The Best Post-Strasburg Sign

I continue to believe there is an 85 percent (in honor of Lastings) chance that Stephen Strasburg signs by midnight tonight. But if not, tomorrow immediately becomes the most interesting home Nats game of the season. What will be the reaction from fans? Wrath and indignation directed at ownership? At Scott Boras? At Stephen Strasburg? At the whole lot of them? Paper bags on the head? Paper bags filled with fake dollar bills? Half-smoke induced indifference?

I asked this question via Twitter, but I'm also wondering what the best sign of the night would be. Above was my insta-reaction, but I think the true best sign has to somehow indict the whole process. Here were a few of the suggestions. More ideas welcome.

* "At Least The Clippers Sign Their Picks"

* "Why Not Colt?"

* "The Lerners, The"

* "Draft me next year. I might actually sign."

* "Scott Boras killed my dog, then killed my franchise"

* "Thanks for letting our Ovechkin walk"

* "Somebody Paid Me To Be Here"

* "This is the last Nats game I will ever attend. Thanks, Ted & Stan!"

* "Nobody wants a spoiled brat, not even the worst team in baseball"

* [Is a poster showing Strasburg gutted and decapitated too graphic?]

* [Trick Q - you'd never go to Nats Park again.]

Also, for a smart take on the situation from someone not receiving leaks from either side, read this.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 17, 2009; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: About That Skins Twitter Ban
Next: About That Tricked-Out Redskins Car

Comments

If the offer is 20 million signing bonus and the kid can't live it then SO BE IT! That would be one less year that Strasburgh can make money. I would love to see the MLB instituate a wage scale like the NBA. Strasburgh will probably get about $5 million next year if that happens. The MLB whole draft process is horrible to start with because it gives prospects who have never played before such an upper hand in negotiations.

Posted by: jmpalomo | August 17, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

You know why there are so many lower level Draft Picks that become MLB success stories?

Its because they didn't get the big bucks and they strive to succeed. It is the same reason so many #1 picks just don't pan out.

My t-shirt will read HAVE FUN WITH THE KC ROYALS SUCKA!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I vote for Mercutio's dying words in Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet".

You know, "A plague on both your houses!"

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 17, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How about:

"Plan" FAIL.

Or an oldie but a goodie: "The Lerner's are Cheap."

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't want any spoiled brats either. Or any spoiled half-smokes or kielbasas.

Posted by: Cosmo06 | August 17, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm not buying it.

Here's hoping I won't have to be proven right or wrong.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"I've heard a lot of Nats fans assert that the blame will fall squarely on Boras in both the local and national press.

I'm not buying it.

Here's hoping I won't have to be proven right or wrong."

Not buying what?

The team has offerred 17-20 million for a kid whose never pitched a professional game. How can the blame not fall on the kid and his agent.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 17, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

JDB1,

If they can't handle the amount it takes to pay players to run a competative organization, they should just stick to building shopping malls.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the independent leagues where you are one Tommy John surgery away from pumping gas.

Posted by: derwink | August 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"How can the blame not fall on the kid and his agent."

That might fly for most teams, but not the Nationals. Not after last year.

Sign. Your. Picks.

Posted by: Tank2 | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I know that the broadcasters work for the Nats, but what about the rest of the MASN operation? I'm wondering if there's even any chance of any signs that are blatantly antagonistic toward the ownership, however justified, actually being aired.

Posted by: RyanKelly | August 17, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Boras put the 50 million dollar figure out there way before the draft. It's not like the Lerner's didn't know up front that this will cost them a huge amout of money.

I will say this slowly so you understand. The offer on the table is 2 times the amount any player in the history of the game has gotten. If that isn't throwing money around I don't know what is. Boras Figure was/is andwill always be ridiculous. Again, if the kid yurns it down he's a fool. The team has done their part.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"How can the blame not fall on the kid and his agent."

That might fly for most teams, but not the Nationals. Not after last year.

Sign. Your. Picks."

The Nats are looking good in the Crow deal. He is not signed again and Storen looks to be the closer of the very near future.

Posted by: JDB1 | August 17, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Boras can complain about the inequity of the system all he wants, but it isn't really any different than in other businesses. The young, eager, unproven employees do a large part of the work when they are paid relatively little; THEN they get their big payday (promotions). When veterans get their big contracts they are really being paid for what they have already done, not for what they may or may not accomplich in the coming years. It is jus in how you look at it - there is a lag between performance and compensation. That is why amateurs should not get such huge salaries.

Posted by: CoachD1 | August 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Why do the media keep insisting that Nats fans will be so upset and/or ashamed? They've offered a record-breaking bonus to a guy who has never thrown a professional pitch. I wouldn't be upset with the Nats at all if Strasburg failed to sign.

Posted by: EugeneK | August 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd never actually do it, but what about wearing Orioles gear to the game and a sign saying "I'll go back to the team that signs its picks"

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | August 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I have the feelign Boras will use the Nats to destroy the system, using Strasburg and the Nats as collateral damage. At some point he wants the whole draft system to change, all he cares about is his client's money - which I guess is a good thing if you are a client of his, bad for the rest of the planet.

Posted by: SCNatsFan | August 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"I will say this slowly so you understand. The offer on the table is 2 times the amount any player in the history of the game has gotten."

JDB1,

Two times more than what Prior got is what I think you are trying to say.

So what.

First, you have no evidence that the figure on the table is 20 million.

Second, Boras put the $50 million figure out there early and often.

It may not take the much but, it should have been very clear, even to the Lerner's, that this was going to cost them, plenty. If Uncle Teddy grabs his chest at hearing $50 million he should not have given the go ahead to draft Strasburg.

They can't fail at this after last year and not spending money anywhere else for players. Period, end of story.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else offended by the fact that Boras claims that:

"That, allegedly, the Nationals are a lousy team, with no fans and a bleak future."

Riggleman should pin that quote to the wall in the clubhouse.

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 17, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats wouldn't get a compensatory pick next season, this would be an entirely different matter -- all the heat to get this done would be on the Nats. There is a decent chance that the #2 pick next year will be better than Strasburg, so no need to break the bank.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | August 17, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Section505203,

They made a $160M offer for Mark Teixeira and ponied up $20M for Dunn and $45M for Zimmerman, you can hardly say that they're "not spending money anywhere else for players."

Posted by: EugeneK | August 17, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It insults my intelligence when people suggest that Nats fans will boycott the team if they fail to sign Strasburg.

For the money that Boras probably wants, we could get two decent veteran starters and probably a reliever. Nats are ranked 7th in the NL in runs, thats not particularly bad. With decent pitching, we become a relevant team.

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

EugeneK,

They didn't sign Tex. And even though they signed Dunn and Zimmerman they remain 27th in payroll this year, bottom five again, just like the previous 2 years.

They are not spending the money worthy of a top 8 market. They're spending money like it's a small bottom 5 market.

The "Plan" was supposed to be about building up and overstocking the minor league system with young players through the draft and international signings.

They obviously didn't realize that you actually have to spend a lot of cash to do this.

Someone needs to wake up Ole man Lerner and tell him. A Fred Sanford grabbing of the chest will then follow.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I believe its a fair offer but IMO the Nats should have drafted an everyday player #1 overall, not a pitcher.

Posted by: bbride1 | August 17, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Though I too want to see this get done, the idea that they've thrown away two picks if they don't sign SS is absolutely not correct. They got Drew Storen this year as compensation for not signing Crow and would get the second pick next year - yes, the second pick - if they don't sign Stevie Wonder. But please, don't let reality get in the way of a good, nasty post.

BTW, Section505203, just who is it that you think the Nats should have signed the past few years that would have made them all that much better? Would you prefer that they just throw away money without having any foundation to build on to begin with? Hey, maybe we could have gotten Barry Zito!

Posted by: truke | August 17, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the question should be "will the Nats fans be upset if they don't sign Strasburg". I think the question should be, "will the Nats fans be upset if they DO sign Strasburg". He is an unproven rookie, represented by an agent with unrealistic demands. For the money being demanded, the Nats can sign proven free agents.

The main goal here is to acquire players to improve the team. They don't necessary have to do it by overspending on a greedy rookie.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | August 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope the sports nation doesn't look down on the Nationals as laughing stock if they don't sign Strasburg. Oh, wait, it does already. The Nats don't need to up their offer. If the kid don't want it, save the pick.

Posted by: richs91 | August 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

By Dan Steinberg | August 17, 2009; 11:23 AM ET

Steinz you know I love you but this is ridiculous. You actually think there is a 15% chance Strasburg won't sign? THERE IS ZERO % CHANCE HE WON'T SIGN. ZERO.

By this time tomorrow, Strasburg will be a Nat...and I will be mocking the media for creating this absurd pseudo-story.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Truke,

I don't know, I could rattle off a bunch of guys. From O. Hudson, to Randy Wolf to K Rod but, what good would that do you. You're to busy drinking Kool Aid to understand what the heck I'm saying.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I disagree completely with the notion that we should have drafted someone else. All the best players are going to come with agents and signing challenges. Furthermore, this won't be devastating if we can't sign him, since we get a #2 compensatory pick next year. He can sit on the couch and watch soaps for a year, and then try to do better with KC or Pittsburgh next year as a #3 pick.

Posted by: jksesq1 | August 17, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

If Strasburg fails to sign, no way am I pinning this on the Lerners or Nats management.

Posted by: Sandmeistr | August 17, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If he doesn't sign, poster with his picture (maybe a pig nose) and "This little piggy stayed home." If he does sign, same picture, "This little piggy went to the Nationals."

Posted by: futbolclif | August 17, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As a former O's fan who watched the franchise ruined by overpaying for uncertain talent, I have no desire to see the Nats spend more than $20M on Strasburg.

Boras and Strasburg always have held the cards, and everyone knows it. The Lerners had no choice but to draft Strasburg. And yes, they knew it would cost them. But they are already, in this season ticket holder's opinion, overspending for him at $20M. He's a college pitcher who, in Boswell's words, "didn't even play in the best college league on the West Coast." I don't care if he pitched 14 perfect games. Until he proves himself against professional hitters, the Nats are perfectly justified in limiting what they will spend. And if that's not good enough for Strasburg and Boras, then let them eat cake. Even if next year's #2 pick has half of Strasburg's talent, he'll come at 1/20th the price. Signing Strasburg this year doesn't by itself make the Nats contenders this year or next, so what's the urgency?

Posted by: Aterio | August 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If the kid won't take the $20 Million-ish, then so be it.

If he does not sign, I might bring a big blank piece of white cardboard with nothing on it: no sign.

Posted by: dfh21 | August 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

After the midnight deadline comes and goes without him signing with the Nationals (trust me - he made up his mind weeks ago) my sign will read:

Kasten: I know a great realtor. Thanks for the Memories.

Posted by: alock1 | August 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Good quote from Boswell the other day when he asked SS if he had been working on his change up and SS said he already had a change up pitch.

If they sign this guy, is he gonna be a listen to the coaches and not get along with his teammates?

Posted by: fearturtle44 | August 17, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

And just think, come tomorrow we'll have 365 days to think about how much money Scott Boras is going to milk out of the Lerners for (high-schooler) Bryce Harper.

Posted by: shipsa01 | August 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The $20 million figure came from (team owned) MASN. SI reports it was really $12.5 million. A little more than Prior, not a quantum difference.

He's not signing for $12.5, the team knows it. They just want to put as big a figure out there that they can count on being rejected, because an offer you know will be rejected costs nothing. It's kind of like bizarro world The Price is Right.

I wonder what people will say about Harper next year. What creative ways will they produce to say HE'S not worth the money?

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

That would require a new CBA, for one.

For two, the only reason it works in the NBA is the salary cap. Veterans don't want their money to go to unproven rookies. In an uncapped system, huge rookie contracts don't negatively impact the other players.

And the PA isn't going to give in to either option.

-----

I would love to see the MLB instituate a wage scale like the NBA.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

SS bobble day cancelled.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 17, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I would have a signs like

"UVA owns Strasburg, but the Nats don't"
"Strasburg Strikes Out: Cuba, UVA, MLB"
"Sayanara Strasburg - Japan Awaits"

Posted by: jmII | August 17, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Unless they offer $20+ million, I will be blaming ownership. And if he's not signed, when I go to the game on Wednesday, my tshrirt will read:

"My tax dollars went to Nats Park and all I got were these CHEAP OWNERS!"

Posted by: OvysMissingTooth | August 17, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Kasten: I know a great realtor. Thanks for the Memories.

Posted by: alock1 | August 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

You're going to look like an idiot in about an hour and a half.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else offended by the fact that Boras claims that:

Let's see...worst record in majors for second year running, check. Empty stadium most nights, check. No real farm system and cheap owners, check.

Yep, I'd say that Boras just about nailed it. And everyone please stop using Prior's 10.5 as a comparison. That was nearly 10 years ago. Inflation + the doubling of revenue in baseball puts that number much closer to 20 than 10 in today's dollars.

Posted by: Capitol_Hill | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Kasten: I know a great realtor. Thanks for the Memories.

Posted by: alock1 | August 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

You're going to look like an idiot in about an hour and a half.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

What did I say? You look like an idiot alock.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 18, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

By Dan Steinberg | August 17, 2009; 11:23 AM ET

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, media manufactured story and the sheep bought into it. Never any doubt he would sign.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 18, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse