Jim Zorn Was Ready for Week One

(Images via Comcast SportsNet and Fox)

Instead of wandering around New Jersey parking lots Sunday afternoon, I decided to take pictures of my television set. The first and most obvious observation: Man, you get a better idea of what's happening in the game from your living room than you do from a press box. I need to keep doing this.

Anyhow, most of these observations are not of the hardcore football sort, so apologies to anyone who was looking for Doug Farrar and accidentally stumbled here. Still....

Above was Jim Zorn before the game. He looked fresh and spry, talking to several members of ownership and doing whatever it is he's doing above. And then, after the game....

Well, he no longer looked fresh and spry, anyhow. He did seem to have the Manny Acta blank stare going, as several of my Twitter friends pointed out. Or heck, Eddie Jordan.

And speaking of fresh and spry, here's Albert Haynesworth!

"What they want me to do is go as hard as I can, and if I get tired, come out, catch my breath and then go back out," Haynesworth told Rick Maese.

"It'll take him two to three games, maybe longer, depending on how bad of shape he's in, to get into real football shape and go throughout the season," Brian Mitchell said on the CSN set.

Sure, there were positives. Some of them came before kickoff. Like here, Carlos Rogers's t-shirt, which many Redskins have apparently been wearing.

Or Fred Smoot, walking into the stadium. Also a fresh look.

Or Tanner Cooley. Also a fresh look. And CSN folks, can't you find a better way to describe him? Please?

I thought the checkered Portis cleats were tight. Not sure about these, which I gather several members of the secondary, including DeAngelo Hall, debuted.

The Moss brothers seemed ready for the NFL season to start. More importantly, the CSN texters seemed ready for the NFL season to start. How come that never happens with Trevor Matich or Chick Hernandez?

Oh yeah, Giants fans seemed ready, too.

(Ok, this was actually a Giants fan from the '80s, but whatever. These same bad mustaches are still out there. I've seen them.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 14, 2009; 11:22 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Bog: Too Much Skins Coverage?
Next: Arlington Rap Guy Makes Skins Video

Comments

Golly Mr. Steinberg, you were really bored yesterday!

Posted by: Leeguru | September 14, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Zorny doing his best Ed Grimly impression in that top pic?

Posted by: TheFunBunch | September 14, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Really Brian Mitchell? The 340lb+ Defensive Tackle isn't in game shape because he took himself out a couple of times? Now that's the hard hitting analysis I expect from comcast.

To address another, more important point....I'm embarrassed to be a Redskins fan today. Not because of the team, not because of the deja vu performance, the dreadful gadget playcalling, and the terrible 3rd & Long defense. I'm embarrassed because of my fellow Redskins fans.

The reaction around DC makes you think the redskins started 0-6 and just lost to the Lions by 35. HOLY SH*T PPL!! We lost at the meadowlands (we've won there once in a decade) to the best team in the NFC (that has absolutely owned us lately)and did you honestly think they would waltz in there and win it? The sky is not falling so pull your heads out of your asses, man up, and realize that Zorn, Campbell, etc. looked far worse last year in the opener and ended up 6-2 midseason.

HTTR

Posted by: KingLaserFace | September 14, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god! A sane fan. I love you KingLaserFace.

This just in: defensive tackles don't play the whole game. Albert Haynesworth is a defensive tackle. I guess most people didn't know that until yesterday.

Posted by: Hobes | September 14, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

KingLaserFace: The skins didn't just lose, they lost BAD. They were incredibly lucky the final score wasn't 31-7, or 38-7, or whatever. The only reason we were still in it was that the Giants STILL haven't figured out how to put teams away. Our offense was as anemic as it was last year, our defense was solid once they hit the red zone, Moss was a joke, and Candle wasn't much better.

I'm still waiting for Moss to be moved to the 3rd receiver, where he belongs, I'd love to see what one of the new guys could do as the X receiver, and Moss pretty clearly didn't care one way or the other on Sunday.

It's not like we're 0-6, but the Skins played far worse than the final score indicated. THAT is why people are upset. Take away the fake field goal, and it was 23-13, and that is at least somewhat representative of how awful the offense played.

Posted by: ncromcr | September 15, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

This car on the right side of the page is driving me crazy. Enough Already!

Posted by: fushezzi | September 15, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@ncromcr

You can't play the "What if" game, you just can't, because it cuts both ways. You say "Take away the fake field goal, and it was 23-13, and that is at least somewhat representative of how awful the offense played" So I say WHAT IF Campbell takes a half step forward in the pocket and Osi doesn't get the hat trick: the giants finish with 16 points. Or WHAT IF Manningham steps 3 inches further to his right and its simply a 1st down at the 20 instead of a TD (knowing the giants redzone troubles they don't punch it in).

Bottom line, yes, the skins looked bad, but considering a) the opponent and b) the final score, skins fans should stop going all chicken little and wait a few more games before making snap judgments about the entire season.

Posted by: KingLaserFace | September 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

KingLaserFace, you speak for me. I couldn't have said it any better myself. I am totally ashamed of my fellow Redskins fans and think we could quite possibly have the worst fans in pro sports. At least the ones that are vocal.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 15, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, you gotta do a blog piece on Brian Mitchell's inability to conjugate verbs. In one segment on WPL last night, I counted at least a dozen examples.

Example One: "What the Redskins WANTS to do..."

Example Two: "What the Giants WAS trying to..."

Now, one could make the argument that a lot of pro athletes use poor grammar--this is true. However, typically the ones that make it in broadcasting after their playing days are over have some semblance of command of the English language.

Brian Mitchell, on the other hand, speaks as if English is his second language. It's providing a terrible example for kids, and if he is to continue to have a microphone on television and radio, he should be forced to take English classes.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 15, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse