What Not to Wear: Redskins Edition

The preseason is used for getting out the kinks, and never was that more evident than at last weekend's first-of-the-season scrimmage, when some indeterminate number of fans descended on Redskins Park, many in baffling uniform choices. Now, some of these are borderline acceptable and/or hilarious. Some are just strange.

I figure we might be in for more of the same this evening, but I guess that remains to be seen. And as always, wearing a Jeff George jersey >>>>>>>> wearing purple camouflage. In fact, wearing nothing but a blood-and-urine soaked hot pink cilice decorated with poison ivy >>>>>>> wearing purple camouflage.

One more point: I've mentioned this before, but a friend of mine who roots for the New York Rangers is forever chiding Capitals fans for choosing Ovechkin, Green and little else in their jersey purchases. I'm not sure if that's different than the NHL average, but it's sure different than the Redskins average, where there are at least 11 current players in heavy rotation, jersey-wise. (Portis, Moss, Cooley, Campbell, Randle El, Landry, Hall, Smoot, Fletcher, Orakpo, Haynesworth) And that's not even counting Colt Brennan.

Oh, and I say there was definitely one winning shirt in this mix. I'll let you guess which one.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 13, 2009; 2:21 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Rocks the Red
Next: Redskins (Preseason) Uniform Fail (UPDATED)

Comments

On this subject:

Posted by: Dikembe | August 13, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Terry Allen? That's great. I saw two there that were way worse than any of these though: a Steeler's jersey and a Tony Romo jersey.

Posted by: eternale5150 | August 13, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

what is with Skins fans and Jorts, we have got to work on this fellas!

Posted by: rc2223 | August 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"In fact, wearing nothing but a blood-and-urine soaked hot pink cilice decorated with poison ivy..."

Wait, this isn't the US-Mexico recap?

Posted by: Section117 | August 13, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

in his defense, the kid in the Archuleta jersey might actually be his illegitimate son.

and speaking of Arch Deluxe, did you know he was drafted by the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL? and their QBs are JP Losman and Tim Rattay? and that both of those guys went to college in Louisiana? maybe that's the team Cooper Manning can finally break through with.

what's the over/under on Games Played by the UFL before it goes bust? there's only 4 teams, so i'm putting the O/U at 2.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

is the winner the Mr. Latin Bear or the Terry Allen jersey? Because I think Mr. Latin Bear was a bust, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: trolly_time | August 13, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

This where hockey has it all over football, in terms of jerseys...you can buy a non-personalized hockey jersey. That is key. I'll only buy non-personalized Capitals jerseys from here on out (got a Simon and a Bondra in the closet right now).

If your football jersey becomes obsolete, you're screwed - you look like all the goobers above if you choose to wear it. It's a bummer, and a reason not to buy a football jersey as far as I'm concerned. And while my Aikman jersey is still cool, my defensive Roy Williams jersey....not so much.

Posted by: nafspac | August 13, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

also would it have been too much to ask to get the kid wearing the Westbrook shirt to pose for a picture with his arm around a kid in a Stephen Davis shirt?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | August 13, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

My guess for the non-jersey foul: the throwback Mark Brunell. Nice lookin threads

Posted by: hockeypunk | August 13, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ dimesmakedollars

Posted by: hokieskins | August 13, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

If the memories of the team at the time of the player represented by the jersey are as good or better than where the team is now, I'm not sure why it'd be a foul to wear it.

Johnson, Allen, & Brunell were all on playoff teams, and none left the team by any fault of their own, iirc. None would be fouls. You could probably argue Ferrotte too, if you wanted.

LATINBEAR rocks, of course. Whatever the heck that means. Stephen Hobbs' nickname?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 13, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Johnson and Arrington to me were not fowls but just dumb move by owners.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

How can you hate on the Doug Williams tee?

Posted by: mjwies11 | August 13, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Could it be Sammy Sosa?
"One of these things is not like the other........."

Posted by: jmsbh | August 13, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rugod25 | August 13, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Chide your friend that at least Caps fans are choosing current players. Every Rangers fan I see is either Avery, Messier, or Jagr.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | August 13, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The Doug Williams t-shirt rules.

Posted by: SadieV | August 13, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

whats wrong with Champ Bailey???

Posted by: ac718 | August 13, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out why any self-respecting Caps fan cares a fig what a Rags fan thinks.

Just sayin'.

Actually, I like the less-popular ones, and so do the majority of people I hang with at the VC. I've settled on (but not yet bought) my next jersey - a home Steckel.

Posted by: kittypawz | August 14, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

I pulled the true what not to wear at game 5 of the Caps-Pens series when I wore the Matt Cooke #24 sweater. Guess who scored the tying goal in the third period literally 20 feet away from me... (friend hooked me up with a second row seat for the third period and OT)

Posted by: wis193 | August 14, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Are Colt Brennan jerseys really selling well? Unbelievable...

Posted by: Fitz157 | August 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse