Orioles News on Reimold, Adam Duritz

Obviously I don't usually write about the Baltimore Orioles, but in light of the fact that I'll be spending much of today in Maryland DMV offices, I'll make an exception with two itesm.

1) The Orioles are mounting a campaign to back Nolan Reimold for AL Rookie of the Year. They've sent these arguments, in glossy style, to all the BBWAA writers with a vote. You may or may not be one of those writers, but this is what the campaign looks like.

2) Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows fame, was supposed to be an Orioles fan. He recently chatted with Christopher Porter of Express Night Out fame, and since the O's didn't figure into the story, the great Mr. Porter sent along the relevant quotes.

"I'm a bigger Celtics fan than I am a Warriors fan because I lived in Boston when I was a kid," Duritz said. "That's my first sports memory ever, the Celtics. I remember things from when I was really young, 3 or 4, and I remember K.C. and Russell those guys -- that team. Late '60s, early '70s. My second is being at Fenway. I was supposed to be an Orioles fan because I was born in Baltimore, but we lived in Boston. It was a doubleheader, I think; I was completely confused about who I should be rooting for. I want to root for the Orioles, I just can't keep straight who's who. But I love that old bird on the cap. Can we go back to the old bird? It was such a cool bird....The best logo, the best symbol ever. It looks so cool on the caps -- and they've sucked ever since they changed it."

(And since he's a Warriors fan, you're wondering what he thinks about Gilbert Arenas, right? "Furious the Warriors let him go," Duritz told Porter. "I think he's one of the most exciting players I've ever watched....How the hell did they let him go?")

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 18, 2009; 9:39 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Orioles , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin Turns 24
Next: So Is It Really Time to Boo the Skins?

Comments

Adam Duritz makes Dan Steinberg look like Ed Norton.

Posted by: seymourscagnetti | September 18, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Good to see you writing about the O’s for a change. The Nats suck and have no future whatsoever. Zimmerman is the only decent young guy they have. The O’s will be contenders in 2 years, count on it. Wieters, Reimold, Mar-kick-a$$, Jones, Pie, Tillman, Matusz, Bergeson, and Roberts still has 4-5 good years left.

Riggleman thinks they are NOT the worst team in baseball?? Well than who the hell is?? The O’s are on a different level than the Nats.

Here’s an idea for Nats fans: The O’s and Nats switch divisions for a season. The Nats would be lucky to win 50 games all season playing in the AL East. The O’s would at least be a .500 club in the pathetic NL East. End of discussion Nats fans.

It pisses me off how much coverage the Post gives the Nats. They blow.

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg,

Welcome to Maryland. You've made the mistake that all newly-minted Marylanders make. For some reason, unlike nearly every other state, the place where we go to stand in lines that don't move and be surrounded by people who make us think we are going to catch every communicable disease recognized by the Centers for Disease Control is called the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration), not the DMV.

Now that you know that, we'll have to teach you the proper way to eat a blue crab.

Posted by: jrachlin | September 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, my heart's all a-flutter with the possibility that someone could do something that only four guys have done in the past 25 years! That's the sort of thrill only baseball can provide, the sort of landmark accomplishment only baseball knows how to properly celebrate. I mean, gosh, it happens once every five or six years, it's like Halley's comet coming around. So special.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 18, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

the point was that the other people that have accomplished this 'feat' won the ROY award. and the overwhelming theory is that Reimold is not getting noticed for equally distributed statistics that would garner him much more attention, say if he was located in Boston.

Posted by: theraph | September 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

We don't take to kindly to bird-bashing "round here."

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, theraph, I get that. And I get that many O's fans feel their team does not get enough publicity and recognition.

I was making a weak little joke about how within the context of baseball -- the ultimate statistics-obsessed sport -- any claim about something that happens in one league once every five or six years just doesn't seem terribly impressive to me.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 18, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

You stay classy Nolan Reimold...

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | September 19, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

How can it piss you off how much coverage the Post gives the Nats? It's DC's team and this is DC's newspaper if you want to read about the Orioles read the Baltimore Sun.

Posted by: GuzDukes | September 19, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Those pictures look like something that would be used for Reimold's obituary. I was nervously expecting to read that he died.

Posted by: sitruc | September 20, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse