Today in Redskins Hazing

With training camp completed and plenty of rookies unhazed, apparently the veterans decided to just wrap things up with a rush. I'm not sure who exactly is in these planning meetings, but publicly, Albert Haynesworth very clearly seems to be the ringleader. He and Cornelius Griffin tied five rookies to the goalposts, four to each other on the ground, and then nabbed late arrivals Marko Mitchell and Keith Eloi and taped them up back-to-back, standing up.

"I'm allergic to tape," Mitchell tried to argue.

"This is what y'all get for hiding," Haynesworth said to the latter two.

"I wasn't hiding, I was in the cold tub," Eloi said. "I had to rejuvenate my legs."

"Oh, we're gonna get you in the cold tub, don't worry about that," Haynesworth said. "We're gonna rejuvenate your whole body."

Then, Haynesworth used a variety of means to deliver water, ice and other cold stuff onto the rookies.

"It's hot, they're real tired, so we just want to make sure they cool out," Haynesworth said. "This is family right here, so this is how we're doing to our little brothers....This is what we always do, this is to show love to our little brothers right here, to welcome them to the Redskins, so you've got to show them love."

But, I pointed out, Haynesworth is new to the Redskins himself.

"No, I'm 8 years into this league," he said. "We welcome our brothers to the NFL from the college experience. This is what we do."

I also noted that he seemed awfully competent at the process.

"Well, I've been doing it for six years, at least," he said. "I have a lot of experience doing it. We had to do our rookies right out at Tennessee, so I'm teaching my fellow brothers here with the Redskins how to do it. Plus, I'm from South Carolina. That's not exactly where they filmed Deliverance, but close."

I'm still not sure why the defensive line was in charge, but Phil Daniels was lurking around the perimeter, in addition to Haynesworth and Griffin.

"I'm not involved in this," Daniels insisted. "I'm just out here, trying to make sure they do the right thing, make sure the guys are ok. I'm taking myself out of it. I just stayed out with Cornelius to see what they were doing, and there were so many guys today, you need somebody else to help out. So I'm just looking, folded my arms. I haven't touched nobody, haven't sprayed nobody. I'm a good guy. All you guys know that."

Meanwhile, Haynesworth was telling reporters that in his rookie year, the offensive linemen made him pay for a dinner that cost $15,000 and included $50 shots for everyone in the restaurant.

"I love the tape instead of that," Eloi said.

The Washington Times's David Elfin and Fredburg's Rich Campbell report that all rookies save Chase Daniel and Robert Agnone have now been given this treatment.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 20, 2009; 4:57 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phil Daniels and His Knee Liquid
Next: On Getting to Know the New Guys

Comments

Face it folks, Jason is not very bright and a little slow to be a nfl top flite qb. Athletic ability -average, nfl quarterback ability - below average. The guy has been trained to act like a robot on the football field whether he was at Auburn, with 2 top 5 nfl pick running backs, and 4 players in the top ten behind him or with Joe Gibbs crew. Joe Gibbs fell in love with this guy, because he was a christian, just like Joe did with washed up Marc Brunell and thought he could make both of them HOF players. Brunell was a bust and this guy is on his way to another 8-8 season and then a swift kick out of town. Oh, don't tell me he won a championship at Auburn because I saw the game his junior year at Auburns when USC came to town and destroyed Campbell and demoralized all those top Auburn nfl picks. Also, Jason has been in the league 5 years and accomplished nothing. Two rookies qb's with horrible teams entered the league last year and performed better than Campbell has ever in his entire career. Enough with this whiner and his excuses. Open the qb competition at redskin park and Colt Brennan or Collins will have Jason carrying a clipboard this season, again.

Posted by: matrixcl55 | August 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

You are clearly a bigot in addition to a moron, and I honestly feel sorry for you.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 20, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Why don't these clowns just focus on winning and get a little more serious.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | August 21, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Barno, I personally think Campbell's been given a raw deal so far in D.C., and that he needs at least this year in order to be fairly evaluated (even though he still won't have adequate pass protection).

But I fail to see what is bigoted about matrixc or his post. He suggested JC's success at Auburn was due more to his supporting cast than his own talent. He also compared Soup to Brunell, and said both were too highly regarded by Gibbs due to their Christian faith. Since Brunell is white, and he basically lumped them together, where's the bigotry? Unless you're suggesting he's bigoted against Christians?

His arguments have merit, though I personally don't agree with his conclusions (yet). But I don't see the point in pulling out the race card in response to anything he posted.

Posted by: hogmeister | August 21, 2009 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who has read my comments in the past on race knows I'm just about the last guy to pull the race card. I'm vehemently anti race hustlers like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Sonia Sotomayor, etc. But I can see right through comments about Campbell's intelligence--which is clearly not an issue, since the guy is plenty smart. And yes, Matrix's remarks about Gibbs only liking Brunell because he's Christian tells me all I need to know about this guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 21, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 21, 2009 2:22 PM
---------------------------------------
Well, again, we agree on the substance (i.e. I see no evidence to support the suggestion that Campbell lacks the intelligence to be successful at this level - indeed, his ability to learn different offensive schemes each year save this one would suggest otherwise), but disagree on the conclusions one can reach about the underlying beliefs of those that disagree with us.

Just because someone thinks, and says Campbell lacks sufficient intelligence doesn't automatically mean they're racist. They MIGHT be, but I think it's dangerous to make assumptions about people's beliefs without clear evidence for those assumptions. You state, "I can see right through comments about Campbell's intelligence..." and "...Matrix's remarks about Gibbs only liking Brunell because he's Christian tells me all I need to know about this guy..." without giving specifics as to what you're reading between the lines, or why. Cryptic, provocative, but there's no there there.

I want to see what JC can do this year, and wish he had a better O-line to make this make-or-break year more fair to him, but as my dad always said, "life isn't fair," and so we'll just have to see. Marko and his underlying beliefs may BE racist for all I know, but again, if there's something more concrete upon which you base your assumptions of his bigotry, I'd love to hear it. And you may decide I too am bigoted, because to be honest, I too have always wondered how much Gibbs' Christian beliefs colored his player evaluations and decisions, much as I love and respect the guy as a coach and human being.

Btw, is M. Wilbon a racist because of the rather unflattering things he had to say about the circumstances surrounding ST's shooting and subsequent death, or is it possible that someone can be wrong, or even as a$$hat w/o being a racist?

Finally, I don't want this to devolve into some snarky exchange when it appears we're more or less on the same page - wanting to give Campbell a fair shake, wanting him to succeed, and most of all, hoping the skins can turn things around in spite of their FO's embarrassing personnel mngmnt.

Posted by: hogmeister | August 21, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hogmeister,

I am 99.9% in agreement with you and as I said before, I'm the last person to use the race card. And no, I don't think Wilbon is a racist but 9 times out of 10 he is off base when he writes on racial issues. And of course, you can think Jason Campbell isn't intelligent without being a racist. But the fact is, Jason Campbell is so obviously an intelligent guy and has demonstrated this in countless interviews I've seen him in. And so I just wonder if a comment about his lack of intelligence, without anything to support it had something to do with has something to do with his skin color.

So perhaps, my original response should have been "you are clearly a moron, and I wonder if in addition you are a bigot as well."

Lastly, it's ironic you are defending a person from someone else's assumption that he is a bigot, when that person needlessly assumed that religion had something to do with Coach Gibbs' fondness for Brunell and Campbell.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 21, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse