Morning Bog: Forget Strasburg, Sign Lerner
On a weekend filled with glorious local sporting events, I'm not sure I've seen more captivating images than these shots of Mark Lerner shagging flies at Nationals Pride. The shades, the wrist band, the cleats, the, um, full baseball uniform. Yeah.
Can you imagine what would happen if Ted Leonsis showed up at the Phone Booth in skates and gloves? Or Daniel Snyder in shoulder pads and eye black? Or Abe Pollin in a headband and short shorts?
Hey, it's his team, more power to him. I just want to know what Mike Rizzo's dad--who dinged Stephen Strasburg for never having put on a jock--would say about this. Actually, maybe I don't.
A few more links on the weekend that was, with help from Max Wasserman.
* The Washington Examiner's John Keim shreds Jeremy Bridges and Chad Rinehart, writing that Bridges "is a bad tackle, no other way to say it." (http://ow.ly/l2G5">Redskins Confidential)
* Before the Skins game, Ryan Clark responded to Washington's giveaway of 50,000 rally rags with this line: "We're still going to beat them." Whoops. (AP)
* Mike Lombardi: "Campbell has not made any progress this year, and Collins gives the 'Skins the best chance to win games right now." (National Football Post)
* Albert Haynesworth's jersey Saturday night was apparently too tight. (@980skinsbeat)
* Clinton Portis attempts to tackle Chris Cooley during an interview with Dave Feldman, who offers up a "Whoa!" in response. (Cooley Zone)
* Alex Ovechkin hangs out with scantily clad models and singers playing field hockey and stuff, and says his favorite English word begins with the letter F. (Puck Daddy)
* Nicklas Backstrom is in the process of building a 5500 square foot villa in Galve, Sweden--about two hours north of Stockholm. (A View From the Cheap Seats)
* Andray Blatche and Kevin Durant go at each other hard during the Goodman League all-star game. Durant winds up with 40, and Blatche winds up with 20, which seems about right. (The Baseline video, @dhellie, Inside_da_gates)
* Nick Young and JaVale McGee perform an ER skit that ends with McGee threatening to give Young mouth-to-mouth. (YouTube)
* Ryan Zimmerman blogs about Stephen Strasburg and the last month of the season: "It will wet our appetite and test our fortitude to play in front of large crowds for games that have huge significance." (Zim Blog)
* The Nats invite bloggers inside the ropes. Like sprouting mushrooms. (Wash Times)
* Mike Rizzo talked about his team-building priorities without saying anything. (Past a Diving Vidro)
* Strange green men at the Nats game Saturday night. We'll have more on this later. (Twitpic)
* Terrapins D-Line coach Dave Sollazo has a love-hate relationship with his visor. (Terrapin Trail)
* A look back at Michael Graham. (Hoya Paranoia)
* Jim Larranaga abandons Twitter: "For now it is time for me to devote all my time to our team. With so many young guys there is a lot of work ahead. So farewell to Twitter. As the Terminator said "I'll be back" I just don't know when. Thanks for following. Coach L." (@MasonCoachL)
* And Redskins rookie linebacker Robert Henson with two of the more depressing back-to-back NFL Tweets of all time: "I definetly know what it feels like now to be over looked! Great win tonight I just wish I could have helped!! I must really suck cause I didn't play!!" (@redskinslb58)
August 24, 2009; 7:11 AM ET
Categories: Caps , Nats , Redskins , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Colt Brennan Discusses His Interception
Next: Marko Mitchell is Lanky Livingston
Posted by: Max231 | August 24, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: sitruc | August 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.