Second-Year Receiver Report Card

Not discouraged. (By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

Washington's trio of second-year receivers will continue to be one of the primary focuses of the preseason, and they delivered sort of mixed results against the Ravens. Malcolm Kelly, coming off an injury -plagued rookie year, had three catches for 25 yards. Fred Davis, little-used as a rookie, had two catches for 17 yards on the same second-quarter drive, but fumbled both, recovering one and losing one to Baltimore. Devin Thomas was targeted three times, had one grab for 12 yards, and was not pleased with the bagel on the scoreboard.

"Really, I just want to apologize to all the Redskins Nation out there, who got a chance to see us for the first time this year and we didn't put nothing on the board for 'em," Thomas said. "All I can say is for them to look to the upcoming side of things. It's preseason, and we're gonna get better as the weeks go on."

We'll take 'em one at a time. Davis said he had never fumbled two times in a game, at least not in his memory. He could only remember one fumble in his entire college career off the top of his head, one that came against Stanford. He said Coach Jim Zorn and tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim both talked to him on the sideline after the second fumble, telling him to move on.

"I made a couple mistakes today; that's something that normally doesn't happen," he said. "Get it out of the way now. I'd rather have it happen now than during the season. I made good catches, it's just finishing the play....It's over with. I can't dwell on that because I know I'm a better player than that. I've just got to get on to the next one, next week, and hold on to the ball."

"He was the most shocked guy on the field," Zorn said. "I haven't seen him fumble the ball once all training camp, and he was sort of shell-shocked, fumbling twice. So does it make me lose confidence in him? No. I think it's a tremendous learning situation of how ball security is so important."

Kelly, meantime, overcame the hurdle of facing live action for the first time since Dec. 7, after sitting out Washington's final three games a year ago. He ended last year with three catches and equaled that total against Baltimore, but was most encouraged by what he felt from his knee: nothing.

"After that first hit, I decided I was all right and I was like, "Ok, we can get going,' " he said. "In practice when I run routes, I'm a lot more confident, so I'm not favoring it now as opposed to last year. I'm a totally different player than last year and I still have a long way to go....I could have did a lot better; even some of the balls I caught, the depth on my routes weren't where it was supposed to be. They were still first downs, but they still weren't where I was supposed to be. So there's a lot of room for improvement."

Thomas also missed a major opportunity; a screen was thrown behind him, though he said he wasn't in the correct place.

"I ended up rushing it because I actually came in too fast, so I caught [Todd Collins] offguard," he said. "It was beautiful blocking. It was probably a home run."

Still, Zorn said he was mostly pleased with both of the wide receivers, saying their hands and routes are better, but they need to improve their comfort level.

"I'll tell you what they remind me of, they remind me of what Santana Moss was early in the offense a year ago," he said. "You know, they're doing the right things but they don't feel the freedom to use their speed yet, where they're really messing with the defender....As they do more and more routes, they'll be feeling more comfortable, then all the sudden you'll see them flash and our offense is really going to take off."

And in fact, all three receivers sort of talk of themselves as a group, following their disappointing debuts a year ago.

"I mean, this is what we want to do, we want to be out there together making plays," Thomas said. "We're gonna be all right. We're heading in the right direction."

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 14, 2009; 12:12 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins (Preseason) Uniform Fail (UPDATED)
Next: MASN Announcing Crew Rips Scott Boras

Comments

First!

Posted by: DrJ88 | August 14, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone really believe this will happen? Our offense will "take off"? I'm a Zorn fan, but that sounds like a coach who is reaching for some hope after his offense just put up a donut...

Posted by: DrJ88 | August 14, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Dude... We are so screwed this year. I could hear a loud sucking sound all the way out here in CA every time the Redskins offense took the field.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 14, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

8-8 this year. The offense looked terrible. I didn't think the O Line did a great job. They did OK but I saw JC get hit or rushed a lot. Still they did better than I thought they would but we'll see. The 2nd/3rd team O Line didn't look good at all. Colt didn't have much time nor did he have any open receivers.

Receivers were below average. Running backs below average. D line below average. We can stop the run and we got no real sacks. We have no speed at line backer. Orakpo didn't play linebacker so....Special Teams looked awful.

8-8 at best. It is going to be another long, disappointing season.

Can you believe the Eagles singed Vick? I was hoping that no one would sign that savage but the NFL and Eagles proved that athletisim and winning outweigh conscience, ethics and morality.

Posted by: neil64 | August 14, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

I've been going in the right direction in my life for the last 20 years and I think when my life really gets going its all going to come together and I am going to start being a winner I tell ya. Stop making mistakes!Coach says you're doing good but ya gotta stop making mistakes.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 14, 2009 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Neil64,
This is Washington DC.
"NFL and Eagles proved that athletisim(sic) and winning outweigh conscience, ethics and morality."
I repeat Neil 64.This is Washington, DC.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 14, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Highlight of last night- Kelly's catch from Collins on 3rd and 5. Great catch.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 14, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

What no pix of me in my vintage Bobby Mitchell #49 jersey? Bummer. I wear the
Charley Taylor # 42 next game. No other Redskin receiver can compete with these two gentlemen and that included Monk who deosn't even come close!

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | August 14, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

If I hear one more person mention that Campbell has been in 7 different offenses in 9 years I am going to scream! Enough with the Campbell excuses. He should have played the entire half like Brady...he is NOT that valuable to worry about losing him to injury. How long are we going to coddle this "very average" quarterback?

Posted by: MPNangle | August 14, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, you guys realize this is the first preseason game....right?

Jeez, settle down.

Posted by: fushezzi | August 14, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

this offense has done nothing for years...there was nobody on the field last night who could make a play.

regarding the trio of 2nd year players and add the CB to the list to make it four - nothing. One's out of position on a play designed for him...two fumbles...very little blocking downfield for the running backs..and a DB who can't cover a slant..at some point in time, it will be necessary to move on.

Posted by: outrbnksm | August 14, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle

I agree brotha!JC and the whole first string needs to play as much as possible..

Posted by: elj220 | August 14, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Comfort level for the 2nd rounders what the ..? 7th rounder in the same draft Justin Harper was available and Justin looked pretty comfortable. Vinny needs to see more Virginia Tech games and stop ignoring people like Eddie Royal, Justin and Vick.

Posted by: jercha | August 14, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@ omarthetentmaker: Monk was the man. Dissin him doesn't make everyone else better.

@ fushezz: it was the preseason for Colts, err Raven too, so it was comparable. Either way it would've been nice to see some results.

Posted by: bentoenail | August 14, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

REMEMBER OSAKA!!!

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 14, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

If mid September comes and we're still playing like this - which isn't really possible since the 3rd stringers wont be playing, Hagans will be cut and Kelly will be on IR - then I'll start to worry. Until then.....

Posted by: fushezzi | August 14, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 14, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 14, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Please go find another sport to root for as you clearly no next to nothing about the NFL. Pre season means ABSOLUTELY nothing. As long as you don't lose key starters to injury, the pre season is simply meaningless. You want to judge our team when they didn't have their star running back, their star wide receiver, their star o-lineman, their 100 million dollar superstar d-lineman, their top cornerback?

Give me a break. Get a clue, and until then don't comment on pro football.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

That should have read: "Please go find another sport to root for as you clearly KNOW next to nothing about the NFL"

Posted by: Barno1 | August 14, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Good job, Barno1.
It's good to see at least a few people know how to measure the pre-season.

Posted by: pgugino | August 14, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hclark t-bags butch davis

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 14, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Hclark didn't even go to UNC. That much is obvious.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 14, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fan = Shortest memories on the face of the earth

Osaka, Japan - August, 2002

Redskins 38 - 49ers 7

Spurrier led Redskins dominated the pre-season by averaging 32+ points per game and blowing away their competition. (The rest of the Spurrier era...not so good)

PRE SEASON MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Posted by: Barno1 | August 14, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bentoenail | August 14, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Little boy,

Please Monk had it easy as a receiver with the NFL rules at the time.

You do know Mr Mitchell was the first African American player on the Redskins right? And Monk could never crack back as good as Mr Taylor.

Monk can't compare with receivers back in 60's and early 70's. NFL rule changes made playing wide receiver during Monk's era a piece of cake. Its even more foo foo now. Girls like Owens, Oche Cinco would have never made it back for their second year!

Just like Clinton Portis isn't in the smae league and never will be as Larry Brown! Mr Brown never serviced the owner!

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | August 15, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse