Ovechkin Dismisses Boomer Esiason, NYC

(Photos by Michael Cohen - Getty)

When I was wandering around Broadway Wednesday afternoon, I saw a guy in an Alex Ovechkin jersey. I asked him if he knew where the event was starting. He stared at me blankly. Turned out he was just a random dude walking around Manhattan in an Ovechkin jersey.

The sort of indifferent way that Ovechkin dropped into midtown might have been the best part of Wednesday's proceedings. Some fans got into it--Rangers fans shouted "Let's Go Rangers," Caps fans booed, and others chanted his name--but Ovechkin just didn't seem to care that much. That attitude also came through during his Wednesday morning appearance on WFAN's Boomer and Carton Show. The hosts asked him at some point what he thought of New York.

"Well, it's not bad," Ovechkin said. "It's not best place in the world, but it's ok."

And a thousand Washingtonians breathed sweet sighs of joy. What's better than the City, the hosts asked him incredulously.

"Moscow," he said. "Yeah. It's like Moscow first, second Washington, uh...New York probably third or fourth."

Now, maybe he was doing this intentionally, to tweak New York and New Yorkers and the radio hosts that shout at them, but it just sounded like a casual dagger to me, tossed aimlessly over his shoulder while sliding through life, an arrow to-nowhere that somehow found its target and then turned out to be awesome.

Later, he was asked if he knew that Rangers fans hated him.

"They hate me?" he repeated indifferently. "You know what? They hate me."

And he was asked whether he thought new Ranger Donald Brashear might now punch him in the face.

"No, no, no," Ovechkin said. "Probably he's still my friend and probably he's gonna punch you, not me."

Still, nothing could top the opening of the segment, when Ovechkin was asked whether he knows who Boomer Esiason is.

"Boomer?" Ovechkin repeated.

"Yeah, do you know who that is?" he was asked again.

"No, who's that?" Ovechkin said.

"Well, you're talking to him, Alex," Boomer said, presumably while running copies of his mint-edition rookie card through his gorgeous fluffy hair.

"The guy who give me the phone said you're gonna be talk with Boomer, so...." Ovechkin said, presumably while texting with 14 Russian models.

Carton then told this hilarious story about how Boomer was really a garbage man from Brooklyn. Boomer seconded this story. Ovechkin paused, then paused again, then paused some more.

"Ok," he said, with all the passion of an ex-NFL QB asked to do a book report on Lermontov. He just doesn't care about you guys. Sorry.

"That was uncomfortable," Esiason said after the brief interview ended, pointing out that Ovechkin "has a hard time speaking English."

"The NHL's got to do a better job than that," Carton said. "They've got to put Sidney Crosby on the phone."

Then Carton said that the only way Donald Brashear can make amends to Rangers fans is by taking Ovechkin out, and that everyone tells him Moscow is beautiful but that he has no interest in ever going.

Good one, man. That one stung.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 10, 2009; 2:17 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RFK Continues to Fall Apart
Next: More Ovechkin Zamboni Video

Comments

This is like when Elliot used to ask Ovie stupid questions and then blame the awkward pauses on a language barrier.

Yes, please do put Crosby on the phone. New Yorkers could use a collective nap.

Posted by: CapsChick | September 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ah New Yorkers. They really think they and their city are the greatest in the world. Call me when most of your city stops being a smelly, expensive eyesore.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

wait, ovie doesnt know who boomer esiason is? shocking considering boomer hasnt been relevant in this country as long as ovie's been here. i'm pretty sure ovie doesnt sit around watching old bengals highlights or study the history of maryland qbs. for sure he doesnt stream the boomer and carton show on the internet in moscow/dc.

what a bunch of NYC centric tools. nobody told them ovie doesnt speak the queens english? go call sidney and listen to a bunch of rehased/rehearsed sports cliches...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 10, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

hey steinberg, more pictures of the blonde girl in the first picture please

Posted by: _stevo | September 10, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could've went to NY to catch Ovie, Serena playing in tonight's US Open and Mr. Chow's place for some good eats.....

Rangers fan still think Mark Messier is walking through that door......

Posted by: ENJOYA | September 10, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Who are these kooks Boomer and Carton!! It's bad when interviewers think they are more important than the interviewees!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 10, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

boomer & carton = double D-bag

Posted by: doughless | September 10, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Who is the blonde? Please tell me that's Ovie's girl and not the dbags.

Posted by: City11 | September 10, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Ovie has much hotter girls than that one. She's like a 6.5.

Posted by: ejohnsto | September 10, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin does not get nearly enough credit for his sense of humor. He may be the funniest superstar in all professional sports. Clowns like boomer and the other guy blame Ovie's english when he makes them look stupid, like the people in Borat.

Sad how far Boomer has fallen from the Terrapin tree.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | September 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

She's a 7 at leastttt.

Posted by: City11 | September 10, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I have friends who are NYR fans and they would give up limbs to have Ovie in a blueshirt. (And they can't stand Crosby either.)

Posted by: jyjr16 | September 10, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Boomer should be more than thankful that he has a job; and not selling meat door to door like Ickey Woods.

Posted by: MNMNT | September 10, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why meeting "Boomer" would be exciting beyond Frankfort KY a decade ago. I'd better get those english lessons...

Posted by: redlineblue | September 10, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Boomer

How exactly would a Russian hockey player know about an NFL has been football quarterback?

You the man, Ovie. Nice play.

Posted by: Greg S. | September 10, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I know 2 people who knew Esiason when he was at UMD. They both say he was a real a-hole.

Posted by: alanb1 | September 10, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Boomer, goofing on anyone who can speak more languages than him is a joke. This guys was irrelevant even when he was a football "star". Ovechkin will go to the NHL Hall of Fame..... MVP back to back years with the likes of Crosby and Malkin as his main competition??? Awesome!!!!!

Posted by: ScubaTurtle | September 10, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

peteywheatstraw, I agree with you 100%. His dry wit leaves those without a sense of humor confused--and they blame their confusion on the language barrier. I love it when Ovie makes it clear he could care less what those idiots think.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 10, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

This comment shows how little these two know NY Rangers fans. NY Rangers fans hate Crosby with a passion. One quick glance at their message board and they would have known that. It doesn’t matter though. I doubt these two clowns will get another chance to interview a hockey player.

Posted by: dana2020 | September 10, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Ovie and Crosby may be the only two NHL names they know!!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | September 10, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

boomer isn't exactly shakespeare himself. I met him in a bar in college park and he came off as arrogant and oblivious. good for ovie. nothing worse than the "don't you know who I am" jerk. no, why should I?

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | September 11, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I met Boomer at a golf tournament with a bunch of NFL quarterbacks and stuff, and I thought Boomer was just slightly better than Bubby Brister on the a-hole scale. Dan Marino reeked of beer that day.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Why should Ovie know who Boomer is? He was barely relevant when he played. And Ovie's comments about NYC were great. His "I'll say what I want and don't care what you think" attitude is priceless. We're very lucky he's playing in DC.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 11, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

My husband said it best about Boomer and Carton- they try to be funny but they're just stupid.
Just because Ovie didn't fawn over them and NY doesn't mean he has trouble with English.
I guess they would be surprised to hear Brash has already said he wants to visit Russia.

Posted by: kimsumo | September 12, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse