Portis to His Critics: 'Check My Paperwork'

Clinton Portis is in the odd position of being at once the Redskins' most popular and famous player, and having the biggest disrespect complex in the team's locker room. Who exactly, besides Brian Mitchell, has been disrespecting Portis? Jason La Canfora? Mike from Rockviille? ChRiS LaRRy? Anyhow, whoever it is, Portis has a message for you:

"I think it's eatin' 'em up to still see me doing it," Portis told NBC Washington's Dan Hellie. "You really just can't say nothing to me, there's nothing you can say that's gonna have me low and down in the dumps. I can tell you check my paperwork. You know, just look at the paperwork, look at my stats, look at my grind, look at everything I've accomplished at 28, and I'm not even 28 yet. So you take the one year away that I got hurt, I'd be over 10,000 yards already."

Whatever your feelings about his defensiveness, check my paperwork is a great athlete line. Unless you're named Smiley Gonzalez.

"I don't think there's a harder back in the game when it comes to the grind, or the blocking, or doing the extra," Portis also argued. "I think when I'm on the field my energy level is better than anybody in the game. That's the way I'm gonna always feel. I'm gonna go out and I'm gonna give everything I've got for this team and this organization and my teammates, and when I can't do it no more, I'll walk away."

In other highlights, Portis said he'd pick Tom Brady first in his fantasy league, that he would be a surfer if he weren't in the NFL, that Jim Zorn would be an architect since "he built all the little tents," and that if he could be with any woman for a day, he would choose Alicia Keys.

"Me and Alicia Keys in Cabo, sun setting, and she's got a piano out on the beach, playing a good tune to me," he said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 6, 2009; 2:09 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Dunn Used to Play Shortstop
Next: A Few More Words About Tony Plush

Comments

Great CL shoutout.

Posted by: Lindsay_Applebaum | August 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, get his name right. It's chRis larRy.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I believe the correct usage is "F chRIs laRRy"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 6, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

... It's chRis larRy.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 6, 2009 2:37 PM

Someone needs to check back into editor training camp on the capitalization. You can't spell chRIs lArrY without the "RI".

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was a slam at his old arch nemmisis, dr. gonna getchya

Posted by: alex35332 | August 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

F ChriS LaRrY!

He hates babies!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Portis, some of the guests are becoming alarmed ... kindly re-sheathe your grind."

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Dan how is Bog traffic any time you mention Chris Larry? Vs Nats FAIL?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Dan how is Bog traffic any time you mention Chris Larry? Vs Nats FAIL?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the same interview he did with Kelly and Larry Michael. He has said the same thing in each interview.....

Portis for MVP of the LEague....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Clinton the only paperwork to check is you getting a hotel room near Dulles airport for you and Mr Snyder. Can't believe he makes you pay for the hotel room after you two got caught and almost charged w/lewd behavior back in that subdivision under construction off the parkway.

And Clinty my boy how's about those pictures of you wearing that pearl necklace that Danny Boy deposited on you.

What have you done in the playoffs little boy? I don't see a Super Bowl ring punk!

Tell you what Clinty if you rush for over 1200 yards and make it to NFC Conference Finals i write a check for $50k to your favorite charity. If you don't you put the video of you and Danny Boy going at it on You TUbe.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | August 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Portis is in good company looking for Alica Keys.

He's behind Bob Dylan and me btw.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bonita is back.
Hail Bonita!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I am not WoRtHy...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... I don't recall ever being disrespectful towards Clinton Portis. I sort of like they guy, though I do miss all the funny characters he used to play. Oh, wait, you said "Mike FROM Rockville"... different guy.

Posted by: mikeinrockville | August 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis ready to go "boinga"

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Nats are now 500 since the manager change. Take a hint snyder! Some times when the teams not doing as good as it should fire the manager.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

CP's the best. "Gotta love me"

On another note. I want to hear about them Nats in your bog soon. 5 in a row is not to shabby.......

Posted by: punchdaclock | August 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Ditto on Alicia Keys, shewiee!!

Posted by: frak | August 6, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Portis should be hoping for Anetta Keys.

Posted by: larrypalma | August 6, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Alicia Keys is one fine azz... shut your mouth!

Posted by: tommycat | August 7, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Ok-Clinton-I'll check your paperwork, which includes at least 2 dropped passes a game, blocking when not called upon, averaging 2.8 yards a carry over a 7 game stretch, fumbling away games against Baltimore and San Fran, and having no breakaway speed....How delusional can one player become?

Posted by: Kohlrums | August 7, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is the best Redskin halfback since Larry Brown. Besides being an explosive back who knocks people on their a$$es, he loves to block and he knocks people on their butts without the ball just as effectively. The best thing about Portis is that he's no flash in the pan. He's the real deal.

Posted by: mattfromsomd | August 7, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

omarthetentmaker

Seeing that you are some unknown blogger talking about clinton portis and Clinton is like not thinking about you and making a few million dollars a year doing what he loves I would say clinty has one up on you. Stop hating.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Portis is using a much too used term "Great" back. Best of all he's weird aka John Riggins "the greatest one" Portis is just what we need and frankly anyone playing a kids game for millions a year should "shut up and play" no one cares about being a flake just be one, if you worry about it your weird, that people worry about. have fun for god's sake.

Posted by: tammanyhall2109 | August 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

That got pretty misogynistic at the end there.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 9, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse