Morning Bog: Riggleman Says Baseball Isn't Taxing
The standard baseball critique from fans of hockey, soccer, football, basketball, synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, miniature golf and competitive basket weaving is that their sport is more physically taxing than baseball. The standard response from baseball fans involves emerald chessboards and the swaying rhythm of Iowa cornfields.
Actually, I'm not sure what the standard response from baseball fans is, but I'm guessing it's not this. Here's what Nats interim skipper Jim Riggleman said about his game, via MASN.
We're not running up and down the court, we're not playing football with equipment on in 100 degree temperature. It's a baseball game; it's not a physically taxing sport....
My feeling is you ought to be ashamed of yourself if you get physically tired of playing baseball because it shouldn't be that physically taxing. I could point to Lou Gehrig and Cal Ripken, Jr. and I think they would be on my side in that argument, but I don't expect everybody to be like that. I think guys need off days so that the other players can also stay sharp, so I won't concede to the fatigue factor.
That sounds like an MLB marketing slogan to me. "Baseball: It Shouldn't Be That Physically Taxing!"
Anyhow, more morning links, with help from Jake DiGregorio:
* Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and friends will be at both the White House and Fort Dupont today. The latter is for a good cause, so no heckling. (NHL.com)
* Ted Leonsis calls Ovechkin's Olympic comments "Much to do about nothing." Indeed, four and a half years is a long time from now. (Ted's Take)
* Smart math says the Skins have a 19.7 percent chance to make the playoffs, worst in the NFC East. (Football Outsiders)
* DeAngelo Hall: "The Big Contracts, the nice homes, the cars, the life. None of that means a thing if you don't get a Ring!" (DeAngeloHall.com)
* Justin Maxwell: "It seems like there's a bunch more Philly fans than our fans." Yeah. (Nats Enquirer)
* The nail is officially in the Washington Nationals' 2009 season, according to Big League Stew, at least. (BLS)
* The presidents kept it loose Wednesday night, as some shenanigans went down between TJ and Abe. LeGarrette Blount may or may not have been in one of the suits. (Let Teddy Win)
* Gilbert Arenas had the second-most important NBA injury of this century. (Ball Don't Lie)
* A Serious News Story about SBNation and Chris Mottram. (WaPo)
Important D.C. Sports Tweets
devinthomas: im about to grab sum wendys real quick
Mike Green: At the Nationals game!!!
Jeremy Jarmon: Grilling and watching the Paraguay Argentina soccer match. Then Brazil and Chile. Gotta take my mind off our game temp...
Trent Shelton: im about to go eat alone once again!!! im sad lol
Robert Henson: Had a great interview with Lavar Arrington one of the best to ever play the position!
Chase Daniel: Just signed my first lease on a condo...not too shabby, it sure is good to be a Saint down this way...Who Dat!
September 10, 2009; 11:10 AM ET
Categories: Caps , Nats , Redskins , What You Need to Know , Wizards
Save & Share: Previous: Portis on Skins Offense: "Bombs Over Baghdad"
Next: RFK Continues to Fall Apart
Posted by: fushezzi | September 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: futbolclif | September 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: M__N | September 11, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: wis193 | September 12, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.