Jason Campbell's Conversation With Favre

(2007 photo by Preston Keres - TWP)

Since their families live in the same Mississippi neighborhood, during his one or two yearly visits home, Jason Campbell will occasionally stop by Brett Favre's place to do a little fishing.

"I always ask when I'm down there, just because it's private, I don't want to be bothering him," Campbell said Thursday. "But when I'm home, me and my dad kind of go out there and fish."

This year, Campbell mom and girlfriend tagged along, and they were all getting ready to leave when Favre rolled up. And so instead of leaving, they all sat around for an hour or so and talked, as ESPN.com's Matt Mosley reported earlier this week. They talked about the area's upcoming high school football stars. They talked about how Campbell's dad had been a substitute teacher for Favre's daughter last year--"He was talking about how nice [Favre's] daughter was, how down to earth she was," the younger Campbell recalled. And Favre talked about Campbell's unusual offseason, and how the younger quarterback should respond.

"We were all out there just chilling. We didn't even talk about anything with him coming back; we just talked about everything that happened with me this offseason," Campbell said. "We were just talking about the whole situation, everything that went down. I'm not gonna get into what we talked about, but he was just giving me advice....Just talking, shooting the breeze about stuff, throwing out ideas."

In fact, Campbell said he talked to about a half-dozen NFL QBs in the offseason, and all of their advice was fairly similar.

"It was all positive, all good advice," he said. "Some of them said there were things that they had gone through early in their career, when they're going through different changes. Every time you go through a change, everyone wants to change you and mold you into the person they want you to be, and it's tough. It's tough when you're not running the same offense, but they were like, 'The more and more you're in the same offense, the more and more your abilities come out, and the more and more the guys around you get it too.'

"They were just talking about staying positive, not letting it get to you, understanding the nature of the NFL business or any professional business. Always keep pushing forward, and understand that at the end of the day, people are gonna mold you and change you, accept it, but at the same time don't forget about some of the things that made you who you are."

More importantly, I wondered, had Favre fed him the line about being the toilet paper being flushed down the toilet.

"No no no, that was just something I thought of myself," Campbell said.

And why doesn't Favre ever visit the Campbell ranch in the offseason?

"I ain't got that kind of money," Campbell said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 20, 2009; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Strasburg = Slothburg
Next: Phil Daniels and His Knee Liquid

Comments

I can't stand Etan Thomas

Posted by: cj658 | August 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Tavaris Jackson could use a similar talk now.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand Etan Thomas

Posted by: cj658 | August 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what this is about, where this came from, or why you posted it here.... But I agree with it 100%.

I, too, can't stand Etan Thomas

Posted by: Barno1 | August 20, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record

Jason Campbell - is definitely - not - an NFL quarterback

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"They talked about how Campbell's dad had been a substitute teacher for Favre's daughter last year--"

Okay, I see where JC says he doesn't have Favre money, but seriously, substituting? Why is his father substitute teaching? I understand wanting to keep busy, but that's a pretty thankless job. Was he a teacher earlier on at the school?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 20, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I really want Campbell to do well but Snyder and co are such scumbags that they'll prevent him from realizing his potential somehow. Really, could the skins have a worse owner. He has screwed up this team royally and then some.

Posted by: nadeemsx | August 21, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 20, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all agree to hate Duke, and stay classy.

Also - dashes - are - not - commas. S-o-r-r-y.

Posted by: M__N | August 21, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Did Matt Mosley from ESPN nfc east blog still this news from you? This was posted 8.20 @ 1:57pm EST. This - http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-13-134/Guess-who-Jason-Campbell-turned-to-.html - was posted 8.20 @ 5:10pm EST.
Guys, someone stand up to that dbag and tell him to stop reporting your news like it was his. The nerve! However, if this is just some sort of lumped news that was handed out in an interview or something, it's fair game I guess.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 21, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I didn't read the article before I posted.
Sorry.