Haynesworth Describes His Hit On Brady

Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth chased Tom Brady from Friday's game with a pretty solid hit, landing hard on the golden boy quarterback. Asked about the hit after the game, Haynesworth was his typical self: quiet, reserved, considered and witty.

"I mean, it wasn't like I was hitting Gisele or something; he's the quarterback. It was good, it was fine," Haynesworth said. "I mean, I was trying to tackle him, but I wasn't trying to hurt him. I'm not that type of a player, you know? I'm actually a big Tom Brady fan. I'm a big Patriots fan. I've always like the Patriots, I've always liked Coach Belichick. I just like the way [Brady] is."

Belichick was also typical Belichick after the game, saying Brady "has some bumps and bruises like everybody else that played in the game." Still, any injury to Brady is in a sense a blow to the NFL, so I asked Haynesworth whether he was worried about the severity of Brady's injury.

"I hope he's all right," the tackle said. "If I had to hit him again, I would hit him again. That's my job, that's what they brought me here to do. But as far as trying to hurt somebody, I'm not trying to do that, especially that time, because I like that team. When you step back from football, I've always liked the Patriots. I don't know why. It's just something about them. I've always liked the Patriots."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 29, 2009; 12:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Tony Plush's Broken Hand
Next: Colt Brennan Feels the Love

Comments

Harder, harder.
Hit him again, hit him again.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

After he hit him, he extended his hand to Brady to help him back up.

Hit him, help him back up, then hit him again.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 29, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I thought he hated all the other teams.

Posted by: Hobes | August 29, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully he's still head-stomping mad at players with big blue stars on them...

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

"I've always liked the patriots", what the hell are you talking about? you better earn your money son. You certainly haven't impressed anyone so far (one hit wonder), not like that young kid from Texas showing you up. Rule number one: don't come to DC and praise another QB or another team. This is Skins territory. You need to step up.

Posted by: tony28 | August 29, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Amazing reading comments like tony28's. One hit wonder? Kid from Texas showing you up? If you know anything about football you know Haynesworths job is to take on double teams, create havok, and free up the other d linemen. This guy has been in all of two preseason games on a limited basis but you can still see the destruction he brings. When he praises another NFL player it's out of respect. He also said it's my job to hit him and I would do it again. So I think he is earning his money "son". Let the freaking season get here first before giving us your EXPERT opinion.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | August 29, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Right on clwalker1906! Love the way you think!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 29, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

It was nice to see a push up the middle ...very noticible and the skins #1 defense took a toll on the offense as the game progressed. I'm happy for JC!! I want him to prove me wrong. KEEP IT UP JC!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | August 29, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

"but I wasn't trying to hurt him. I'm not that type of a player, you know?"

Seriously?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 29, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

No he was not trying to hurt him,seriously.He was just trying to smash him.YEA BUDDY!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 29, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

more like that...

Our DE STINK! Haynesworth is doing his job the others STINK INCLUDING THE SECONDARY!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | August 29, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.and and um maybe if your lucky Tom Brady will send you and autograph Haynesworth. Jeeze.

Posted by: gawnpostal | August 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"I've always liked the patriots"

Hundred mil or not you better figure out real quick which team you are playing for buddy. Dallas is public enemy #1, but we don't like the patsies too much either. Going around praising them like that is probably not a good idea. The mob is fickle.

Posted by: bogardp | August 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony28 | August 29, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Actually he has impressed me and plenty of other people "so far". And it's kinda hard to be a "one hit wonder" when you are a TWO-time 1st team All Pro.

Seriously folks, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't feel compelled to post a comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

You guys dont understand. Hes saying hes always liked the patriots because hes not trying to put out any bulletin board material. Haynesworth is a SMART man you think he really gives a hoot about the patriots? He just knows how the media is. if he would have said ONE wrong word his words would be all over espn and espn would portray him as public enemy number1 for even thinking about saying something negative about there favorite's tom brady bill belicheck and the patriots!

Posted by: kevinkonate21 | August 29, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse