Morning Bog: Portis on the Tabloids
Are there tabloids in D.C.? Have the tabloids been picking on a certain No. 26? Do blogs, message boards and sports-talk radio stations count as tabloids? Here was CP, talking to Larry Michael on ESPN 980 yesterday. The Redskins' Minister of Truth and Accuracy set up Portis with lines like "I've been a Clinton Portis supporter from the first day I met you" and "I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you hear Portis talk, he's just speaking his mind," and here was Portis's response.
"Man, I think the tabloids, the outside world, people looking for a reason for me to fall off," he said. "I think people get tired of consistency and tired of success, and when you're doing it for so long, they can't stand it. It's always a new guy who gonna step up, who gonna be next. And to see a guy do it consistently, as I have, I've been blessed to have the opportunity to go out and be myself and say the things that I say, and I've got to deal with those consequences. So I'm not here to please people, and they can think what they want to think. I think the guys around me, the people that really know me--as yourself--that see me every day, know the point that I'm trying to get across and know what I'm saying. For the outside world, they can deal with it how they deal with it."
More morning links, with help from Jake DiGregorio and Max Wasserman.
* The Nationals may have already shed their title as the league's worst team - by the numbers at least. (FanGraphs)
* "The Marlins might have struck rock bottom by not only losing to the lowly Nationals, but also losing in ways that defied description. The Nationals hadn't swept a series of three games or longer since the George W. Bush administration, but have now won five in a row." (Miami Herald)
* Concerning the trade of Anderson Hernandez (the eighth player traded or released this season) and the new era of accountability. (Nationals Pride)
* Speaking of, two Nats prospects were suspended for amphetamine use. (Nats.com)
* The Fun Bunch outfield stuff doesn't appear to include Josh Willingham. See photo.
* Jim Zorn wipes out during practice. (Redskins 360)
* Video of the Redskins playing dodgeball, with Colt Brennan taking one in the head. "Zorn seems to love it," Brennan said. "He could do that drill on the other side of the field, but he puts us smack in front of the fans, so everyone can oooh and ahhhh and make fun." (NBC Washington)
* Chris Cooley does a Diageo "responsibility matters" spot in a Borat accent. (The Cooley Zone)
* The nine most read sports stories on our site last week were all Redskins/NFL. (Just sayin')
* GW changes its athletics logo, using a much angrier image of George Washington. (Colonial Hoops)
* Snoop Dogg shows up at Ravens camp. Meanwhile, the Redskins are stuck with Tom Cruise. (Ravens Insider)
* The Mystics could be on pace to win another Attendance Champs banner. (Cheap Seats Daily)
* I was on the Joe Sports Fan podcast. (JSF)
Posted by: alex35332 | August 7, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: fushezzi | August 7, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: alex35332 | August 7, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kev29 | August 7, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | August 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: lois_kurowski | August 8, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.