Lou Holtz Praises Vinny Cerrato

Lou Holtz does have a colorful way of talking, no? The frootier than Froot Loops colorful ESPN analyst was on the Mike Wise Show this morning, and at the end of a long segment about college football, Wise asked Holtz whether he'd retain Vinny Cerrato if he were hired in Washington.

"I'll tell you what, Vinny Cerrato, wildest man in captivity, bar none," Holtz said. "Hey, sometime we could have a whole show on Vinny Cerrato. I mean, the guy really is a tremendous individual and a good friend and I'm proud to know him

Holtz was asked what the young Cerrato was like when they worked together.

"I go to Minnesota, he's a GA, I don't know him," Holtz remembered. "He looked a little sneaky, I didn't know anything about him. But you know, you keep him on, Minnesota had lost 17 straight games, he's a good recruiter....I give him something to do, I say do this, and two days later, a day later, an hour later, he's sitting there, he says it's done. Every time I give him something, it was done immediately, and I thought this guy's special. So I hired him at 25 years of age as my recruiting coordinator at Notre Dame, and I'll tell you what, the Rocket Ismails, the Ricky Watters, the Tony Rices, it's all because of Vinny Cerrato."

Before he signed off, Wise asked Holtz whether Vinny still bounces football questions off him.

"No, not a whole lot," Holtz said. "He's just a good person, but he's smarter than me, why would you bounce something off of somebody you're smarter than? Hey, I'm the only guy that's written more books than he's read."

Wise promised to have Holtz on at a further date for an entire Cerrato segment. That might be worth a listen.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 22, 2009; 11:36 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking Down Jim Zorn's Failed Timeout
Next: A Final Word on Robert Henson

Comments

Viva Vinny. The guy is one has blossomed into one of the better talent evaluators in the game. Of course, Redskins fans refuse to acknowledge this, but they will be forced by next January.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Wise just requested that you put some links up for him. This Steinbog-WJFK partnership seems weird.

Posted by: sitruc | September 22, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

C'mon. Lou Holtz on Cerrato? I'm not always into crushing Vinny but Holtz's opinion on just about anything right now has a paper thin tether to reality. He's older than dirt and he's only on TV as an amusing personality (Madden, anyone).

Posted by: pgugino | September 22, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

When what happens, we make the playoffs? Ha.

Posted by: Daspig | September 22, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Remember folks, Lou Holtz also praised Hitler.

Posted by: truthaboutit | September 22, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I have long believed that Vinny Cerrato is not good at his job, and Lou Holtz' opinion of him does nothing to change my stance.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 22, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

When what happens, we make the playoffs? Ha.

Posted by: Daspig | September 22, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

When we win the division and there are home playoff games at Fed Ex 4 months from now.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I have long believed that Vinny Cerrato is good at his job, and Lou Holtz' opinion of him reinforced my stance.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Barno! You indefatigable defender of Snyder and Cerrato!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 22, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse