Did Fans Spit on Robert Henson?

This week just needs to end.

I was reading the blog that Phillip Daniels writes for TheHogs.Net, and I came across yet another reference to fans spitting on players. (Two Redskins players this week told me that they heard from others that fans were spitting on players, but neither said they saw or felt this in person.) Anyhow, here's what Daniels wrote:

Robert is a hard working young man who will be a good player in this league. One thing that you might not know is that Robert had bottle tops thrown at him, and had fans spit on him as he was leaving to field to get to the locker room. As fans I feel that you cannot let your unhappiness about what happened on the field get the best of you to the point that you have to stoop to this level. He was really upset about this, and he found his way to his Twitter account, and he didn't handle the booing or the situation the right way. He knows his mistake and I guarantee you, on his behalf, that this will never happen again.

The spitting thing is just really, really, really, really hard for me to believe. Maybe someone spilled a drink or something, but I don't see Redskins fans spitting on backup linebackers.

Daniels also addressed the boos, with the same wise tone that has made him one of the team's better quotes on this issue this week.

The Washington Redskins have some of the best fans in the country so why not be passionate about the way your team plays? The boo's show that the fans expect a lot out of our team this year, and that this was not by any means our best performance. I understood the booing at halftime but come on, not in victory formation. LOL. Don't let your fustrations get the best of you to the point that you forget that we are kneeling to win the game.

You should go read the whole thing, since it's a pretty reasonable take. Clinton Portis has also posted a blog on his new Web site, and he also addressed the booing.

I won't say I blame you fans for booing because I can sense the aggravation. It wasn't a real entertaining game, but at the same time, it was a win.....We get booed on the road every week, so at home we need your support. We want you to get the other team aggravated. We don't want to be out there and hear booing and think we're letting people down.

THN also has an interview up with Andre Carter, in which he also discussed the boos.

It was unfortunate that the crowd booed. I don't know what those emotions were directed to. Maybe it was the team, offense, defense or maybe the fans expected a blowout. I have no clue. Fans are people, too, and emotions are something we are all blessed with. Everyone is human and I don't fault them for acting in that manner. I have to take it with a grain of salt and know that despite it all, I still love my Redskin fans. They are loud and proud.

Just win big on Sunday and all will be well. Because I don't want to hear what FedEx might sound like otherwise.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 25, 2009; 11:35 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Montgomery: A HS Retrospective
Next: Defending Jim Zorn's Fourth Down Calls

Comments

I call BS on the spitting

Posted by: jf317820 | September 25, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Let me make this clear: If any fan at Fed Ex was seen spitting or throwing bottles or bottle caps or whatever at Redskins players, there would have been a riot in the stands and that person would have had to be med-evaced to the hospital...if he were still alive.

Translation: Robert Henson is full of sh**.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 25, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I first of all want to say that I was at the game and believe that the booing in Victory formation was because we were on the opponents 2 yardline and weren't trying to score, even though the kneeling made more sense. Secondly I'm tempted to believe Mr Henson that fans might have thrown things at him, but it couldn't have been bottle caps, since the concession people remove them from your beer and soda bottles when you buy them.

Posted by: malarsk | September 25, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The Boos were for Zorn, the drops, and, indirectly, the owner. The spitting though is unreal. Whoever hicked out to the point of being a neanderthal should be forever a Cowboys fan and beaten with chaps.

Posted by: BurgwithaU | September 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

malarsk, I agree 100% with your comment about why fans booed. A lot of gamblers out there who teased the Skins spread down to -3 and wanted a score. I know because that's why I booed, and not because of our performance. And yes, kneeling was the right thing to do, but tell that to someone who put $ on the game.

As for the bottle caps reference, you're right that they typically remove them and makes it even more unlikely that those were thrown. However, somehow I got a bottled water at the game and they didn't remove the cap. I still don't believe Henson as far as I can spit, no pun intended.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 25, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that whatever happens Sunday, FedEx Field will sound pretty quiet.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 25, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I was one of the many booing last Sunday and I am sick of the players saying they respect our decision to boo but "a win is a win." Skins, win every game including the Super Bowl 9-7 and you will be lifted up as heroes by every person in this town. However, Skins fans are better footbal fans than to think this will happen. We know that a 9-7 win against the Rams is not a "win is a win" situation. We know that same performance will result in a .500 season. Give us some credit as fans for having enough football knowledge and emotional investment to boo that poor performance that reeks of the same mediocre play we've seen for years.

Posted by: jtheisman | September 25, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Pretty late in the game to be pulling out the spitting allegation. Accept it, Henson. You acted like an idiot, and unfortunately you had a computer in front on you. We fans are a fairly fickle bunch, so if you end being good, we'll probably forgive you. The players really need to realize that most of the boos were for Snyderatto.

Posted by: Andymr | September 25, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

FRIDAY AFTERNOON TIDBITS

FORD STADIUM, MICHIGAN – With more than 10,000 seats left to sell and facing the prospect of thousands of additional empty seats from season ticketholder no-shows for this weekend’s game against the Washington Redskins, the home-standing Detroit Lions have announced a special promotion package for this weekend only.

With the “Maroon and Black” ticket package, the Lions will offer half-price entry to the game and a free beer to any disgruntled Redskin fan who shows up at Ford Stadium wearing maroon and black. The name is an apparent reference to Washington Head Coach Jim Zorn, who is said to be clueless, colorblind and unable to score – particularly when his team enters the red zone.

Many Washington fans have taken to wearing maroon and black in protest against the continued ineptitude of Zorn’s coaching, the blunderment of the Redskins offensive team, and the overall ineptitude of the Redskin organization.

Said one Lions official, “While they may not cheer for the Lions, we’re pretty sure they’ll still curse and boo the Redskins. Either way, it’s all the same to us – and might even give us back some home field advantage.”

In a related development, Ford Field officials said they’ll be working overtime to make sure the air conditioning system at Ford Field is working at peak capacity during Sunday’s game.

Stadium officials are reportedly concerned that by scheduling an afternoon game in a domed stadium between two hapless teams -- the Redskins (8-8 last season and fading fast in 2009), and Lions (non-winners since 2007) -- the NFL could be held liable for “stinking up the joint” with a toxic and potentially fatal stench coming from both sides of the field.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 25, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

When exactly was this spitting event? He didn't dress for this past weekend's game so why would someone spit on a random guy in street clothes. Sorry, calling BS on this one.

Posted by: ouvan59 | September 25, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I was there last Sunday and I truly believe that the fans were booing whats looks like yet another mediocre/average team to go along with all the ones that have been served up by Snyder over the last 10+ years. The fans appreciate the effort given by the fans, they just don't appreciate the way Snyder is running this organization into the ground.

Posted by: Monkman63 | September 25, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Monkman63 | September 25, 2009 2:46 PM

Speak for yourself. I happen to think Snyder has done a great job the last few years. My guess is, you will too... in about, oh, 4 months.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 25, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, CP has an editor for his web site. That quote actually included all the elements of grammar, subjects, verbs, objects, even some pronouns - plus he used proper conjugation for his verbs.

Fastastic, CP. Carry the editor with you for locker room interviews, too.

Posted by: DrBeaker | September 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

For the money that creep charges a fan for game tickets, parking, food, etc... I can boo when you guys stink up FedEx. Now that you have lost to the Detorit Lions, why don't we just boycott snyder and the what used to be the Washington Redskins. Then maybe Snyder sells the team and the curse and stinch of him will be over. By the way, I don't give a damn how many charities snyder give money to or how many tom cruise's he puts in the owner's box. Snyder has ruin this once proud franchise with a bunch of over price, non football playing jerks.

Posted by: butche106 | September 28, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse