Marko Mitchell is Lanky Livingston

Lanky. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

As you might have noticed, Fred Davis celebrated his first professional touchdown with the Stanky Leg. As you probably didn't notice, Marko Mitchell celebrated his first professional touchdown by flashing double Ls with both hands as he ran toward the Redskins sideline.

"When I first met him, he looked like his name was supposed to be Lanky Livingston," Fred Smoot explained. "That's why he held up that LL. I named him Lanky Livingston."

(Seriously, was there any doubt that Fred Smoot was going to be involved in this? No, is the answer.)

Anyhow, Mitchell didn't do much in the way of a celebration when he caught the short fade from Chase Daniel for his touchdown Saturday night. As he ran toward the sideline, he saw Kareem Moore and Smoot and other defensive backs flashing the double Ls, so he responded in kind.

"They just came up with the symbol, so I was just like, 'I'll play along with it,' " Mitchell said. "I just realized when I was coming to the sidelines they were throwing up LLs and on top of that coach Jerry [Gray], he calls me LL anyway, so I just threw up the sign, too...From now on, that's my name, so I've got to throw it up whenever I do something."

We've written about this before, but Mitchell has become sort of the favorite punching bag of the defensive backs, jawing with Smoot, fighting with DeAngelo Hall and inspiring bets with Carlos Rogers. But it's some sort of tough love routine, just as coaches have openly praised Mitchell, the defensive backs all speak highly of the seventh-rounder out of Nevada.

"This guy's awesome," Smoot said. "He can play. I think why we love him is because he's scrappy. Two of us have already jumped on him, vets, [and] he fought us good and back, and we like that. We like that, man. Usually when a football player likes another football player, you mess with him....I think he's a guy that can step in and help us. He's a competitor, he's 6-4, he can run and he can catch, he fights for the ball. That's all you need, and play with some passion, and you can play in the NFL."

As for the scoring play, teammates said Mitchell and Malcolm Kelly have been staying after practice with a variety of quarterbacks to work on fade routes, and that paid off on the third-quarter red zone play, when Mitchell easily out-leaped his man for the ball.

"He gave me enough room to put it out there perfectly," Daniel said. "We've been working on this every day in practice. Marko's a 6-5 guy, I think it was probably a 6-1 corner, 6-2 corner, so he's gonna get up and be able to go get it. So you want to put some loft on the ball, and it was a great catch."

"I was telling everybody, 'I can get this guy,' and all of the sudden Chase called my number and threw it to me and I made the play on it," Mitchell said. "I'm happy right now, but at the same time, you just can't get high when you have a good night and all of the sudden come back the next week and not execute the way you did. I come out and put that in the past and come out here next week and do the same thing."

I asked Mitchell where he now stands in the race for a roster spot, and he gave the proper answer.

"I don't know, I don't worry about that," LL said. "A lot of people probably felt that I'm not that type of player, because I was drafted in the seventh round, this and that. Only thing I do, I just come out there and just show the people that even though I was drafted in the seventh round, I'm still a good player."

(And you might be wondering, what happened to that other nickname for Mitchell, Big Fase 100? That's actually his second nickname; Lanky Livingston was first.

"We added the Big Fase 100," Smoot said, "because his face was so big.")

(Also, Matt Mosley officially endorses Marko Mitchell for No. 5 receiver.)

(Also, Jim Zorn on Sunday singled Mitchell out for praise. "I thought that Marko Mitchell did a great job catching the ball, being aware, and picking his game up on the field," Zorn began, when asked about which young players had stepped up.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 24, 2009; 8:57 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Forget Strasburg, Sign Lerner
Next: Green Man and Leg Man at Nats Park

Comments

Seems to me that Mitchell is the #3 WR, not #5.

Posted by: Section104 | August 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Section104, you'd be right but the Skins cannot admit that they made major draft mistakes last summer. Why did Tryon make the squad last year? It sure wasn't based upon performance. And he still sucks in 09.

Devin Thomas-- good twisting catch early and then contributes to a pick by not coming back for a ball
Malcolm Kelly-- OK he's played well and would be the #3 in my book. But you've got to like Mitchell.

Skins are doing good things with 7th rd picks.

Posted by: calhokie | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

mitchell looked good and blocks downfield...Kelly and Thomas just don't get it and won't be in the league in 3 years. they just haven't figured out how to contribute.

Posted by: outrbnksm | August 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Redskins have finally drafted a WR that can play, I'm sure Cerrato will put him on the practice squad so another team can steal him.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 24, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The CONCERN would be a creep like Cerrato would do something to cover his azz and those DEADbeat picks of a year ago......to make sure he does not look bad when a no name comes in and blows those NO achievers away.....

Posted by: unc1dmo | August 24, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009"

Mebbe he's Lefty Dry-cell trying to egg on Maryland again ...

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

hclark1

Carolina's football team is lame so I dont understand why you bother coming on line with the same lame anti MD football post. Carolina basketball? Now thats something you could actually trash talk to MD fans about. Carolina football is lamer than MD's. It really is. And has been lame for years. Stop fooling yourself.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 24, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should just trade all our draft picks for 7th rounders!!! ;-)

Posted by: charley42 | August 24, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

You goober. Face not Fase....... I know all one hundred dollar bills have a fase?????

Posted by: punchdaclock | August 24, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Go Powder Puff Blue! I understand your powder pride!

Facts:

Maryland

9 ACC Championships
Last ACC Championship 2001

Duke

7 ACC Championships
Last ACC Championship 1989

North Carolina

5 ACC Championships
Last ACC Championship 1980

Maybe some day the Powder Puff Blue can catch the traditionally tough Duke program. Given the bar the Dukies set I don't know though.

Maybe then they can set their sights on the much loftier position of the Maryland program but I doubt you'll see that in your lifetime.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | August 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't really believe that some of you think that Cerrato has the pull to force the coaches to cut the supposed third best receiver! THEN, he has enough control to keep everybody quiet about it. By the way, he ALSO drafted Mitchell in the seventh round. That would make him the hero, not the goat...sorry.

Posted by: trinergy | August 24, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse