In Which I Defend The Redskins

Ok, I'm not really defending the Redskins. But with the onslaught now in full pitchfork mode, I feel like we should at least keep our facts straight.

UPDATE: This headline was sort of tongue-in-cheek; I'm really not "defending" the Redskins, nor am I trying to cast any aspersions on our stories. The stories and graphics were incredibly well-reported, informative and gripping. My concern is more the way others have spun the story forward without always holding onto the facts from the stories.

* On Comcast SportsNet, on 106.7 The Fan, and in Friday morning's paper, we've seen variations on this theme over and over again: "If the Redskins have 160,000 fans on the waiting list, why oh why do they need to sue their fans??????"

Ok, these are two different issues. Suing fans may very well be ridiculous, but as I understand it, these fans are being sued over premium seating contracts. Everyone who's been paying attention has known for years that those premium seats could be had by anyone who wants 'em. I've been solicited for years. I'm sure you have, too. Obviously, there's no hundred-thousand-waitlist demand there, and everyone knows this.

Evidence of suing people to make them pay for their premium seating contract may say a lot about demand for those seats, but it says absolutely nothing about the demand for regular old general admission seats. I've been on that list for years, too, and still can't get tickets. So someone's obviously on the list ahead of me. (Insert your "yeah, ticket brokers" joke here, but still.)

Again, the fact that there's no demand for premium tickets may be interesting, but it's not news.

* The Redskins have frequently been compared to the Caps this week, especially with a Caps spokesman being quoted in the original article saying he couldn't imagine why his team would need to sue its fans. Well, that spokesman, Nate Ewell published this clarification on his Twitter feed:

RE: Post quote. In fairness to 'Skins: we don't have multi-year ticket accounts, as the article implies. Very different situations.

Yes, and this isn't Nate's fault, but these are completely different situations. Again, suing fans with multi-year deals may be a horrific idea and ghastly PR, but it has nothing to do with the Washington Capitals.

Also, I've gotten into Caps Fever as much as the next guy, but I just don't remember these hosannas for Ted Leonsis five years ago. Is my memory really that bad?

* Another oft-repeated line this week: "This was why the Steelers invasion happened!!1!!1!1"

No, it really wasn't. That stadium was like 35 or 40 percent filled with Pittsburgh fans. Everyone acknowledges as much. No one has come close to accusing the Redskins of diverting 40 percent of their tickets to the secondary market.

That stadium will always have visiting fans when they want to be there, because it's massively huge, and getting there is a nightmare, and people who own the tickets are smart enough to sell them when the demand is right. And for a Monday night game against a traditional power that hasn't played here in decades and has a huge local fanbase, the invasion will occur, even if you restrict tickets exclusively to 72-year old Northern Virginia grandmothers. They understand how capitalism works, too.

So when Tom Boswell writes that contrite Skins officials "say there'll be no more Steelers crowds at FedEx Field...." I mean, I can't imagine they've actually said that, because there's no way anyone could make that happen besides Redskins fans. Taking back one or two thousand tickets from a broker isn't stopping that invasion.

I mean, I know I'm on the wrong side of history here, but what the heck.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 4, 2009; 2:23 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Campbell Really Likes Big Plays
Next: 2009-2010 Redskins Odds

Comments

No, you are on the right side of history Steinberg. And you should be commended for having the balls to right this piece. We don't agree on everything regarding this story, but I agree with every word you wrote here.

As for Boz, his column today was so off base and he seems so ill-informed, I just don't know what to say. I used to love Boz's work.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That should read:

And you should be commended for having the balls to WRITE this piece.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

About time someone approached this with some levelheadedness. It seems like a popular thing to just bash snyder and the skins management just for the heck of it. I'm no fan of snyder or how the game day experience is at fedex but this has steam rolled into a status quo thing to just lay the hate on thick. Don't even get me started on lavar's show, it's one thing to bash snyder but considering lavar has personal history and hate towards the little tyrant, it's annoying knowing a guy gets his own show and is able to use it as a personal therapy session!

Posted by: monkeybee | September 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

steinz...good bog entry. i'm definitely not a redskins apologist at all but people need to get a grip here and instead of spinning half-truths and such has got to stop. obviously the timing of the original two articles has something to make me seem that this all planned well in advance to cause the stir that it has right before the season. once the season starts, no one is going to care about tickets and who sold or sued what.

Posted by: nats_fan | September 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Well said Steinblog. Well said indeed.

Posted by: ChampKind | September 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Winning does change everything, if the 'skins were a consistent contender, we wouldn't be hearing about this.

As for internet Teddy, yes, Dan, you are right. Verizon center was bare a few years ago. One fan even got into a skirmish with Leonis after Jagr was traded.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | September 4, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I said I didn't know what to say about Boz but I lied.

Dear Tom Boswell,

I used to consider your columns some of the most thoroughly researched out there. You seemed incredibly diligent, always did your home work, never leaving out important details and never leaving in half truths. You gave your readers such insight into complex issues that we thought we already knew everything about. You truly went the extra mile, never spread misinformation, and just gave your readers the facts and your opinion of them.

What happened to that columnist I once admired? Of late, you seem so ill-informed when writing about the Redskins it's like a different writer behind that byline.

You claim that the Redskins officials claim "there will be no more Steelers crowds at Fed Ex." They never said this. Nor would they, considering they have no control over such things. Nor was the team responsible for the Steelers crowd in the first place.

You then grossly mislead your readers when you write "Despite a 'waiting list' they claim is 160,000 long, the Redskins sue some of their own fans [for backing out of ticket contracts]." The team suing those who have broken multi-year contracts for premium tickets has nothing to do with a waiting list for general admission seats. When you confuse these issues, as a result, your readers confuse the issues as well.

The old Boz, not the same as the new one.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ha,ha,ha,ha,hah!!!! Excuse me while I laugh. I've been noticing the smaller mid-level section with the yellow seats, has become most distinctly yellow on game days with only a few exceptions over the past several years....Ha,ha,ha,ha,hah. AND when I can see my heroes only by paying an extra premium like it is in baseball I will have seen my LAST REDSKINS game.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Dan - I've never thought of you as a true "blogger" and I haven't been able to pinpoint why. Postings like this is why. You're fair, see both sides, and call people out who deserve to be called out - not based on some underlying motive.

Its a priviledge to have your voice of sanity in the never-sane DC sports world. I appreciate all your work, thanks...

Posted by: colerwilson | September 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

You've written blatant distortions of reality on here before and this last post was no exception. It's plainly obvious you do not attend many Redskins games, as there are very, very few empty seats on game days. In fact, attendance has risen ever since the early 2000s and even more so when Gibbs came back.

I will say this though, the club seats are overpriced and the lower bowl seats are under priced. It's always seemed odd to me that the best seats in the house are $99 and the 2nd tier are $300.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colerwilson | September 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

very well said

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought the entire suing story was a non-issue and evidence of the Post's anti-Snyder agenda. I mean, if someone enters a contract, that person lives up to the contract or you risk getting sued. That's what contracts are. Nothing startling there. So while suing these deadbeats may not make sense as a PR matter, I certainly see nothing morally or ethically wrong with it. The ticket broker thing is another matter and if they were screwing wait list people in order to sell club seats, they deserve to be excoriated. By the way, if Danny lowered the price of club seats, maybe he wouldn't find them so difficult to sell. Just a though.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 4, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

You are missing the connection between the premium seats sales and the so-called waiting list for season tickets. The Redskins are creating artificial scarcity by denying their fans season ticket purchase opportunities. They claim that seats are available on a first come, first serve basis. But instead they sell those seats on the secondary market to maintain a shortage of more reasonably priced tickets.

When gullible or highly committed fans inquire about regular seats, they are told there are none and then Redskin ticket agents "up-sell" them premium seats in long term contracts with no "out" clauses. This is called bait and switch. It is a form of consumer fraud. I would hope that some law firms take on these cases on a pro bono basis to go after this apparently illegal activity in the Redskins front office.

To make it worse, the team sues and gets default judgments against unsophisticated fans, while failing to notify the court that they have mitigated their damages by re-selling the tickets on the secondary market. Contract law is not Darwinian. Most states promote fairness and address unequal bargaining power between parties by requiring aggrieved parties to mitigate their damages. In these cases, the team may have suffered little or no actual economic injury because they have re-sold premium seats on the secondary market. In most states, the attorneys for the Redskins would be required to disclose that the team has offset its losses by re-selling the unpaid season tickets. Failing to disclose may be an ethical violation that state bar associations should look into.

Posted by: Anonymoose | September 4, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Their is a bit of a tyrannical element to the whole Snyder-Redskins ticket debacle that engenders quite a bit of hatred and resentment. It is the gnawing feeling that you were taken for a chump by someone you trusted. When it comes to the Washington Redskins I know that many in the American Indian community across the country feel something similar but on a much grander scale: we are insulted by the derogatory Redskins team name, especially the over the top legal shenanigans employed by the Snyder Redskins in dealing with the controversy. But we are probably more insulted by the fact that the fans and players could care less about that issue, thereby allowing Snyder to continue to add insult to injury with impunity as he and his organization pour salt into our wounds on a weekly basis. Because of the nations' capitol celebration of the Redskins, many American Indians feel the pain and the sting of our experience with racism, hostility and genocide; The federal professionals who can afford Redskin tickets coldly turn their back to the American Indians; The well paid players, many of them African Americans feel no sense of moral obligation to weigh in on the matter, in spite of their own painful legacies in dealing with racism. What is different is that now there are some Redskins fans who feel a sense of betrayal in that they are clearly seen as expendable by the Redskins' organization. It is ironic that some of the most loyal fans are feeling something akin to what Native Americans feel, although it is really just the tip of the iceberg. What next? Snyder will probably let up on the season ticket lawsuits, announcing them to be a mistake. Maybe he'll give out free jerseys and some peanuts, something to convince the fans that he is a nice man after all. But American Indians will still be asking the Redskins to recognize the depravity you are celebrating and to once and for all change the name of your team.

Posted by: g-lo | September 4, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

"I'm really not "defending" the Redskins, nor am I trying to cast any aspersions on our stories."

Wow. The first claim is as disingenuous as Redskins General Counsel Duncan's email claim that the Post stories had nothing to do with his announced intention to vacate the judgment against the Virginia widow. True, you don't cast aspersions at the Post's stories but you do take pot-shots at everyone else's coverage of the story. Is this not the definition of a homer!?!

And somehow you've totally missed the context that Snyder's Redskins have tried to squeeze more and more dollars out of their fans, regardless of how silly or even illegal their actions. Remember when the Redskins tried to prevent fans from walking to the stadium from non-Redskins parking spaces!

The stories had to be covered by regular reporters. The Post sports writers all seems to be homers. Alas, Sally Jenkins no longer seems to be covering the Redskins, the only Postie who consistently pointed out the emperor (Snyder) had no clothes.

Posted by: jacobson98 | September 5, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Barno- Just because Boswell's piece hurt your feelings about the skins and other DC owners doesn't mean it was a good article...He went out there and told the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts. I am as big of a skins fan as anyone out there; I hope to God they win every game, and my week is better after a W and worst after and L but I can be honest about it. Dan Snyder is a money grubbing little chump who has done everything one man could do to ruin a franchise. He has no ethics or morals and is only driven by money. The only thing keeping the skins somewhat relevant is its incredible fan base. Impeach Snyder.

Posted by: nford2 | September 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymoose | September 4, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

You are missing the connection that the sale of seats on the secondary market was a violation of team policy and the employees who engaged in this violation were fired and/or disciplined.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 5, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nford2 | September 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, no Boswell did just the opposite: he lied about the team and made up a position the team did not take. Boz claimed that the Redskins officials said "there will be no more Steelers crowds at Fed Ex." They never said this. Nor would they, considering they have no control over such things.

It was a reprehensible distortion and if Boswell has any integrity remaining he will issue a retraction and apology.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 5, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: g-lo | September 4, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

This is nonsense. There are many polls that show that upwards of 90% of the Native American community are not insulted by the Redskins team name and do not find it offensive. The Native American special interest groups use the Redskins team name as a direct mail fundraising tool. But if it is not offensive to the overwhelmingly vast majority of Native Americans, then it is a non issue. And as long as Dan Snyder is owner of the team, the name aint changing. So deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 === Snidely Owl's Barney Rubble ....

Yuck-a-duck-a doooooooo Bammm Bammm Bammmm ...

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Barno1: paaaainnnnt your bald spot dude?

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

From this blog:
"...I've been on that list for years, too, and still can't get tickets. So someone's obviously on the list ahead of me. (Insert your "yeah, ticket brokers" joke..."

What do you mean, "joke?"

Posted by: kls1 | September 6, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

My sources tell me Marcus Mason has made the team.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Barno's the first to break another local sports story.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Dan's basically right about what he says here. But even so, that doesn't take away from the main thrust of the first story--that instead of selling tickets to people on the allegedly 150,000 person wait list, tickets were being sold directly to ticket brokers so that the Redskins could make some bucks on the premium seats.

And it doesn't take away from the thrust of the series--the Redskins are arrogant (Dan Snyder couldn't even deign to be interviewed publicly apolgizing for this screwup) and care much more about making money than about their fans, their image or anything else.

Posted by: TheFingerman | September 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Fingerman, you are totally disregarding the fact that these tickets being sold to scalpers were done by rogue employees in violation of team policy and they were disciplined or fired. As much as readers really want to, you simply cannot blame Snyder for what happened.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Very Good Post Steinberg

I am a general admission season ticket holder who put his name on the list at age 18. We are all aware of the current regimes attempt to maximize profits from the cash cow that is the redskins fanbase (trying to divert fans who parked at landover mall,etc,etc) I for one do not mind becuase i feel that snyder spends the money he brings in (usually with poor to mediocre results) but he tries.

I felt that whole "scandal" was a non story.

Obviously the story of the real estate agent was bad and definately an embarrasment to management.

i do not feel bad for a convicted embezzler in jail whining about the fact that he is getting sued (why did the nats give him free tixs anyway), or the developer
who had the resources to fly from idaho, or the car salesman,

all these people could have waited for 8 yrs like i did and had general admission seats starting at $500 a seat a season, they chose to pay exorbinant prices to be in the loge level and not wait.

contracts exist for a reason, i'm sure if the developer or the car salesman had a signed contract with a customer they would not allow them to back out.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 6, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

I'm willing to believe that Snyder may not have known personally what was going on--although even if that's true, it doesn't inspire confidence when he can't even come forward himself to reassure fans he's handling this problem, but sends out his lawyer to do it. I do have a hard time believing that a couple of "rogue" low-level employees carried all of this out without anyone else knowing. These guys had no supervisors? No one up the chain saw that hundreds of season tickets were going to one broker and said, "Um, this doesn't seem right"? And if this waiting list is so prized that it's kept in a locked storage room in binders (please), why is there no procedure whatsoever that when season tickets come open, the team goes to the waiting list and takes the next name--instead of first scrounging around to package the general admission tickets with premium seats?

Furthermore, have the Redskins announced any kind of procedures that would prevent this from happening again? Any kind of supervision so that future "rogue" employees can't sell tickets to brokers? Any kind of procedure to go right to the waiting list? Um, not that I can see.

Snyder is the man at the top and sets the tone. That tone, as we all have seen for years, is to make money. But you're free to believe what you want to believe.

Posted by: TheFingerman | September 6, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Fingerman,

I never said any of the rogue employees were "low level", nor did I say or imply that there couldn't have been supervisors involved. You jumped to some pretty big conclusions there.

As for Snyder not coming out and addressing the situation, no doubt he views this as another unfair hit piece from the Post and doesn't want to draw any more attention to the story than it's already gotten. And I don't blame him.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 you are either Dan Snyder's p-ssboy or his the absolute personification of his Dream Fan. If everybody were like you he could continue to COMPLETELY RIP OFF his entire fanbase without ever feeling any ramifications.

Oh, but we're all not as gullible and sadistic as you are. And Snyder is starting to feel the heat - what was once a storied organization and a cherished source of community pride is now a laughingstock of the league and a blight on its community.

We are a few more Snyder years away from local blackouts - oh, and this notion that you (and, sadly, Steinz) are clinging to about high demand for general admission seats? That's a friggin' joke. There is almost literally NO DEMAND for tickets to Redskins games - check out craigslist right now and see all the suckers/season ticket holders trying to hock their seats for under face value.

It's a joke and people like you are the problem: Continued blind loyalty to an owner who is pure evil personified will only further the demise of this franchise (if that's even possible at this point).

Posted by: thediesel | September 6, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please clarify- i understand that their were multi-year contracts required to purchase club level season tickets.

Were multi-year contracts required to purchase lower level and upper level season tickets as well, or could those be purchased on an annual basis?

Posted by: jpish | September 6, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins are a few more years til local blackouts" -Diesel

Hah, you must be kidding. The Redskins are in no danger whatsoever of having local blackouts.

"There is almost literally NO DEMAND for tickets to Redskins games" -Diesel

Hahah!! I mean, honestly, do you have any idea how insane you sound?

"check out craigslist right now and see all the suckers/season ticket holders trying to hock their seats for under face value." diesel

I look at craigslist and other online ticket sites all the time, and the vast majority of tickets are offered at above face value, sometimes way above. There simply is not an abundance of Redskins tickets for under face value and anyone can verify this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=10&subAreaID=&query=redskins+tickets&catAbbreviation=sss

Dees, don't you have anything better to do than to make up this nonsense?

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Boswell is wise.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 7, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Barno1 - Not that I needed further proof of your idiocy, but you don't seem to understand the simple rules of supply and demand. The plethora of listings on craigslist is the supply - and most of those tickets will be sold for under face value. Right now, they are futures purchases, so the seller will *attempt* to get the most he possibly can for them - hence the sometimes overinflated listing prices. The fact that there are ANY people posting right now that they would sell for under face (and there are many) is indicative of the utter and complete lack of demand. But keep believing otherwise - like I said, it's morons like you that keep Snyder's revenues at the top of the league, while the team's performance is at the bottom.

It's clear you're not going to be able to grasp what has happened to this organization - so just go ahead and keep living in your alternate reality where it's 1991, the Redskins are a good team and respectable franchise, and your owner doesn't bend you over and have his way with you at every possible opportunity.

Posted by: thediesel | September 7, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, it would help if you had any idea whatsoever what you were talking about, but unfortunately it's clear don't. Yes, there are Redskins tickets available on ebay, craigslist, stub hub, etc just like there are for every team in this country from any of the 4 major pro sports. Redskins tickets are among the easiest to sell because they are one of the most popular teams, and there are more than 90,000 seats to the stadium--by far the most of any NFL team.

However, when you say things like "most Redskins tickets will be sold for under face value" and "There is almost literally NO DEMAND for tickets to Redskins games"...It's obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Readers of this blog are pretty well informed for the most part, and it's obvious we aren't dealing with a genius here.. but honestly, are you really this stupid??

Right now, with the comments you're making, you're demonstrating just how incredibly ill-informed and out of touch with reality you are. And it really is getting hard to take anything you say seriously when you write such complete nonsense on here.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

there is now and always will be high demand for lower level seats. club seats cost too much and there are always big blocks of empty yellow seats at the games. it is worth pointing out that my guess is many of the club seats are sold and the people just choose to stay inside the club level rather than sit in the seats, particularly as the weather gets worse. upper level seats have little demand, and the skins propogate the myth of the incredibly long wait list to keep people buying the upper level seats. people buy those upper levels thinking that is the fast track to the highly sought-after lower level seats.

the problem here? buying the upper levels is not the fast track to the lower levels. the lower levels are controlled by the ticket brokers.

snyder wants to win, but the bottom line has always been his focus. barno, i will never understand your loyalty to snyder, the guy is not loyal to regular fans; he wants the big, corporate spenders at the expense of the regular fan.

steinz please do a story about the new "silver parking lanes". responding to the vip & suite-holders complaints about traffic snyder has created special parking entrances dubbed "silver lines". regular fans with green and orange parking permits won't be able to use them. The already awful traffic will get worse for regular fans so the vips get in and out faster.

another example of snyder and his
affections for the bottom line over any loyalty to the fans.

Posted by: jpfterps | September 7, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Barno - please pull Dan Snyder out from under your butt and see the reality. I'm a life long skins fan, but any fan who can sit here and defend a man who has ruined a once proud and winning franchise is not seeing clearly. I for one am not offended by the name the redskins, but please point out the polls that show that over 90% of native americans are not offended. I call complete BS on this one.

The cowboys new stadium also seats more people than the dump of a stadium we call home. Thats one problem that Dan Snyder can actually say he didnt cause.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 7, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 7, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Confused Capsfansince74, 90% of Native Americans, according to an Annenberg Public Policy Center survey, responded that the Redskins team name does not bother them. According to a Sports Illustrated study, 75% of Native Americans responded that the team name does not offend them.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 8, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan for clearing things up with a lot of people.

Posted by: trolly_time | September 8, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

barno,
go to ebay under "completed listings" for the skins v rams game. lower level seats that have actually sold have gone for about $200-225 w/ parking pass. thats just about, or slightly less, than face value. thats the current market out there for skins tickets...to the HOME OPENER. cant wait to see what the discounts are for the Chiefs game should the team get off to a poor start.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 8, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan and diesel,

I just scanned through well over 1000 completed listings on Ebay of Redskins Rams tickets that have been sold.

Here are the facts:

There were 3 pairs of tickets that sold for significantly under face value (more than $10) in the past month

There were well over 1000 that sold for about face value, or signicantly over face value, in the past month.

Parking passes were sold for 50-100% over face value, on average, some more than 2x face value.

And the majority of these listings were for the Redskins weakest, least attractive opponent all season. And in a recession, no less.

It is really sad that some people, no matter how demonstrably wrong they have been proven to be, still refuse to admit it and stick to their absolutely false beliefs.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 8, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Barno is correct about the polls. The entire "name" issue is driven by a tiny radical American Indian lobbying group and their political correctness allies.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 8, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

(1) To claim your team's season-ticket list is (many many) years long when in fact anyone with the money can buy a seat is disingenuous. Washington does not have a "hundred-year waiting list for season tickets", they just have more expensive tickets available than people want to pay for.

(2) I can guarantee that there will not be a Steeler-fan invasion this year, or next year. In fact, I'd be surprised to see one before 2016.

Posted by: tegularius | September 8, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tegularius | September 8, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How is it disingenuous when it's a fact? As has been pointed out on countless occasions to those who can't seem to grasp the concept--the waiting list is for general admission seats, not premium seats. The day you can walk up and buy general admission seats without being on the waiting list will be the day your above comments are accurate.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 8, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse