Jason Campbell's SI Cover

Just waiting for Wine Spectator and Natural Horse Magazine to do their pieces on the Redskins' quarterback situation. According to the promotional e-mail from SI, Peter King and Jim Trotter write that Jason Campbell "might be under the harshest spotlight of any NFL player as training camps open across the country. In the off-season the Skins pursued Jay Cutler and showed interest in Mark Sanchez, and as the fifth-year quarterback walked onto the practice field the name of yet another available quarterback popped up. At least two fans were wearing Falcons number 7 jerseys, and behind a fence near the practice field a DC WANTS VICK sign waved in the crowd."

Ok, look, that all may be true (though I saw one Falcons Vick and one Tech Vick, and they were together), and I did my part to help publicize the D.C. Wants Vick kid, a college freshman, but one teenager with a sign doesn't necessarily connote a tidal wave of anti-Campbell sentiment. How about Antonio Pierce, in the harsh spotlight category? Or heck, how about a top overall draft pick like JaMarcus Russell?

Either way, this is a great quote in SI from Campbell:

"I am fine now, but there were a couple of times in the off-season I felt like a piece of tissue they were flushing down the toilet."

So the question, I guess, is what a sort of negative-y cover means in Jinx terms. Does the jinx apply to Campbell, or to the harsh spotlight? Or to the toilet paper.

UPDATE: Two more passages:

"There's such great admiration for him around the team," says tight end Chris Cooley. "Nobody in this building doesn't want Jason to play great this year, go 8-2 in his first 10 games and force Dan to give him a huge contract." Says Snyder, "I do too! I want a franchise quarterback. I'd love for Jason to be that guy."

Also, Jim Zorn told Peter King that late last season, he couldn't call slow-developing plays "because I knew we couldn't protect Jason."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 4, 2009; 2:17 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Faces of Zorn: The Trout Face
Next: Training Camp Photos

Comments

Huntin' is legal.

Posted by: rdpinva | August 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

DEB-O-NAIR

Posted by: inchesfromyourface | August 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the harsh spotlight. But, I do agree, there are other folks under pretty insane pressure going into this year.

Posted by: rawk | August 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Guy's never had a deep threat, give him a break. I would love to have seen sanchez or a guy with a big arm like cutler crumble without anyone but cooley to pass to in this system, and that's coming from a lifelong fan. Dan snyder is awful

Posted by: wca4a | August 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If I tried to flush a piece of tissue, the SI jinx would apply to my toilet.

Posted by: evwill | August 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Last I checked Santana Moss was a pretty viable deep threat throughout the league...

Posted by: hender_22 | August 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

JC must think that the jinx doesn't apply to him, since he has been a jinx his whole career.....

Posted by: ENJOYA | August 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Face it folks, Jason is not very bright and a little slow to be a nfl top flite qb. Athletic ability -average, nfl quarterback ability - below average. The guy has been trained to act like a robot on the football field whether he was at Auburn, with 2 top 5 nfl pick running backs, and 4 players in the top ten behind him or with Joe Gibbs crew. Joe Gibbs fell in love with this guy, because he was a christian, just like Joe did with washed up Marc Brunell and thought he could make both of them HOF players. Brunell was a bust and this guy is on his way to another 8-8 season and then a swift kick out of town. Oh, don't tell me he won a championship at Auburn because I saw the game his junior year at Auburns when USC came to town and destroyed Campbell and demoralized all those top Auburn nfl picks. Also, Jason has been in the league 5 years and accomplished nothing. Two rookies qb's with horrible teams entered the league last year and performed better than Campbell has ever in his entire career. Enough with this whiner and his excuses. Open the qb competition at redskin park and Colt Brennan or Collins will have Jason carrying a clipboard this season, again.

Posted by: matrixcl55 | August 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Now it is guaranteed that Campbell will be benched/replaced in the line up by week three :). I will continue to say, the guy doesn't have it and Snyder should get some credit for making a smart decision for once. Just think, Denver took Kyle freakin Orton over the "strong armed prototypical QB" in Jason Campbell. BWAAAH

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | August 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree....Campbell needs to be replaced. I cant believe we are going to blow one more season seeing what this guy can do for us. Enough already! Hes not gonna do squat!

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | August 4, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"Face it folks, Jason is not very bright..."

As opposed to that rocket scientist, Dan Marino.

Seriously, on what basis are you coming to that conclusion? Had a single conversation with the guy? Seems like a sharp fellow, and plenty smart enough to be playing QB.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Pretty viable" is exactly how I'd want to be described on the depth chart if I was a #1 in the league. give me a break, We should have signed to

Posted by: wca4a | August 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I must admit my support of Campbell is more about liking the person more so than the player. He hasn't done anything to justify Snyder and Cerrato not exploring getting Cutler or Sanchez. Both guys are first round picks unlike our overrated 3rd string QB with all of his little fanboys thinking he's going to reinvent the QB position. I hope JC does well, but it's put up or shut up time for him. Colt Stinks and Hail to the Redskins.

Posted by: moseley_brian | August 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

You people are lost. No QB is gonna thrive with no protection and 1 receiver. Do you want to replace Portis too? Cuz his production dropped off when the line went down as well. No, because you're so caught up on bashing Campbell, you can't see the forest through the trees. And enough about Ryan and Flacco. THEY took their teams to the playoffs? Do you WATCH football. Flacco was along for the ride. Compare his numbers to Campbell's. Campbell was better.

As for USC beating Auburn. C'mon. Does that mean every player on every team that loses a game to a better team in college is awful? That's basically what you're saying.

Posted by: CJHutch7673 | August 4, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Great, my guess is he snaps his leg by Friday. Thanks SI!!

Posted by: Gweez | August 4, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse