Nyjer Morgan Likes the Nats Colors

(By Evan Vucci- AP)

Nyjer Morgan had one of the more enthusiastic answers I've ever heard when asked about being traded to a last-place team. Here's what he said about the issue on The Sports Fix with Loverro and Sheehan last week.

"I actually love it," Morgan said. "Just to wear that red white and blue, I think it's something special. And plus, I needed a different change of color anyway, because every team I played with in my career has always been either black or a solid dark color. So I finally got a chance to wear some red, so that's why I'm loving it. But I don't really think it's that bad of a team. I mean, we've got a solid offense, you know, got good young pitching coming up. I mean, [shoot], you've got all the pieces there, man. I mean, there's probably a couple pieces that they probably need to definitely get, but in my eyes, I think it's something special here."

The solid offense and good young pitching I've heard before, and it's all true. The something special about the red white and blue was a new one to me, but maybe the Lerners can try that one out on Boras. Three-point-five percent discount for snazzy team colors, or something.

Morgan, the much-discussed hockey fan and former minor leaguer also called Pittsburgh "the city of champions," and talked about arriving in Ovechkin's town.

"Oh, I think he's a helluva player," Morgan said. "Shoot, that's basically what the hockey world needed, definitely coming after that strike and everything, with Ovechkin and Crosby. Those two boys are something special. That's a special breed, just to be in that city and to able to watch a guy of that caliber."

Left unsaid: Ovechkin also wears red.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 5, 2009; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brendan Haywood Discusses His Sports Talk Show
Next: Morning Bog: David Gregory's Nats Jersey

Comments

Better Red then dead!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

If the Bullets.. sorry Zephyrs... sorry wizards. Could just get a clue and go to a Red uniform thing we would be set. Just take the weird gold uniforms and replace the gold color with red and run with it.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 5, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Dan
Was last night a Marlin's Fail?

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 5, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I heard that interview. He's got such a great personality. He kept saying "whadup!" Funny guy. Too bad he likes the Sharks. I think he will turn into a Caps fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 5, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

doesn't everyone not from the Wretched State of Pennsylvania love the Capitals?

Posted by: RedBirdie | August 5, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope everyone watched MASN last night, they had Morgan wired up... he's a riot. He even started gabbing about how great a slapshot he would have if he were a hockey player. Really!

The Caps need to get with Morgan to do something during the offseason...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | August 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I think he said in that interview that he is a San Jose Sharks fan. But I'm sure he can be converted to the Caps after watching Ovie a few times.

Posted by: poguesmahone | August 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Somebody in the marketing departments of the Nationals and Capitals have GOTTA put together a TV ad or a venue video of Ovie and Tony Plush together at a ballpark and on the ice.

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse