask questions, which they do after every game.

The coach has a press conference after every game and gets the same questions..if he blows like you did the whole team is in trouble....

Posted by: pentagon40 | August 31, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

If the D line is lousy against the Giants Blatche better run for the locker room because not only Matich will be asking questions but the network announcers will be on his tail..and then Danny Boy.....

Posted by: pentagon40 | August 31, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

First: who gives a rats a** about Trevor Matich and his questions. Blache was semi-rude, and whats the big deal? Ohhhh, he should be "professional"? is that it? some of you didn't like the Blache was perturbed and a little upset? some of you didn't like that he threw a question back at ol' Trev? Grow a frickin pair. Maybe if Trevor asked intelligent, well-thought out questions, instead of the same recycled garbage that requires no insight, Blache would never have thrown a pass back at him. If you don't like it, then don't watch Blache's postgame interviews. Anyone of you guys would likely have blown your lid long before Blache did.... why? Because he is busting his a** all week to gameplan for the next game, and every day he has to come out and answer hundreds of questions, many of them moronic. On top of that, everyone in this country feels like they know football top to bottom and should be a coach themselves, and fail to recognize that many of us don't know jack squat. I digress, if anyone of us were in his spot, I guarantee we would have made some comments out of frustration and annoyance, especially when they are coming from people who couldn't hold your jock strap. So, put up or shut up. Blache is going to take care of this D. Ya know why we never got pressure in the past? because we did not have the personnell. For the first time in many years, it seems like we do. So all you whiners, shut up and go home and dont watch. Stop being made of plastic and getting offended at everything.

Posted by: marleyb313 | September 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

*first was written erroneously.

Posted by: marleyb313 | September 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

And the media deserves NOTHING. they don't deserve to be catered to. There is no reason that any coach has to "pretend" he or she is interested in the questions.

Posted by: marleyb313 | September 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse