On Malcolm Kelly, Grills, Cows and Smiles

Kelly and Thomas. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

An hour or so after Friday night's game, Devin Thomas was standing in a pile of baby powder and holding forth to the media about, among other topics, his new grill.

"Just a grill," Thomas said, when asked to describe his facial bling. "A little Ocho Cinco style."

A few feet away, Malcolm Kelly observed the scene and chuckled.

"Devin a one of a kind type dude, man, you know what I'm saying?" Kelly said. "That's him. Don't let the grill scare you, though. He's really a little teddy bear behind that grill. Don't let it fool you now."

Kelly was smiling and laughing while saying this, two things he's been doing a lot of this summer. He's been friendly to the media since arriving in Ashburn last year, but he's been in full-on fat-kid-in-cake-store mode this year. I'm not the only one who's noticed; Kelly said that Daniel Snyder recently approached him with a similar observation.

"He said, 'Man, you're having fun now, you're enjoying yourself now, huh?' " Kelly recalled. "I was like, 'Yeah. You know? I am.' "

If you're wondering whether this means last year was no fun, yeah, that'd be one way of putting it. There were no public outbursts, and no meltdowns, but Kelly said he was fairly miserable throughout his rookie season.

"I'm not walking around with a frown like I did all last year," he said. "I couldn't stand it last year. Going to practice, practicing all week knowing that you're not going to play on the weekend, then on the weekend just going home and chilling at the house? It was kind of me against the world last year. So after the season, I said you know what, I'm gonna make my mind up and I'm gonna out a different dude next year. So I did it, and I'm pretty pleased."

Already this summer, Kelly has displayed his speed, like when he outran that Jason Campbell bomb on the first snap against the Steelers. And he's displayed the ability to initiate contact with defenders and get yards after the catch.

"A lot of times when DBs come to tackle you, man, DBs don't want to hit a receiver up top, especially a big receiver," he said. "So the first thing they're gonna think to do is act like they're gonna hit you up top and then try to get down low. Before they even get a chance to go down low I just try to get 'em out of the way," he said, smacking his hands together.

As for the grill? Don't expect to see one on Kelly any time soon.

"This rubber watch is about all you'll ever see me in," he said as he got ready to leave the locker room. "It was free. Nike contract....See, the jewelry and stuff, that's kind of just personal type stuff. I'm the type of dude, man, I grew up on acres of land with cows and dogs, so I'm a laidback country type. We used to breed cows for the longest, all that kind of stuff. Devin's from the inner city. I'm from the outer country. I've got a pond in front of my house, I sit there and go fishing. I'm a different type of dude, so I'm a whole lot more quiet and laid back. Devin is a little more rowdy than me. I guess that's why we complement each other."

(In more big WR news, Marko Mitchell was wearing a dark gray Nats hat in the locker room Friday night. One of the MASN 9,000? "It goes with my shoes," he explained.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 31, 2009; 12:34 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Help Translate Alex Ovechkin's Tattoo!
Next: Trevor Matich Reflects on Greg Blache Incident

Comments

Any publicity is good publicity I guess, even if it did just go with his shoes. Go Nats.

Posted by: NatMeg | August 31, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

That's awesome that Devin Thomas bought a new grill. What kind is it? Let me know when the first cookout is and I'll bring the burgers and hot dogs.

-Middle aged suburban white guy

Posted by: Barno1 | August 31, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Greg Blache's act is getting old. He can't handle basic questions and comments like where he claimed his safety was better than Polamalu..come on. If our safeties made the game changing plays that Polamalu has made in his short career then this whole offseason where Blache's defense was looked at hard because they didn't make the big plays would never have happened. Blache hates to blitz and thats one of the big reasons his defenses will never be great. They'll be good, but he'll never have the kind of D that gets 7 or 8 sacks in a game, ever.

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 31, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

it's over Niiiiiiinnneeee Thhhhoooouuuusssaaaanddddd?!?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | August 31, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

You had me until you made the comment above. How many teams ever get 7 or 8 sacks in a game? Maybe happens once or twice a year, and when it does, it's usually a random defense that gets it, not the Steelers or Ravens etc.

The fans who care about number of sacks, style points, etc... are geeks. Real fans care about how many points our team gives up, not how many sacks we get.

The Redskins defense has been top 10 in 4 out of the 5 years that Greg Blache has been Defensive Coordinator here and been top 5 on several occasions. To most fans, that's not a "good" D...that's a "great" D.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 31, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow must have been a slow media day. Imagine how happy he'd be if they actually caught a touchdown pass and weren't being outplayed by freeagent pick up Marko Mitchell. skins looked decent the other nite against the patriots but when the real bullets start flying I'm guessing they won't be smiling and grilling too much.

It's a shame the post doesn't cover more of the best NFL team in the DMV and get's stuck pimping the danny's weak product. At least fast forward to Cap's season already.

Posted by: jdb70 | August 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

" ... Already this summer, Kelly has displayed his speed, like when he outran that Jason Campbell bomb on the first snap against the Steelers. ..."

NICE!

[Though I suspect that the Campbell moaner crowd at the Redskins Insider blog would beg to differ about the runner vs. the delivery.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Rubber watch vs. "Bling"... sums up a lot of things.

I like Malcolm Kelly. Dude knows what "keeping it real" actually means.

Posted by: johnvandermyde | August 31, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

I think the Steelers had 7 sacks against us last year actually,... but I get your point.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 31, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I did say "usually" but yeah, you're right they did have a 7 sack game vs us last year. I tried to find the stat for most team sacks in a game for last year but came up empty.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 31, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Outer country..." very nicely out, Mr. Kelly.

Posted by: fitzfacts | September 1, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse