LaVar's Letter to Redskins Fans

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

So I took Monday off for Yom Kippur, and two things happened:

1) Despite not posting a single item, I received more reader e-mails than on any day in my Washington Post career, and

2) I went to a break-the-fast gathering Monday night, where two separate women offered me two separate theories on why the Washington Redskins are currently doomed to failure.

This Burgundy Revolution thing is for real. It's still in the just-learning-to-walk stage, and who knows what happens next, but the whiff of fresh, crisp, autumnal revolt is definitely in the air. Smells like pumpkins, sort of. Anyhow, I'm chatting at 11:30; submit your angry or resigned questions here. And in case you haven't been reading LaVar Arrington's Twitter page, I compiled his Sunday and Monday thoughts here. He also had a Skins-related epiphany this week, and as one long document it reads sort of like a letter from exile, penned by a revolutionary leader and delivered covertly to The People. With slight punctuation and capitalization editing to help it make sense as one long discourse, here it is:

"If peoples' eyes aren't open yet, then you really don't want to see! Open your eyes people! Players do what they are coached to do! We have all seen teams at some point win with way less talent than our Skins. It's been the same story since 2000. It's mystifying to me that ever since this man has bought this team, that we can't win.

"He'd rather have movie stars on the field distracting a coach who is in a no-win situation rather then making it an environment where guys who have done so much for this team don't even want to be a part of this. Why do we not see B-Mitch, Charles Mann, Art Monk, Riggo, Monte Coleman, the Hogs, heck even me? Why r we not out there with the team, raising the stakes by letting the current guys see the greats of the past right there?

"Mark May had some choice words about the owner. Riggo feels some type of way. These are my line of duty brothers.

"On my show, me and Dukes talked about a team struggling to find a identity. Well, after [Sunday's] loss, I have some more clarity. I have maintained a certain stance on Skins ownership after I lived through him trying to destroy my name and reputation, and I realized a whole bunch of things when I lived through that very trying time. One thing that became very evident to me was because I have a identity that was clear to my teammates and the fans, the things that were done to me made people respect me more.

"So [Sunday] I had a epiphany. A huge one. If we have a owner who would go to great lengths to try what he did with me amongst others, it leads me to believe that he has no understanding of true brotherhood and identity of self. And I realize that as an employee of someone who has no identity outside of how much money they have, you either conform to that and be without identity or you are identified for having an identity, which would be considered a direct threat....

"I now can honestly say that why would things ever change for our team when he has no respect for employees or fans, and we have none for him? Which means u have a revolving door of disgruntled employees and booing fans and very little support from the people who made it possible for Dan to be 2nd on Forbes's list of high grossing franchises.

"I now believe I can close my eyes and sleep better understanding that I can realistically curb my enthusiasm about guys overcoming their environment. It won't happen unless coaches and players see it and then decide that they will band together to win no matter what. Otherwise Dan will tell coaches what he wants; coaches will sabotage theirselves and the team just to try and stay in his good graces. During my time, Marty was the only head coach that I didn't see fall victim to this, and outside of Zorn, I played for every coach Dan hired.

"Coaches have to decide that it's more important to win together as a team void of Dan's hidden agendas. Create true accountability between coaches and players, which will create trust, and this team might have a chance to win. Otherwise these coaches will continue to think they are ok with Dan and he likes you, and be fired at the end of the season just like all the coaches before you.

"Wake up coaches! Players aren't robots, and some are smarter than you are. We can see and understand what is going on. The players will know when you as coaches have made the decision to win as a TEAM!!!!!....

"I appreciate all of your opinions, replies and support. One of the tweets said why do I always bash the owner? It may be considered bashing, but to me, if all roads lead to the same destination no matter how many detours you try to take, then as a voice of the people it must be said, plain and simple. They say that the truth will set you free, so I just put it out there. If you wish to use my truth, by all means be my guest. If not, that's fine as well.

"Everything isn't for everybody. All I have tried to do is challenge people to be accountable. That's it. Fans, players, media, ownership, we are all responsible for the state of our franchise. In some way, we are all to blame. We must all start being more accountable. How can we change things? TOGETHER, that's how.

"To the people who think the owner won't listen, FedEx Field holds just under 100 thousand fans. If half of them lined up at the front door of Redskins Park and requested a meeting about accountability all at the same time, or even wrote your concerns down and left it there, it may make a difference. Would show how die hard a fan you are how much you care. How much ACCOUNTABILITY we have.

"It has to start with us the fans: if we raise our level of accountability then the rest has no choice but to fall in line. And that means everybody. But the real question is do we really care that much or are we just talkers???? The ball is in your court FANS. It's in our court to start the process of change. This city and its fans can start up the road to earning and deserving championship caliber teams. One team in town has done it and look at how we are excited about them. This is not far fetched that us--you the fan--have that type of power, because you do....

"I would love to help the skins from within but because I am forced to be a outcast I do it from where I can. I LOVE THE SKINS!! BELIEVE ME."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2009; 8:46 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time to Make a Change, Obviously
Next: Skins Fan Sells Fandom on eBay

Comments

Yeah so I guess Lavar and Dukes won't be talking about the Caps season opener...

Posted by: JDP_ | September 29, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

lavar makes sense. this is getting old.

Posted by: mopp04 | September 29, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I can't say I disagree. Well reasoned and thoughtful. All I can say to Mr. Snyder is that I am thankful the Capitals get going on Thursday. Maybe he should start taking some notes from Mr. Leonsis about fan experience and respect for your fans.

Posted by: mjwies11 | September 29, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Where's my pitchfork?!?!

Posted by: kjhealey | September 29, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Go Bless Ted.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 29, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I agree with a lot of what Lavar said, but his whole sob story of how Snyder/G. Williams/Gibbs burned him is getting a little old.

Posted by: Andymr | September 29, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

i meant god bless ted!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 29, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

i love it...i just don't agree with the identity thing...how would he respond to chris cooley being on the team if such a statement were true? sadly, as a redskins fan, the rest of that "letter" is absolutely head on...let's oust snyder.

plain and simple: boycott.

and thank goodness for hockey season.

Posted by: bacaje | September 29, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Lavar is right.
Grilliams, Blache & Co. did burn him when he was here. Trying to smack down the biggest guy in the locker room to make an example of him.

Posted by: priceisright | September 29, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Maybe if Redskin fans weren't so stupid, Danny wouldn't be so rich. He treats the fans like crap and overcharges them for everything, yet they still come to him, wallets outstretched. Stop going, stop giving him your money, and maybe he'll start to realize that he needs to change his act.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 29, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

fans on Danny's message board extremeskins.com are bashing the messenger instead of listening to the message. They tear down Lavar (even though he speaks the truth) because they don't want to know the real truth. If you post a dissenting message, you get ridiculed, harassed, and even banned.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 29, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Arrington was a willing participant in little Danny's world for many years. And he was part of the problem for many years, given his me before the team attitude. So he's being a total hypocrite here, even though some of his points are correct.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is spot on! If you say anything even remotely critical of the team or owner on extremeskins.com you are banned. Don't give any more money to Snyder. Boycott this pathetic joke of an organization. Snyder is a cancerous tumor.

Posted by: garrafa10 | September 29, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with futbolclif

"Maybe if Redskin fans weren't so stupid, Danny wouldn't be so rich. He treats the fans like crap and overcharges them for everything, yet they still come to him, wallets outstretched. "

But I also liked "Go Bless Ted" better than "God Bless Ted."

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 29, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Lavar sucks. He doesn't love the team. He hates the team. He was suppose to be our Lawrence Taylor. The all pro linebacker for years to come, but it turns out he was all show. When it came crunch time, he was gone. Gone from the league entirely. New York won the Super Bowl without him, but he still praises them like he was a big part of them.

We love the Redskins in the DC area period. All other teams come in second. What is the point of not going to games in protest. What does it do but make the team weaker and less relevant. We can become Jacksonville and have home blackouts...hmmmm that would be nice.... NOT!!! Lavar needs to go where he belongs!!! Outta here!!!!

Posted by: punchdaclock | September 29, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

As someone who grew up a Lions fan, all I can say is good luck trying to get rid of your horrible owner. You can cry all you want about it but as long as people keep buying tickets and merchandise and giving them ratings on TV, nothing is going to change.

Posted by: amberlynne | September 29, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lavar is certainly passionate, and I appreciate his efforts. Still, he was a team player for exactly one season - that with Coach Schott. Otherwise, he moaned, groaned and whined while underachieving much of the time.

Maybe Lavar has seen the light, or maybe he is simply disillusioned as to what kind of player he was with this team. Either way, I just can't follow his words without thinking that his overall performance as a Redskin is symbolic of all the problems he addresses in regards to the ownership of the last ten years.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 29, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

While I don't believe Lavar is the best person to bring this point across, he is correct on many levels. It really is up to the fans to take charge. Without the fans buying Redskins tickets, jerseys, etc.. Dan the man cannot make his millions. If Snyder realizes that the profits aren't there, he would be forced to sell the team.

Posted by: gsykes32 | September 29, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What? Lavar is actually planning a riot by instigating Skins fans and causing unrest? Whoa A Civil/twitter/facebook/ebay War against the owner is about break out. Or may be not.
Two wins in next two weeks and people would be asking Lavar who?
As per his ranting, avar is not using any metaphors/oximorons. How boring! All of a sudden Portis's rantngs sound so much better so much fun and almost Shakespearean! well almost...

Posted by: KarK | September 29, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

i am a life long redskins fan! my father had season tickets in the 30's&40's until he was drafted to fight hitler, and he was still a fan even after the team refused to give him his seat back when he returned to the states. i am so disgusted with snyder that i turned down a free seat with parking to a dallas monday nite game rather then be blasted with noise from the loud loud speakers ringing the stadium and the drunks. up yours danny! poor team; poor experience at the jack kent cooke stadium: butch fenton

Posted by: freebutch1embarqmailcom | September 29, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Dear Lavar,
DC still loves you, but its time to put the past behind and get over your bitterness.
There can't be two "headhunters" on the field at the same time. At the time, Sean Taylor's stock was rising and yours was declining, largely due to your well-publicized differences with the coaching staff and your mounting injuries. Your release was a business decision; one of the few front-office decisions that have made sense. Landing with the Giants was a golden opportunity for you, but destiny had other plans.
Move on; you're much too young to spend the rest of your life as a bitter old man.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | September 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Lavar is right. And extremeskins is full of Snyder's PR crew. They're paid to be there and post. Idiots.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 29, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Makes me wonder about snyders relationship with his Parents especially his Father.... tradition, honor and Spirit.... and a moral base seem to be missing.... he has got to be reading these comments from fans... check out Bang cartoons.com if u want a laugh out of this.

Posted by: travmanf | September 29, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Okay, Wow, Oh boy, Ghee..... How should one actually process this compilation of Lavar's tweets? Okay I got it!

I seem to remember a certain relationship that existed between a mega talented linebacker and a very wealthy team owner. Maybe a little like the same sort of relationship a very talented running back has now with a very wealthy team owner.

I also kind of remember the same linebacker's remarks when hall of fame, superbowl winning coach Joe Gibbs was hired by said very wealthy owner.....

If I'm not mistaken, the linebacker said something like "Who is Joe Gibbs?".... as if to say "why should I care?"

Hmmmmm..... I guess this means that said linebacker actually was part of the problem back then because his relationship with the owner was apparently believed to be above that of the hall of fame, superbowl winning head coach.

Mr. former linebacker actually might have a point. But if Judas is bringing the news, do ya really want to read it?

Posted by: BenThere | September 29, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Ah, people bringing up that "Lavarr sucks!" chant, everytime he says something. Lavarr suffered mainly because defensive coordinators wanted to make a cover linebacker out of a human wrecking ball. He was too instinctive to be coachable (even Joe Paterno couldn't coach him). He played, hit and moved, guns out and blazing. That's why Gre-guh-guh Williams ended up putting Arrington beneath Warrick "Can't Getta" Holdmann in the depth chart, and everything went to rock bottom. (Not that Gre-guh-guh's blazing himself much of a trail now, but that's beside the point.) And besides - since Lavarr left, when's the last time we've had a linebacker that other teams were actually afraid of?

Still trying to find a name? Thought so.

As to what he wrote, maybe Lavarr did go a bit overboard with trying to get people to rise up. But it does bring up a point - what in the heck do we do, now that we're seemingly on the way to becoming the new Cardinals? Oh yes, some of you are saying it's too early. But I think we can say that eyebrows are raised in alarm, flabbers have been ghasted, and flums have been moxed.

We've tried to work our fingers over at the players. Jason Campbell gets a load of blame (undeservedly so, but that's my opinion). Draft picks that don't catch, an offensive line that's battered, bruised, a running game that just doesn't work. A defense that pines for former glory, but has been shattered by the possible reality that it's no longer as much of a game dominating influence as in past years.

Then comes the coaches. Zorn, with questionable playcalling, and possibly having 'lost the team'. Blache, for being unable to find a way to get opponents off the field on 3rd downs.

Eventually, it does lead to a point, though. There's one entity responsible for putting this whole organization together, and that's the top. In not so many words, that's where it lies. The question is, what do we do to mend things?

What do we do?

Posted by: Anonynonandon | September 29, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chombie13 | September 29, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want about Lavar's tenure as a player, but he's spot on when it comes to this.

You love your Redskins? You truly want change? Make Dan pay by not going to FedEx Field, not buying merchandise, and go pound on the door at Redskins Park. It's the ONLY way.

Posted by: nodata2000 | September 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

GREAT! Fans like you please continute to support Danny and his Butt boy Vinny! Heck I think Zorn is a Genius! The Skins should extend his contract for the next 10 years!
How is the view from the cellar of the NFC EAST? Continue on this path and the view will get deeper and deeper in the NFL You
Lion beater U ... ALL HAIL BIG DEFEAT!

Posted by: rlomax67 | September 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I've got LaVar's back on this. I stopped giving Snyder my money 5 years ago. I'll watch them on tv on my "52 HD tube and enjoy it a whole lot more than going to that over priced, over stuffed souless concrete bowl and watch as that idiot destroys my once proud franchise.

Posted by: CHICO13 | September 29, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Chad Dukes and Lavar are Hockey Haters. Chad was the one who said Bruce Boudreau needed to be fired last year. He has no clue about hockey period. I actually prefer they ignore Caps and keep their personal therapy sessions about Redskins going.

Chad is a wannabe Home Boy....

Posted by: lightshow | September 29, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

It's this simple if fans don't like the product on the field then stay home and don't go to the game. If you need hockey or basketball to fill your void so be it.

However there is a team right up 295 or 95 that has structure , a coach that makes players accountable, and he has a no nosense approach and bottom line they are winning.!!!!!!!!
The Ravens were winning when they didn't have any offense, say what you may about Ray Lewis but he refuses to lose nor let other influences such as malcontent players stand in his way. The Ravens have a great General Manager they go through a process to chose coaches and players .They have an owner who stays out of football operations. Can you see Mr. Boscotti's track record Danny?

If Snyder wanted to win he would stay out of football operations and fire Cerrato immediately , why not bring in one of the standout former Redskins to lead this team back to respect, or bring in someone from the Raven organization . We are now the laughing stock of the NFL . What I don't understand though is why the players on the Redskins show no emotion or pride .....

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | September 29, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I have been saying to anyone who has Listened... Teddy did it the right way. First and Foremost, he was honest with the Fans of DC and laid out his time table. He made himself available to media (DC101 etc... and talked about the change, the plan and the effects) and the fans of DC. He was willing to eat the loss in hopes the fans would come back and damn it, they did and he has churned out a winner... at the expense of his own pockets. I am not even a die hard hockey fan but I hold soooo much repsect for the route Ted took and I have started to support the Caps and learning about hockey. Danny boy did a good job of sullying Lavar's name and reputation because some fans claim that he is just a bitter ex-skin.... far from the Truth.... Danny boy would rather have Tom Cruise on the sidelines rather than the Stars of the past that made this organization great. other teams do it but us.... some of this about Danny boy has to make some sense and carry some truth with it.

Posted by: rvanags | September 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"It's mystifying to me [LaVar Arrington] that ever since this man has bought this team, that we can't win."

Well LaVar - it's not mystifying to anyone else!

danny-boy equates money with excellence. Why do you think Tom Cruise was on the field?

If danny pays someone $100 million, he believes that will equate to $100 million of performance on the field.

danny-boy knows f all about what it takes to be on a team and rely on each other. He knows nothing about honor and character because he believes those to be traits of the weak - the middle class.

Real Redskins fans will root for the team - from the comfort of their own home.

Posted by: oldnova | September 29, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Go Bless Ted.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 29, 2009 9:31 AM

--------------------------

i meant god bless ted!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 29, 2009 9:37 AM

--------------------------

I think you got it right both times, capsfansince74.

Posted by: greggwiggins | September 29, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chombie13 | September 29, 2009 11:44 AM
-----------------------

You too, chombie13

Posted by: greggwiggins | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting.

You can criticize Lavar if you want, and you may have valid reasons... You can criticize his writing style also. But you can also separate Lavar from the message he is trying to bring. You can also applaud him for his candor. I do.

But the problem with the Redskins organization is Synder. It is not the players or the Coach deJour. The problem is Mr. Synder's ego. He has let his ego get in the way of nearly every football decision that could benefit this franchise. He made millions of dollars as a self-starter in the marketing business. Great. However, it is pretty well documented how to be sucessful in the NFL; the Colts, Steelers, Giants, Titans, etc. show how to do it nearly every year. It is not really very complicated. Mr. Synder can see all of this, but he wants to do things his way, show the NFL world (who are typically very critical of him) he can win doing things his way, and get the last laugh. He has been unscuessful in this, and has blamed coaches, players, etc. Mr. Synder is clearly a very bright guy, with a lot of hootzpah, but he is missing something very basic...

Posted by: tomstark | September 29, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see a petition go around boycotting the Skins/Chiefs game. If we could get 1/3 of the fans to sign it (30,000) I think it could make a statement.

Posted by: DKEAT | September 29, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe its time DC can shed its "Redskins Town" label. I don't mean give up on the Skins, I mean start paying attention to the world outside the Snyderskins. We got the Caps and Wizards on deck. The Nats will get better--quicker than the Redskins will. Snyder has no idea how close he is to bringing the Skins back to the pack. Instead of hating on the Skins, share the love with the others... Maybe if we stop paying attention, Snyder will go away.

Posted by: rodeorob | September 29, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Lavar is spot on. The fans keep marching to the same drummer standing by and watching belt buckle boy toy with them and the team. I know there's love for the team that goes back to the strike seasons when they actually win, but as a die hard football fan why would you spend a buck to get into fedex? It's the worst game day experience in the NFL and the product stinks. If you want to watch a LOCAL NFL product save your self TIME, MONEY and GRIEF and drive up 95 to watch a team that excels and looks to be on there way to having a franchise QB! The Ravens gameday is great and usually a winning experience, at least at home. If not get excited about the caps and wizards. Ted is great and Abe at least cares about the city and fans despite being terrible judge of talent. Start asking POST and Local TV to cover the Ravens like they do the ORIOLES! Start squeezing belt buckle boy where it hurts!

Posted by: jdb70 | September 29, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Indigenous Peoples sheep, aka, the fans on Sunday show up and start chanting "LET'S GO CAP!"

Uncle Ted > The Danny

Posted by: playahatah | September 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"GREAT! Fans like you please continute to support Danny and his Butt boy Vinny!ALL HAIL BIG DEFEAT!"

I will support the team because that is what I want to do. Creating a "Revolution" because the team is 1-2 is ridiculous. The cowboys sucked for most if not all of the 80's, but I don't recall dallas fans calling for the team to leave town??? If you are a fan be a fan. If you are not root for the cowgirls or ravens I wouldn't care...... You sound like rush limbaugh.... "I hope America fails"

Posted by: punchdaclock | September 29, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

If you want to send a message to the owner you do that by affecting his pocket. You can still root for the skins at home or at a friends or bar, but you dont have to reward snyder by buying tickets, tee shirts and 15 dollar cocktails.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 29, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There's only one way to get the owner's attention: refuse to pay him. That means don't buy tickets, don't attend games, don't purchase the merchandise, don't watch any Redskins programming on television or listen to it on the radio.

That said, the Redskins aren't ready to win games. Is it because they don't have talent? Is it because they are poorly coached? Are they unmotivated? I don't know the answer. What I do know is that the only constant in the decade-plus morass the Redskins have been in is Dan Snyder. Therefore, I have to believe he is at least part of the problem.

Mr. Snyder appears to be motivated by money. I belive players are only partly motivated by money. Sure, a paycheck is nice, but a Super Bowl ring is even better (there is a long list of players who have taken pay cuts just to play on a team with a chance of winning the Super Bowl).

Many players come to Washington for the paycheck. But what is these players' motivation? Money...not winning. Mr. Snyder has a track record paying huge salaries for saviors who don't produce wins.

To build a winning culture here, I hope Mr. Snyder either changes his MO or sells the team to someone who can do better.

Posted by: StevenA875 | September 29, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

poguesmahone

Being a hypocrite does not make what you say any less true. You just may not be the appropriate person to say it. Sometimes the truth comes from the hypocrite most because they have come to realize things from both sides of it.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

lavar makes sense.

===========================

Really, what did he say? I still can't figure it out, except that he feels hard done by and thinks that others are as concerned about his career as he was. Who cares?

Posted by: atidwell | September 29, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Lavar is absolutely right on this one. Stop throwing cash at the Danny!

Posted by: papashake | September 29, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

We don't really know what transpired between Lavar and the organization except what we have heard from the news which in most part is a bunch of bull. If the media was so accurate we would know exactly what is going on within this secretive organization....However, L.A. makes a lot of sense in terms of how the owner is a complete moron when it comes to managing his employee's, I don't think he is trying to live a grudge....I live right next to one of the players he mentioned and he has said pretty much the same thing and I really believe him. There is a tremendous lack of leadership in this organization, stemming from Daniel Snyder going down the chain. Snyder could care less about you, the fan, but he will tell the media that he is doing this for the fans and wants to win a superbowl so badly for us. The bottom line is that people who care about the 'Skins are so sick and tired of mediocrity on the field for the amount of money they are shelling out of their pockets. The live game experience sucks so much that I feel that fans are sick and tired of everything this franchise and this loser city has provided them with. Us fans will always root for the 'Skins no matter what but I don't think we will be as happy as we have been during the Gibb's era. The game has changed, players have changed (some just want the $) and most of all, owers have changed. Greed is the root of all evil and believe me, we have a evil owner who sues their loyal fans to make a buck and schmoozes with celeb's in public just to show off. It's up to the fans to decide what they want and I personally would not give this owner a dime....We deserve change and let's all organize a march to Redskin Park!!

Posted by: mofares | September 29, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The comments that LA makes are dead on. To add to what he is saying I feel that this organization lacks true leadership and leadership starts at the top. Mr Snyder can build a billion dollar empire but can not build a football team. He has not concept of loyalty. If you want your troops to have a good attitude and perform for you then you must provide sound leadership and commitment. As the saying goes "Attitude Reflects Leadership" and we the fans and media can see that the attitude sucks because there is no true leadership.

The Skins need a "Real Football General Manager" first of all. Vinny C. is not and I repeat is not a true general manager. He has no eye for talent. When have we developed anyone at any position over the last few years???? We either trade for them or sign them via free agency. Just because some one was good in one scheme or system does not mean that they will be good in the next one.

We knew that we needed help on the offensive line for the past 3-4 years and what do we do? Draft wide receivers and tight ends. We have not drafted a quality running back in who knows how long. Clinton Portis was traded for and not developed within the organization. Yes he has performed admirably here but where is the competition or at least someone to push him for playing time??

As for the defense you mean to tell me that there was no one who could beat out Phillip Daniels who was coming off of major surgery on the defensive line?? We draft a legitimate DE and we convert him to a linebacker. What's up with that. If you want a linebacker then draft one. This kid is a pass rusher and not a cover guy. Who got beat on the last possession the Lions had before we finally got the ball back??? (ORACKPO).

Until the skins get a true football GM with an eye for talent and work ethic, the Skins will be a middle of the pack team. No more no less!!!!

Posted by: mikemikemd1 | September 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

first of all , I want to say that I have loved the caps since they came into the league in 1974. However, before you all anoint Ol ted as the greatest owner on earth, let me share my ted story with you. 1998, I live in charlotte nc(from alexandria)and had drove up to MCI for at least one game per series on the way to the cup finals. I went(called box office) to buy a ticket to the finals and was told(extorted) by the caps that to have the opportunity to buy a single game ticket to the finals, i had to buy a ten game ticket plan for the following season. It wasn't enough that they marked that finals ticket up 600 percent, they had to extort more money out of me buy forcing me to buy a ten game plan for the right to do so. I was buying two tickets so i had to agree to buy two ten game plans for the next year. Well, I live in Charlotte and had no need for a set ten game plan for the next year. I asked to speak to a manager to see if that they would wave that requirement and he told me bluntly that "sorry that the capitals were out to make as much money as they can" off their cup run, too bad !! I wanted to see my beloved caps so bad in the finals, i agreed but I had read where Ted was so fan friendly, so fan interactive and such. I sent him emails, a hand written letter and never got on single response from him or anyone else from the Caps. Still love and watch the great 8 and the caps, but my point is that I will never give ted leonsis another dollar of my money because of the way I was treated with the arrogance of Hitler. My last point is that if the redskins treat you and your dollar with such disdain as Ted treated mine, do as i did and never do business with him(Snyder) again. All it takes is some backbone as you know you can watch on TV and don't let that team discard your money and love of the team and use it against you. F- SNYDER AND TED AND LAVAR while I'm at it. None of them knows what it is like to be on the poor side of "our" relationship......

Posted by: klangley69 | September 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, we have Lavar's feelings; that have little to do with what's going on. Lavar, get over it! I agree that the Skins have fired several coaches, who, if they had been allowed to remain, would have probably produced consistent winners by now; most notably, Marty Schottenheimer. Dan has made a series of mistakes, but today's problems are less about Dan, and more about an ego-driven coach a bit over his head, and players more concerned with their possses, parties, blogs, websites, tweets, etc., than with making the sacrifices necessary to be the kind of team that made the "Redskins" a saleable brand. Many of us are old enough to remember when the area didn't give a hoot about the Skins. Then, teams began to commit to winning and there was Redskin fever. Those guys earned everything we gave them and continue to give them! We need to chill on these fools, the whole team, until they prove they deserve the kind of support given to their predecessors! Stop buying the shirt, stop following the tweets (although I don't understand why anyone would follow any of them. They have the nerve to complain about fans' critcism--I wonder if it registered that Detroit wasn't sure it was going to be able to televise their game!!! Are they smart enough to realize what that meant?

Posted by: OneStop1 | September 29, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

the fans are responsible for this? really? I get Lavar's point, but what have the fans done besides support the team unconditionally? Despite Snyder selling out the team to FedEx, raising ticket prices, stopping fans from walking to the stadium, bringing Tom Cruise to games, going ape-sh!t in free agency, and finally suing the very fans that are making him rich, despite all this the fans still support the team! What else can they do?

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | September 30, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Lavar making such comments is truly a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Remember him sitting up in Snyder's box when injured instead of being down on the sidelines with the team? Arrington was the dictionary definition of Danny's type of player: overpaid, overrated and into himself before the team. He's a hypocrite on this, even if his points are right.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 30, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I finally did what I have been threatening to do ever since Snyder took over... I gave up the season tickets that I have held for over 20 years.

Tired of paying a premium price for an inferior product. Tired of spending a better part of my Sundays tailgating and getting excited for the game, only to leave miserably let down. Tired of listening to the loud rap music blasting from the speakers behind my seats. Tired of not being able to listen to the game on the radio because of a 15 second delay and miserable reception in the stadium. Tired of the $8 beers and the expensive consessions. I will no longer purchase jerseys, flags and other Redskins merchandise so I can "FLY THE COLORS" AT THE GAME.

Nope, now I will catch some of the game on TV, and if it's miserable, which it most likely will be for the forseeable future, I will just go out back and split firewood -- which is what my father always did when he was frustrated with the Skins -- now he just ignores them.

Goodbye Redskins -- I will return whenever the ownership changes.

Posted by: CaptDan1 | September 30, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse